Quantcast

NFL offseason 2008 discussion

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
^ interesting idea. Of course, the money involved wouldn't allow that to happen.

Apparently,
? Why Chad, why?!

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
It's not like I havent seen him play, Steve-o. He was in nashville for a number of years before heading to SD, where he actually hasnt done anything yet. Heard too many stories of his arrogance, attitude, womanizing, drunkenness, etc. to consider him even a good dude, let alone the fact that he hasnt shown much on the field IMO. He fared well on a couple of occasions subbing from McNair, but he loves to throw INTs.
But he did get on the field in the indy game this year. took the bolts something like 80 yards and snuck in for a td. he may not be the best, but hes not a very bad clutch qb

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
^ interesting idea. Of course, the money involved wouldn't allow that to happen.
The bigger issue is that there isn't a network of lower leagues to bounce the teams that suck to. I don't think the $$ is inherantly an issue, because, like I said, the europeans pull it off, and soccer is a huge deal over there. The owners of the american teams would obviously never go for it though.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
True.

The 'network' of minor league teams is the NCAA.

Up next...
Chargers to play Saints in London

Jan. 27 (UNION-TRIBUNE)
LaDainian Tomlinson, Philip Rivers and Shawne Merriman – plus erstwhile San Diegans Drew Brees and Reggie Bush – will be part of the next wave of American football to infiltrate Europe.

The Chargers will play the New Orleans Saints in London on Oct. 26, sources confirmed yesterday. The game, just the NFL's second regular-season contest to be played outside North America, will most likely be at Wembley Stadium.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The 'network' of minor league teams is the NCAA.
So you're suggesting turning the Miami Dolphins into a university? Shouldn't they get their own sh*t together before they try to teach anybody else anything?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So you're suggesting turning the Miami Dolphins into a university? Shouldn't they get their own sh*t together before they try to teach anybody else anything?
Actually, the Dolphins look to be making a huge turn around. They've now got one of the best coaching, management and player evaluation staffs in the entire league.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Actually, the Dolphins look to be making a huge turn around. They've now got one of the best coaching, management and player evaluation staffs in the entire league.
OK, but under my/ euro rules, they'd be gone after going 1-15. They could mount their turnaround somewhere else.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
OK, but under my/ euro rules, they'd be gone after going 1-15. They could mount their turnaround somewhere else.
The two major issues with idea are this:

1: Not enough player depth, wasn't even enough to support the XFL.

2: Somebody has to suck.

Demote the Dolphins and the Raiders, then the next year it's the Falcons, then the year after that it could be the Cards. When it's all over, you have like 8 teams that don't suck "too bad" and you get tired of watching them play.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The two major issues with idea are this:

1: Not enough player depth, wasn't even enough to support the XFL.

2: Somebody has to suck.

Demote the Dolphins and the Raiders, then the next year it's the Falcons, then the year after that it could be the Cards. When it's all over, you have like 8 teams that don't suck "too bad" and you get tired of watching them play.
I'm with you on #1. #2 is a non issue though, because it's a two way street. If you suck, you get demoted. If you dominate, you get promoted. This obviously requires a sh*tton of teams spread over a whole bunch of leagues, so it wouldn't work for football, but overall I think it's a good concept.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm with you on #1. #2 is a non issue though, because it's a two way street. If you suck, you get demoted. If you dominate, you get promoted. This obviously requires a sh*tton of teams spread over a whole bunch of leagues, so it wouldn't work for football, but overall I think it's a good concept.
:stupid:

Agreed. I just know the NFL doesn't even have enough good QB's as it is. Unlike the sheer number of amazing soccer players all over the world, minus the scrubs we have here in the states.

And that is why I prefer college football to pros. A ton of teams with a ton of talent and a lot less reliance on the QB position.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
DMac will have a season like Adrian Peterson's. If Peterson played that well coming from a horrible conference like the Big 12, think about what DMac will be able to do coming from a real conference.

SEC ftw
DMac ftw
Easy there killer ... if I remember right, DMac was a complete non-factor against a Big 12 team in the Cotton Bowl.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DMac is NOT all that. Besides DNA's point above, he's also a wolf in sheep's clothing... as in, he's going to get in trouble off field and those headaches will transfer on field. I'm not saying he won't be good in the NFL, but he'll definitely be considered a bust if he goes top three.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Trade Offer RUMOR from ESPN Radio

Dallas offers two 1's and MBIII to Miami for Miami's #1 overall pick.

I'm guessing to get DMac?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Who would you like to see win their divisions next year?

AFC East: Bills
I don't see how NE can keep up the run with the aging defense and free agent problems. Jets and Dolphins suck.

AFC North: Browns... they look to be making a push. Cincy can't decide to be good. I don't like Pitt or Balt.

AFC South: Houston
... tho I suspect it'll be Jax. Indy has too many question marks.

AFC West: Denver... just cuz it'd be fun for me. But the other teams do have many issues.

NFC East: NY GIants
... I'm a little over the Mannings, I'd like a change of guard, but this is my least favorite division in the NFL.

NFC North: Minnesota
... I can't say I really care, but for QB play, they'd be in the playoffs this year.

NFC South: Atlanta
... I'd like to see this respectable, but troubled franchise get back into it.

