Quantcast

Newz: 'It's a pay scale for the Iraqis: $700 for a tank attack, $1k for a helecopter

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
'It's a pay scale for the Iraqis: $700 for an attack on a tank; $1,000 for a helicopter'
Michael Howard in Falluja
The Guardian UK

The successful attack on a US helicopter six miles to the south, was a cause for celebration for the neighbourhood graffiti artists. Youths with spray cans competed with each other to be the first to celebrate the "successful operation" against American soldiers.

On a shop wall in the Al Rissalah district, Mohammed al-Zhorbai marked up the number of dead Americans from yesterday's attack as 60, and entreated the "noble heroes of the resistance," to keep harassing and killing "occupation force until the foes leave our land".

That morning he had danced in the street while a jeep carrying four US soldiers burned near the bridge spanning the Euphrates river, the victims of a roadside bomb in an area known to locals as "the American cemetery."
READ MORE

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
"Two fifty for an eyeball....and a buck and half for an ear
Happy hour, happy hour happy hour is here..."

Nothing to do with anything... the title of the thread made me think of it...

(And I'll wager a quarter that no-one outside of Canada knows what it's from...)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
All I know is that if the USA were invaded, I would be doing the same thing if I could. It sucks that people are dying over there, but they knew what they could get into when they enlisted.

Can you really blame people for trying to defend their home?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by Tenchiro
All I know is that if the USA were invaded, I would be doing the same thing if I could.
"invaded" you'd act, but what about "attacked"? Which, by the way, can't be done unless first "invaded".
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Can you really blame people for trying to defend their home?
you mean us, right?
if not, then i guess i can't appreciate criminals for wanting to keep their allah-given right to torture, rape, torture some more, spread hate (the kind of hate you can't begin to appreciate), breed terrorism, proxy-brainwash people like you, treat women like chattel... but, maybe i misunderstood how you perceive those "people" who "defend their home".

please, elaborate in unambiguous terms so as to not have your position mischaracterised. A lesser person would take your remarks to mean "we deserved it" & "we had it coming".

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by MMike

(And I'll wager a quarter that no-one outside of Canada knows what it's from...)
Little Bones...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by $tinkle
please, elaborate in unambiguous terms so as to not have your position mischaracterised. A lesser person would take your remarks to mean "we deserved it" & "we had it coming".
Say for example, the US was invaded by China. For the same reasons we invaded Iraq. I would do my best, to rid my homeland of the invader. Now if I had a shoulder fired RPG and I saw an enemy helicopter full of soldiers I would do my best to shoot it down.

No individual deserves to die, nor did they "have it coming". But soldiers know what time it is, they know that when they enlist they may be called to action to defend their country with their lives if need be. That is what they signed up for. I am not unsympathetic for the casualties of war, it really sucks that people wholly unresponsible for what is going on there are paying with their lives.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
i can't appreciate criminals for wanting to keep their allah-given right to torture, rape, torture some more, spread hate (the kind of hate you can't begin to appreciate), breed terrorism, proxy-brainwash people like you, treat women like chattel... but, maybe i misunderstood how you perceive those "people" who "defend their home".
When we stop being all buddy buddy with Saudi Arabia, you may have a point.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
"invaded" you'd act, but what about "attacked"? Which, by the way, can't be done unless first "invaded".
you mean us, right?
if not, then i guess i can't appreciate criminals for wanting to keep their allah-given right to torture, rape, torture some more, spread hate (the kind of hate you can't begin to appreciate), breed terrorism, proxy-brainwash people like you, treat women like chattel... but, maybe i misunderstood how you perceive those "people" who "defend their home".

defend??, u DEFEND only in your territory, any other war or conflict not fought on your territory is an ATTACK. is Iraq part of the US??? (not yet), then if the US have a fight in Iraq (outside its 50 states), then thats no defense.
dont come with that pre-emptive attack crap!.

the romans used to justify their wars saying all of them were "defensive" wars, even though they were fought 3000 miles away from rome.
its quite lame that 2000 years after there are still idiots who swallow that load of bullcrap.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by ALEXIS_DH
defend??, u DEFEND only in your territory, any other war or conflict not fought on your territory is an ATTACK. is Iraq part of the US??? (not yet), then if the US have a fight in Iraq (outside its 50 states), then thats no defense.
dont come with that pre-emptive attack crap!.

the romans used to justify their wars saying all of them were "defensive" wars, even though they were fought 3000 miles away from rome.
its quite lame that 2000 years after there are still idiots who swallow that load of bullcrap.
While I agree with what you have wrote for the most part....I feel it is missdirected.

