Quantcast

Next bike for the kid

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Alright, my daughter is a little over 3 and has been on a strider since she was 1. She is good on the strider and I'm looking for the next bike for her, suggestions? I thought about getting her a mini BMX bike (there is a BMX track down the street). Her current bike doesn't have brakes, so she'll have to learn to brake and pedal. I know some of you have been through this, so I appreciate any suggestions or tips.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Alright, my daughter is a little over 3 and has been on a strider since she was 1. She is good on the strider and I'm looking for the next bike for her, suggestions? I thought about getting her a mini BMX bike (there is a BMX track down the street). Her current bike doesn't have brakes, so she'll have to learn to brake and pedal. I know some of you have been through this, so I appreciate any suggestions or tips.
The (competitor's cough, cough) families and riding with children's forum has proved useful to me.

http://forums.mtbr.com/families-riding-kids/

Seems like redline is the $$ but lightest if your girly is petite like mine.

I got mine a HEAVY BMX style 16" wheels once shed outgrown the 12" Haro, and wish I'd spent a bit more to keep it comfy... especially since little guy will be hot on her tail...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Maddie's first pedal bike was a walmart crap 12" bike I got used off CL for $20, then a 16" crap bike, then when she was ready for the 20", we went to the lbs and got her a pimp cruiser. She liked it, but wanted something she could haul ass on, so the search continued.

I found a killer OG Powerlite junior that I repainted and upgraded a few things (less than $100 total). It was a real head turner at the track, all the dad's loved it.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Personally, I wouldn't spend any real money on a 12"; those things get outgrown in the blink of an eye. Unless your kid's really small of course.

You could grab a cheapy at a yard sale for $20 and keep it just long enough to get the pedalling figured out (probably a matter of days if she's been rocking the Strider), then pick up a mini or micro-mini for the BMX track if you're thinking of racing or want a nice light bike for cruising trails etc. Either that or a decent 16" park-style bike if she's into that. Or one of each. :thumb:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I'd imagine that the bike you get will partially depend on her size. I think there is also a thread in the BMX section that deals with this, but if you go the mini or micro mini route, there are some general height recommendations out there. Micros rec's are usually 40 to 45" and minis are in the 45-52" range.

I went a similar path as you. My son rode a Skuut balance bike from age 2 to 3 or so, then a 12" Trek from 3-4, 16" BMX pit bike from 4-5 and is now on a DK Junior, which measures more like a mini, go figure.

For him, balance came early and well due to the balance bike, but we had some problems getting the pedaling motion down. It also took him some time adjusting to hand brakes, which pretty much sucked on the pit bike. Went through 4 pairs of shoes as he continued to use his "foot brakes".

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am in the same situation. I really like the Specialized bikes.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I can't get my daughter off her Stryder bike long enough to learn to pedal her 16" Hotrock. My plan was to leave the training wheels on it and let her pedal it and then take them off. But she wants no part of it. She is 4 now and still always chooses her "little" bike.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Personally, I wouldn't spend any real money on a 12"; those things get outgrown in the blink of an eye. Unless your kid's really small of course.
Maddie was tiny, I just couldn't justify spending money on something only I appreciated. :rofl:

Her walmart bike looked great with fresh paint. She never had a balance bike and had some issues with the training wheels until she got good at playing the Wii with fit board. She went from sketchy training wheels to nothing in a week after the Wii Fit. :D

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Between the ages of 4 and now almost 9 y/o, my kid has stuck with a 16" for park riding until a few weeks ago, before finally moving up to an 18". At the same time, he outgrew his 20" race mini by 7, and started Dhing a 24" mtb at 6. So, I guess, the type of riding has as much to do with picking the 'right' bike as does the size and age of the kid.

I can't get my daughter off her Stryder bike long enough to learn to pedal her 16" Hotrock. My plan was to leave the training wheels on it and let her pedal it and then take them off. But she wants no part of it. She is 4 now and still always chooses her "little" bike.
You might try stripping the cranks/pedals off the 16 and letting her use that like a Strider for a little while to get used to it before putting the drive parts back on.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i got this for my 6 years old nephew last sunday. its his first "functional" bike (besides the unrideable walmart special with trainning wheels her mom bought a couple years ago).

and i´m planning to get this for my 4 y.o. niece.

both look pretty sturdy. both are aluminium frames, although not very light.
hell the 20" was strong enough for me to ride on and drop a few curbs!.

i´d probably upgrade my nephew to a 20" redline once he learns to ride without trainning wheels and grows enough to fit a regular bmx.
i dont see a point in an expensive bike this early.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Pull the pedals off the Hotrock and take the rear reflector off the seatpost and slam it down. Instant Stryder.

We had to do that with Charisma and boom she loved it. Only took her a week before she wanted the pedals on it.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I bought a 20" race cruiser and set it up for general use for my daughter. She is 10 now and looks ridiculous riding the tiny bike, but she won't give it up. I'm looking at a 24 for her right now.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
I am in the same situation. I really like the Specialized bikes.
Agreed, my son has a 16in Hotrock that we'll most likely get another year out of. He just turned 5, and is slightly too short for the 16/18 inch bmx bikes I want to put him on. Fit, Kink, & Cult have the coolest bikes for kids now. Just scaled down versions of what their 20's look like.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
You should buy him some bigger, clunkier shoes. 10 times faster than a 24".
Considering I've got zero racing wins and he's got a few dozen, I let him pick his own biking shoes. But mebbe you can save me a trip over to MTBR - any recommendations on which carbon seatpost is best for a 2nd grader? :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
i got this for my 6 years old nephew last sunday. its his first "functional" bike (besides the unrideable walmart special with trainning wheels her mom bought a couple years ago).

and i´m planning to get this for my 4 y.o. niece.

both look pretty sturdy. both are aluminium frames, although not very light.
hell the 20" was strong enough for me to ride on and drop a few curbs!.

i´d probably upgrade my nephew to a 20" redline once he learns to ride without trainning wheels and grows enough to fit a regular bmx.
i dont see a point in an expensive bike this early.
My daughter had a Jamis Miss Daisy (her's was a 16" I believe). She rode the crap out of it! Now she has a 20" Trek with a hand brake and she's lovin it too!