Quantcast

Next trail bike scouting

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Hey there, I will be in the market for a new bike by the end of the year, so I decided I would start researching early. Would love to hear/read some opinions from the monkeys here about what I'm looking for. Ideally, my trail bike would be:
- 140-150mm rear travel,
- 29er,
- a very progressive/bottom out resisting suspension,
- short(ish) chainstays,
- 460-470 reach,
- ±64° HA,
- easy to throw around,
- 170mm dropper,
- ~$3000 budget.

A play bike, in a nutshell. I don't need fancy suspension knobs or top-tier shifting. Deore/SLX/GX is fine. Brakes could be upgraded later on.

My Polygon Siskiu T8 does ~90% of what I want, but it falls short in resisting bottom outs (with the biggest shock spacer available chucked in) when doing 4ft+ drops, which leads to a short bearing life. It could also be a tad more rigid.

I lost the opportunity to grab a Status 140 frame, that would have been tits. Frame-only suggestions are welcome, as I could maybe transplant all the components from the Siskiu (but this also limits rear travel to 140mm).

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
are you looking at $3k complete or frame only?
3k complete, budget build.

Banshee makes nice bikes that might fit your needs. Kona just dropped new versions of the process 153 and 134.
Banshees might be a tad difficult to get down here, I'll see what I could find in Chile. I've always had a thing for their frames!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
3k complete, budget build.

Banshees might be a tad difficult to get down here, I'll see what I could find in Chile. I've always had a thing for their frames!
good to know. Banshee would be your budget for just the frame. might be able to find a deal on a used one?

The newer stuff from Marin is solid from what i've heard, they've been flying under the radar the last few years putting out solid bikes at good prices. check the kona. maybe check some other consumer direct brands like Canyon and YT?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Banshee makes nice bikes that might fit your needs. Kona just dropped new versions of the process 153 and 134.
Haha, I was just looking at the Konas and thinking a short shocked 153 would be perfect for me, it's also $2999.
Kona.jpg

It's funny that they uploaded the image with the name- my23_process_153, new two year old bike coming soon!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You can get a Canfield tilt frame for about $1700.

all metal, no trunions or yokes, all bearings the same size, short stays, progressive enough for a coil

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Cannondale Habit LT isn't too far off your needs, might be on special by the time you want one.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Cannondale Habit LT isn't too far off your needs, might be on special by the time you want one.
Yokes are a joke. A friend cut the shaft off the shock of his Habit last week. He rides the same way I do, so it kinda made me wary of them.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yokes are a joke. A friend cut the shaft off the shock of his Habit last week. He rides the same way I do, so it kinda made me wary of them.
And you have a Polygon with no cracks in it? I would hang that thing on a wall forever.
I do agree that yokes aren't the best way to do things, I'm lazy and would ride the bearings till they seize and snap the eyelet or something.
What about a Bird Aeris? You can do a full build for under $2500 at the moment.

The website sucks.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
And you have a Polygon with no cracks in it? I would hang that thing on a wall forever.
It's still less than a year old (for me). The previous owner bought it as an XC rig and discovered he was overbiked. Fear of cracking is partly why I want to switch to something more trustable before it's too late.

What about a Bird Aeris? You can do a full build for under $2500 at the moment.
Again, here in Argentina importing a whole bike would be prohibitive due to customs taxes. I could maybe score something in Chile and have my brother in law bring it to me.

I'm thinking of tapping the previous owner (who is a Polygon/Marin dealer) and trying to get a Marin Rift Zone 29 XR. The newer ones with Horst Link seem to be burly/playful enough to suit my needs.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's still less than a year old (for me). The previous owner bought it as an XC rig and discovered he was overbiked. Fear of cracking is partly why I want to switch to something more trustable before it's too late.

Again, here in Argentina importing a whole bike would be prohibitive due to customs taxes. I could maybe score something in Chile and have my brother in law bring it to me.

I'm thinking of tapping the previous owner (who is a Polygon/Marin dealer) and trying to get a Marin Rift Zone 29 XR. The newer ones with Horst Link seem to be burly/playful enough to suit my needs.
What sort of tax rate do you get on an imported bike? I think we get 10% plus some bonus fee, plus the shipping company's made up charge on top of the postage. American stuff is off the table at the moment with our dollar so low, I'd love a Foes Mixer but my bank balance says no.

Are there any countries that attract a lower import tax or is the same from anywhere?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It's
What sort of tax rate do you get on an imported bike? I think we get 10% plus some bonus fee, plus the shipping company's made up charge on top of the postage. American stuff is off the table at the moment with our dollar so low, I'd love a Foes Mixer but my bank balance says no.

Are there any countries that attract a lower import tax or is the same from anywhere?
It's ludicrous. 50% of everything above 50 dollars (including shipping fees) if you buy online, 50% above 500 dollars if you travel abroad and bring a bike back with you.

That's why some Chilean stores offer to smuggle bikes to races near the Andes, but at the Argentinian side. They bring the bikes and leave with cash. The downside is they won't accept our pesos, we must pay in US dollars.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's

It's ludicrous. 50% of everything above 50 dollars (including shipping fees) if you buy online, 50% above 500 dollars if you travel abroad and bring a bike back with you.

That's why some Chilean stores offer to smuggle bikes to races near the Andes, but at the Argentinian side. They bring the bikes and leave with cash. The downside is they won't accept our pesos, we must pay in US dollars.
Wow, 50% is ludicrous indeed!
Could you get an American monkey to send you a "used bike" with a much lower price on it?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Wow, 50% is ludicrous indeed!
Could you get an American monkey to send you a "used bike" with a much lower price on it?
It'll still be something like ~300 bucks for shipping, with great chances of receiving a damaged bike. Last time I went to the US (2010) I came back with an Iron Horse frame. Now The Man™ is talking about hosting our 2025 management workshop in Connecticut, so maybe I'll hold on for now and try to find a deal there if the trip gets confirmed.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It'll still be something like ~300 bucks for shipping, with great chances of receiving a damaged bike. Last time I went to the US (2010) I came back with an Iron Horse frame. Now The Man™ is talking about hosting our 2025 management workshop in Connecticut, so maybe I'll hold on for now and try to find a deal there if the trip gets confirmed.
Can you travel with a bike and return with a different bike and not get taxed if they don't know it's different?
I remember my granddad do that with a fishing rod when I was a kid.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Can you travel with a bike and return with a different bike and not get taxed if they don't know it's different?
I remember my granddad do that with a fishing rod when I was a kid.
I was just explaining the virtues of black bikes to the shuttle group last night…