The battle lines aren't as clear as that. Iraq invaded Kuwait....we an outside country pushed them back. Tell me who brought about the war? Iraq did. So little less with the sass Mr. :D

War on terror (happening in Afgahnistan) is not a territorial war. They (terrorists) hit us and made us bleed. Unfortunately, Afgahnistan was targeted as a place where guys who hit us like to hang out.

Drawing close ties to Rome and the US is really a stretch. In the nitty gritty it is different, but whatever floats your boat, eh?

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
proxy-brainwash people like you
You are so funny.

I could listen to Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter or any of the people on Fox News today and by tomorrow you would be saying the same stuff.

Seriously dude you need to turn the radio and TV off and read a book or two.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by ummbikes
You are so funny.

I could listen to Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter or any of the people on Fox News today and by tomorrow you would be saying the same stuff.

not to mention pulling his head out of his ass.

Yes everyone ELSE is brainwashed.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The Iraqi invasion is about changing the Middle East by bringing them out of the middle ages mentality of tribal warfare and into the fold of democracy.

If sucessful the US ensures stability and peace in the region and deminishes the threat of a repeat of Sept 11.

If unsucessful then repeats of Sept 11 are almost certian....

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by N8
The Iraqi invasion is about changing the Middle East by bringing them out of the middle ages mentality of tribal warfare and into the fold of democracy.

If sucessful the US ensures stability and peace in the region and deminishes the threat of a repeat of Sept 11.

If unsucessful then repeats of Sept 11 are almost certian....
What happens when the first time they have free elections, they elect a muslim cleric to the presidency who declares Sharia to be the law of the land?

Democracy, right?

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by N8

I say the occupation is about securing the U.S. oil supply, maintaining U.S. dollar hegemony and having the ability to stick it to Europe, China and Japan in the future as their oil needs increase.

The U.S. government is not in the democracy business.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I say the occupation is about securing the U.S. oil supply, maintaining U.S. dollar hegemony and having the ability to stick it to Europe, China and Japan in the future as their oil needs increase.
:rolleyes:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

The U.S. government is not in the democracy business.
True, but I feel the war was more about revenge than anything else......someone had to pay for Sep 11. Sad thing is it looks like the all stick and no carrot policy is coming back to bite the Americans and their allies on the arse. It may all still work out well but it ain't lookin' good.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA

fitty-cents!!!!

.... was 38 years old, never kissed a girl.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
bush didn't have to do anything. its funny how the rest of the world was vying for diplomacy for IRAQ, whereas boosh wanted to go to war. is this how democracy is set up?

you fight violence with violence. as such, you'll have a hard time gettin peace.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I heard that they think Saddam Hussein is responsible for these recent attacks where US soldiers have done been blowed up....someone should really do something about that guy....
..so are you volunteering then...???

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
You are so funny.

i s'pose NPR is mainstream? there's a reason why they do fundraisers & suck the gov't teat - they'd never turn a buck if they went commercial. Oh, and my favorite NPR programs are The Infinite Mind (Dr Fred Goodwin), This American Life (Ira Glass), & Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me (Carl Castle, et al). Yes, i support them, even though they have an uneven political bent.

ad-hominem meets reductio ad absurdum. Well, allow me to retort.

i've picked up no less than 20 books this year - with Charles Murray's Human Accomplishment in the hopper - most of which out of pleasure, not obligation to education or employment. And of those, there aren't very many pictures or pop-ups. Maybe i should get "enlightened" by hillary, micheal moore, paul begala, al franken, noam chomsky? I bet if i echoed their collective drivel here, you might lead us in harrumphs around the log.

Did you get your thousands of posts while reading kirkegaard?
or gary larson...

fwd this to your girlfriend, Transgender

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
i s'pose NPR is mainstream? there's a reason why they do fundraisers & suck the gov't teat - they'd never turn a buck if they went commercial. Oh, and my favorite NPR programs are The Infinite Mind (Dr Fred Goodwin), This American Life (Ira Glass), & Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me (Carl Castle, et al). Yes, i support them, even though they have an uneven political bent.

i've picked up no less than 20 books this year - with Charles Murray's Human Accomplishment in the hopper - most of which out of pleasure, not obligation to education or employment. And of those, there aren't very many pictures or pop-ups. Maybe i should get "enlightened" by hillary, micheal moore, paul begala, al franken, noam chomsky? I bet if i echoed their collective drivel here, you might lead us in harrumphs around the log.

or gary larson...

