Quantcast

Newz not for Coffee Luvin' Monkeys

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Takin' a big gulp and refusing to be intimidated!

Coffee Tied to Inflammation, Perhaps Heart Disease
Reuters | 10/20/04

Consuming moderate-to-high amounts of coffee is associated with increased levels of several inflammatory markers, a finding that could help explain previous reports linking the beverage to heart disease. Ongoing, low-level inflammation is thought to be an underlying factor in the development of heart disease.

The latest findings, which appear in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, are based on a study of about 3000 subjects with no history of cardiovascular disease. A food-frequency questionnaire was used to assess coffee intake, and blood samples were tested for levels of various compounds that are known to promote, or are a marker of, inflammation.

Compared with subjects who did not drink coffee, those who consumed more than about 1 cup of the beverage per day had significantly higher levels of all the inflammatory markers tested, Dr. Demosthenes B. Panagiotakos, from Harokopio University in Athens, and colleagues report.

The results held true even after factoring in age, gender, smoking, body weight, physical activity, and other potential confounders, the researchers point out.

Although the findings provide a mechanism by which coffee intake could promote heart disease, the authors note that not all previous studies have identified an association between the two. Hence, further studies are needed to confirm the present findings.

SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, October 2004.

Racer-X

Monkey
Oct 16, 2004
SNOWSHOE
whoa.
that's kind of scary,but at the same time,sad.

coffee is one of my favorite things...i'm gonna whoop it's ass if it gives me heart disease.

do you have any other links to more information about this subject? thanks!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Bah. They find something new every day that's bad for you.

Everything in moderation. If you live a good, healthy lifestyle and don't drink seventy three cups of coffee every day, chances are it's NOT gonna give you heart disease. Everything is linked to something or other - heart disease, cancer, lung disease, kidney disease... Blah blah blah blah, drink your coffee and enjoy it :D

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
an article a few months ago said it prevents type 2 diabetes & something else too, so tit-for-tat.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Holly crap...(i remember the eggs are good, eggs are bad, eggs are good, eggs are bad again, thing). But if it proves true. I would think the most important thing would be to keep pop away from kids..... I wonder what a mountain dew or two everyday starting when your 14 or so will do...Scarry sheeite man....

I dont think I can give up my coffee...It goes so well with grass.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
When I ultimately die of a massive coronary event before retirement age, at least I will not have had to suffer a bland existence devoid of all the naughty little vices that add spice to life.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
golgiaparatus said:
I wonder if coffee could have an effect on types of inflamation like Tendonitis :think:

yes it does because it is a dieuretic as well. it dehydrates you. keeping hydrated properly helps prevent joint/tendon inflammation as well as aids the lubrication cartilage.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
biggins said:
yes it does because it is a dieuretic as well. it dehydrates you. keeping hydrated properly helps prevent joint/tendon inflammation as well as aids the lubrication cartilage.
Hmm... maybe I should give the coffee a rest for a while.
I have a pretty bad case of tendonitis in my right shoulder right now and it comes and goes in my left. Heavily affects my riding schedule and affects my drumming as well.

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
I dont care.. Im addicted and i am now in the stages of "Need caffine to live" so..

I didn't hear that =)

Besides.. i just wub the taste of strong black hot coffe..

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Is there anything that COFFEE can't do. Ahhhhh... the black blood of life. It can wake you up, it can kill you. Can't get it moving in the morning on the john... have some coffee! Headache? Have some coffee! Before breakfast and after dinner, it's coffee!

I love coffee... almost as much as I love beer! :heart:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Now you have me worried, but wouldn;t all the riding ect counter act the bad effect of coffee on your heart? :confused: