Quantcast

Newz: Limbaugh Resigns Over Comments on McNabb

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Limbaugh Resigns Over Comments on McNabb
Thu Oct 2,12:33 AM ET

NEW YORK - Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh resigned from ESPN on Wednesday night, three days after saying Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb is overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.
READ MORE

N8Note: So... is Rush's comments true??? I am not a football fan so I have no idea... Any Philly fans wanna comment?

:confused:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Despite the Eagles performance so far this year I think that Mcnabb is a great quarterback, better than %50 of the other NFL starting QBs. I don't even want to discuss Rush's theory but it was obvious he was trying pull politics into the conversation and he picked the wrong QB to pull it on. He may have had a bit of ground to stand on if he was talking about Cordell Steward (not supporting Rush's theory, just busting on Cordell).

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Westy
Cordell Steward
:nuts:

As a Bears fan, I cannot stand him.

I also think Rush is a complete and total biggot. He's the jerkoff that said the best way to cure crime in the inner city is to start midnight basketball leauges. In my book, he's a racist, and this only puts another layer of icing on the cake.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
There is never any excuse for racial discrimination of any kind (affirmitive action included).

Rush as a pompus a-hole... but makes sense occationally.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
I heard that he resigned in anticipation of the Daily News story about his drug abuse.. apparently he was purhcasing synthtic opiates through his maid or something.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
If I'm not mistaken Rush's comment was regarding the media and not McNabb directly. From what I have read, Mcnabb's stats from the begining of his QB at Philly weren't too good.

It looks like the PC police are on the prowl again.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
:nuts:

A best way to cure crime in the inner city is to start midnight basketball leauges.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is wrong with that?
Don't people start CYO and 4H clubs to give kids something to do besides hang on the corner after school? I mean, you could do the same thing in some trailer park and keep the white people from getting drunk and beligerent too... I don't see this one as race specific.

As for the McNabb comment, THAT is blatent racism and Rush can go to hell for all I care. F'in hate that dude.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Andyman_1970
If I'm not mistaken Rush's comment was regarding the media and not McNabb directly. From what I have read, Mcnabb's stats from the begining of his QB at Philly weren't too good.

It looks like the PC police are on the prowl again.
PC police?

How about the fact that when I'm watching football, I don't need paranoid fantasies about (cue scary music)LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS(stop scary music) from a fat white guy who couldn't run from the buffet table to the bar without breaking a sweat.

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
What on earth was even DOING there in the first place? That makes about as much sense as Dennis Miller on MNF a few years ago. Ooooooooo John Madden:love:

And I read the comment, and PC police or no, it was racist.

The Cheese

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
How was what he said racist? I read the comments he made also. To paraphrase: the media made his performance appear better that is actually was because they (the media) wanted a black QB to be popular. I will admit that was a paraphrase and not a quite totally a quote.

Rush did not say McNabb was a "bad" QB because he was black, he said he was not as good as the media made him out to be. How is that racist? Because Rush called him black and not African-American? It appears Rush was bashing the mindless media, not McNabb.

You can think what you want about Rush, but just saying he is a racist bigot, because he used a sentence on air with the word "black" in it doesn't help me see your point of how exactly he is racist.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
PC police?

How about the fact that when I'm watching football, I don't need paranoid fantasies about (cue scary music)LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS(stop scary music) from a fat white guy who couldn't run from the buffet table to the bar without breaking a sweat.
who's the racist now, whitey? i see you have only 2 interpretations:

1: white people are fair game for being labeled as racists without first making a fact-based case
2: you're white & may level that charge (i.e. you've "earned" the right)

i have parsed what he said, & hey guess what: the evidence leans heavily in his favour.

it's a darn shame when someone is judged by the content of their character & not the color of their skin. sound familiar?

oh, to pre-empt any other knee-jerk assumptions you may have, i'm not a ditto-head, nor a lock-step, card-carrying registered freeper.

unburden yourself of white guilt

i agree rush has no business on espn speaking to their audience. he's out of his element (pearls before swine)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by $tinkle
who's the racist now, whitey? i see you have only 2 interpretations:

1: white people are fair game for being labeled as racists without first making a fact-based case
2: you're white & may level that charge (i.e. you've "earned" the right)

i have parsed what he said, & hey guess what: the evidence leans heavily in his favour.

it's a darn shame when someone is judged by the content of their character & not the color of their skin. sound familiar?

oh, to pre-empt any other knee-jerk assumptions you may have, i'm not a ditto-head, nor a lock-step, card-carrying registered freeper.

unburden yourself of white guilt

i agree rush has no business on espn speaking to their audience. he's out of his element (pearls before swine)
WTF?

I mentioned the fact that he was white merely because he think the media is out to push black quarterbacks onto the unsuspecting white man.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
I'm not a Rush fan, a bit too heavy on the bombast for my taste, but what he said was: "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Hardly racist.

There is a significant element of truth in what he says here.
McNabb is good, but he isn't as great as the media reports him to be. The media, and the NFL both have significant intrest in the sucess of a black QB. Not for finnancial gain, but for credibility.

IMO this is much adoo (sp?) about nothing. As polarizing a figure as Limbaugh is, it was only a matter of time before a detractor (and there are many) found SOMETHING to latch onto.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The funniest thing about this thread is the Cordell Steward commentary. LOL

What the hell is Rush Limbaugh doing analyzing for ESPN anyway? :confused: I have no comment about what he said because I really could not care less. IMO, McNabb is quite the talented QB.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Damn True
I'm not a Rush fan, a bit too heavy on the bombast for my taste, but what he said was: "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Hardly racist.