HEY!!! Don't be dragging "The Far Side" down to this level!!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001

or gary larson...

I was so distracted by the Far side reference....I forgot to read this post... That's damned funny stuff! I've been eclipsed! ...harrumphs around the log... hehe...

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
No, it was by repeating the drivel of the neo-conservatives...

Chomsky is a good writer, he scares people because he tells the truth and backs it up by exhaustive notation. I haven't noticed any pop-ups in the books on my reading lists but I'll be ever vigilant in watching out for them.

Moore is humorous stuff, some excellent content, a true patriot.

I'm no fan of the Clinton's or thier ilk.

Franken, not hardly, he's the popcorn shrimp of political writing.

NPR- mostly mainstream. I like Praire Home Companion, Car Talk and Justice Talking. On Pacifica, Democracy Now is a great show.

Really the best bet is to not listen to talk radio or TV for a week, read the NY Times, check out Google News for foriegn news and then go back to the toob and radio. I was suprised how much better informed I was after a break. I swear the experts (both conservative and left) on TV and Radio must simply avoid watching or listening to TV and radio and just following news via the papers or indy media because I just don't see the truth being easy find in 30 seconds or less of sound bites on TV and biased rants on talk radio.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Chomsky is a good writer, he scares people because he tells the truth and backs it up by exhaustive notation.
when coulter's latest book came out, one of the "scathing reviews" was that she used too many references in her biblio - as if she thought people would doubt her.

Franken, not hardly, he's the popcorn shrimp of political writing.
that's funny.
NPR- mostly mainstream. I like Praire Home Companion, Car Talk and Justice Talking. On Pacifica, Democracy Now is a great show.
"cafe brrf", "guy noir" :)
being a former owner of 4 dodge darts, i cannot believe i forgot clik-n-clak

Really the best bet is to not listen to talk radio or TV for a week, read the NY Times, check out Google News for foriegn news and then go back to the toob and radio. I was suprised how much better informed I was after a break. I swear the experts (both conservative and left) on TV and Radio must simply avoid watching or listening to TV and radio and just following news via the papers or indy media because I just don't see the truth being easy find in 30 seconds or less of sound bites on TV and biased rants on talk radio.
true.
i also like hindustantimes, scotsman, csmonitor. gotta problem w/ maureen dowd @ NYT, however.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
While I agree with what you have wrote for the most part....I feel it is missdirected.

The battle lines aren't as clear as that. Iraq invaded Kuwait....we an outside country pushed them back. Tell me who brought about the war? Iraq did. So little less with the sass Mr. :D

War on terror (happening in Afgahnistan) is not a territorial war. They (terrorists) hit us and made us bleed. Unfortunately, Afgahnistan was targeted as a place where guys who hit us like to hang out.

Drawing close ties to Rome and the US is really a stretch. In the nitty gritty it is different, but whatever floats your boat, eh?
yup thats true. but there is something called soveirgnity (or however its spelled), battle lines may not be as clear. and the enemy might not be obvious and thats where the problem lies. in the sake of a defensive war, other nation rights were violated.
kuwait has very little to do with this war.

before u can occupy a country, that country has to aprove, and if that country is part of the foes and doesnt want to, then UN has to aprove. thats elementary international laws.

unlawfully invading (if UN aproved, then it would have been legal) and occupying a country is not exactly legal nor ethical. since its beginning it all started on a wrong assumption that iraq was the source of problem. going over a establish set of laws.
í´d have no objection if the UN decided invading iraq was right. they are the maximum international authority chosen by most countries. not the US.
both the US and iraq did not obbey UN resolutions.

rome and the US while are very different, still keep some key similarities. i think history goes on cycles., with some fundamental principles applied. rome, spain, great britain, US, all share some operational similarities.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
kuwait has very little to do with this war.
res 678 was drafted as part of the cease fire agreement between iraq, kuwait, & UN member states back in 1990 - and was pivitol in drafting res 1441
unlawfully invading (if UN aproved, then it would have been legal) and occupying a country is not exactly legal nor ethical. since its beginning it all started on a wrong assumption that iraq was the source of problem. going over a establish set of laws.
í´d have no objection if the UN decided invading iraq was right. they are the maximum international authority chosen by most countries. not the US.
both the US and iraq did not obbey UN resolutions.
then, just what did the United Nations mean by this: (excerpt from Resolution 1441)
Recalling that its resolution 678 (1990) authorized Member States to use all necessary means to uphold and implement its resolution 660 (1990) of 2 August 1990 and all relevant resolutions subsequent to resolution 660 (1990) and to restore international peace and security in the area