McNabb is good, but he isn't as great as the media reports him to be. The media, and the NFL both have significant intrest in the sucess of a black QB. Not for finnancial gain, but for credibility.

IMO this is much adoo (sp?) about nothing. As polarizing a figure as Limbaugh is, it was only a matter of time before a detractor (and there are many) found SOMETHING to latch onto.
If not racist, it's still stupid.

Vick, Blake, Culpepper, McNabb, McNair, Brooks, Carter, Stewart.

What do they have in common? Black quarterbacks. It's hardly like the media is pushing the one token black quarterback they could latch onto.

Maybe he was fuzzy that day from one too many Vicodins....

:D

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed

Hardly racist.

:stupid:

I am happy he is gone because I thought he sucked as a sports commentator. If I wanted to watch boring stuffed-shirt political pontificators, I would have tuned in to one of the many programs catering to them that deservedly get poor viewership. Watching football should be an escape from such crap. I don't agree with the means but I am certainly pleased with the ends.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State

I totally agree, this is a tempest in a teapot. If it would have been any other announcer (black or white) that would have made those comments, this would have never even been an issue.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The media, and the NFL both have significant intrest in the sucess of a black QB. Not for finnancial gain, but for credibility.
please define and expand upon this "significant" interest.

DaKahuna

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Lake Elsinore, CA
And his comment is not actually even "political", it's about the media. I still don't think that the statement he made is appropriate for the setting. I think that if given the opportunity, he could explain a well-reasoned (in his mind, I don't know enough to agree or disagree) conclusion he has come to. But again, I would say that type of commentary was inappropriate for the setting. He has his radio show for that stuff.

There are a couple of things I'd like to add.
Deion Snaders made a comment that went totally unnoticed recently. When being asked to discuss game planning, he said when you have a lead, you go to your "Big Black Back" in the second half. Rush would have been canned for saying something like that! On Thursday, TV and radio star Steve Harvey spoke at a radio industry awards event and said something close to "well you know WE can joke about race, but the rest of you can't". Everyone understood that he truly was only half joking. There IS a double standard in the media and in our culture!
Also, I think that the same people that jump right out shouting "Rush is a racist" because they disagree with his politics are the same people who would make the same stupid generalizations about all conservatives - even after conservatives appoint more minorities to more and higher positions of power in this country than the liberals have. When you say Colin Powell or Condalisa (sp?) Rice, they say "sell-out" or "uncle tom" or "token". Neither job is "token". When you ask about why the democrats allowed Senator Robert Bird (an admitted former KKK member!) to lead their party for many years, they say "oh he changed his ways, he doesn't believe that anymore". Those same people and the same media give Cruz Bustamante a total pass for his membership in MECHA whose official slogan is "For the race, everything. For those outside the race, nothing." And he has refused to renounce that slogan as wrong.
I'm so sick of politics....

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Aww f*ck the 'mericans are talkin' about ice hockey again. BBBBOOOORRRIIIINNNGGG, all that slam dunkin' crap gets on my tits. Barry Bonds can suck my poodles donkey:D
P.S- Is Rush his real name- "RUSH" WTF- his parents musta hated him.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Originally posted by valve bouncer

P.S- Is Rush his real name- "RUSH" WTF- his parents musta hated him.
hey, it coulda been worse... he coulda been called 'a$$rush' or something... i figure it s just one of those unique american names... along the lines of... 'stone , wolf , tyrone , jamal ' etc

:devil:

partsbara

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
well, I find it hard to believe that Philly is going nice on McNabb... isn't Philly the place where they boo'ed Santa Claus? How do you boo Santa? If you can boo the jolly guy who brings presents and cheer, you won't go easy on a QB.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
In terms of Limbaugh's "cred" as a sports commentator, he spent about six years as the radio announcer for the KC Royals and Chiefs before he began his current show format in Sacramento.

BTW, most of the top announcers never played.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by Silver
PC police?

BWAAA! That's funny! I always like it when someone confirms my opinion of a situation, and does it with humor.

If I may badly paraphrase a very funny man who also shares the same political views as myself: "The media has a bias: it's called profit."

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by DaKahuna
And his comment is not actually even "political", it's about the media. I still don't think that the statement he made is appropriate for the setting. I think that if given the opportunity, he could explain a well-reasoned (in his mind, I don't know enough to agree or disagree) conclusion he has come to. But again, I would say that type of commentary was inappropriate for the setting. He has his radio show for that stuff.

There are a couple of things I'd like to add.
Deion Snaders made a comment that went totally unnoticed recently. When being asked to discuss game planning, he said when you have a lead, you go to your "Big Black Back" in the second half. Rush would have been canned for saying something like that! On Thursday, TV and radio star Steve Harvey spoke at a radio industry awards event and said something close to "well you know WE can joke about race, but the rest of you can't". Everyone understood that he truly was only half joking. There IS a double standard in the media and in our culture!
Also, I think that the same people that jump right out shouting "Rush is a racist" because they disagree with his politics are the same people who would make the same stupid generalizations about all conservatives - even after conservatives appoint more minorities to more and higher positions of power in this country than the liberals have. When you say Colin Powell or Condalisa (sp?) Rice, they say "sell-out" or "uncle tom" or "token". Neither job is "token". When you ask about why the democrats allowed Senator Robert Bird (an admitted former KKK member!) to lead their party for many years, they say "oh he changed his ways, he doesn't believe that anymore". Those same people and the same media give Cruz Bustamante a total pass for his membership in MECHA whose official slogan is "For the race, everything. For those outside the race, nothing." And he has refused to renounce that slogan as wrong.
I'm so sick of politics....

I think they call this plagiarsim, where yout ake credit for someone else's work:rolleyes:

You're not theonly one who reads ESPN Page 2.