NFC West: Arizona
... Do they have a black cloud over them? They should be better. Plus, I'm a homer for the SW USA.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Who would you like to see win their divisions next year?

AFC East: Bills
I don't see how NE can keep up the run with the aging defense and free agent problems. Jets and Dolphins suck.

AFC North: Browns... they look to be making a push. Cincy can't decide to be good. I don't like Pitt or Balt.

AFC South: Houston
... tho I suspect it'll be Jax. Indy has too many question marks.

AFC West: Denver... just cuz it'd be fun for me. But the other teams do have many issues.

NFC East: NY GIants
... I'm a little over the Mannings, I'd like a change of guard, but this is my least favorite division in the NFL.

NFC North: Minnesota
... I can't say I really care, but for QB play, they'd be in the playoffs this year.

NFC South: Atlanta
... I'd like to see this respectable, but troubled franchise get back into it.

NFC West: Arizona
... Do they have a black cloud over them? They should be better. Plus, I'm a homer for the SW USA.
Pretty good picks.

AFC East relies on the Pats having to give away some key free agents.

NFC East is anybody's conference.

NFC South could go either Saints or Bucs. Consistency is the key for both teams.

Everything else, pretty good projection.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like the Pats have a very easy schedule next year, they play the NFC and AFC West, the worst two divisions next to their own. Imagine the consecutive wins they could have strung together if they won the SB?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Looks like the Pats have a very easy schedule next year, they play the NFC and AFC West, the worst two divisions next to their own. Imagine the consecutive wins they could have strung together if they won the SB?
I dunno man, I'm thinking that this was the beginning of the end for the Pats... aging defense, key free agent issues (loses), a Pat being busted for drugs yesterday, a lost first round draft pick.

They'll probably win the division next year, but I see Buffalo winning it the following year.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I dunno man, I'm thinking that this was the beginning of the end for the Pats... aging defense, key free agent issues (loses), a Pat being busted for drugs yesterday, a lost first round draft pick.

They'll probably win the division next year, but I see Buffalo winning it the following year.
First round draft picks never seem to work out that well and cost a lot of money, it takes a few years for them to pay out too. The key to drafting well is doing it in the later rounds. Like when they got Brady.

I would expect like last year when they fixed their receiver problem they will fix their linebacker problem this offseason.

Who got busted yesterday?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Miami has informed perennial Pro Bowl linebacker Zach Thomas they will release him Thursday, FOXSports.com has learned.

Thomas, like the rest of the Dolphins, suffered through a miserable 2007 season. He suffered a concussion on the field and injuries in a car accident that limited his play.

After missing several games, the Dolphins finished Thomas' season for him when they placed him on injured reserve in December.
He has more tackles than any LB in the HoF.

BEFORE:
- Zach got a concussion and his play suffered for months horribly.
and
- Jim Bates (former Dolphin Def coach) proved that he was a one-trick pony with no skills

I WANTED Zach to come to the Broncos. That one key addition at middle LB in Bates' def.scheme would've made all the difference in the world.

Any team that has a younger LB core would benefit huge from bringing Zach in as a part-timer.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
First round draft picks never seem to work out that well and cost a lot of money, it takes a few years for them to pay out too. The key to drafting well is doing it in the later rounds. Like when they got Brady.
While that seems true, it's really not. The reason that teams like the Colts and Pats seem to perennially be contenders is that their high-payed early picks almost always seem to pan out. Also, I was reading a site a while ago that showed that a player drafted in the 1st round is likely to be more productive than one drafted in the 2nd, and a 2nd more successful than a 3rd, and so on. Basically that talent evaluators and scouts of all kinds have refined the science so well that these guys' career numbers now seem to relate pretty well to their draft status.
When I think about where the Colts and Pats are always drafting though...late 20's-ish at earliest, they dont tend to pick up these "boom or bust" type ultra athletes like Brian Bosworth or Reggie Bush who end up really not doing much, and the media really hiping on it. Instead they take guys like Logan Mankins, Vince Wilfork, Steve Smith, Dallas Clark, etc. Or the real catalyst, Peyton Manning. You dont see their drafts littered with failures like:
Kijana Carter
Cade McNown
Ryan Leaf
etc.
at least not in recent history.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sure looks like Houston is a genius taking Mario Williams.
Well who knows? He had what, 10-12 sacks? There are 5th rounders taken in the same draft who have more.... Im not ready to put the guy in canton. Their 2nd rounder, Demeco Ryans is an all around better player to me. I believe that Vince Young and Reggie Bush, ultimately, will end up as disappointments, but that Cutler will be seen by history as the pick of the draft.
I think he is a Carson Palmer/Drew Brees level QB this season.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
...a bad 3 day run for .Pitsteelers. Both his teams go down in flames in front of a world audience :rofl:

...anyway, this offseason, look for the bears to:

Sign RB Michael Turner from SD Chargers
Sign Guard Scott Lilja fron Indy
Re-sign QB Rex Grossman
Sign DT Tommie Harris to an extension
Sign KR/WR Devin Hester to an extension
Trade Brian Griese for a safety
CUT Muhsin Muhammad

Let free Agents WR Bernard Berrian and LB Lance Briggs walk.

Draft OT Ryan Clady from Boise St. in the 1st round
Draft Safety (insert name here) in the 2nd round

Bears cut Muhsin Muhammad on Monday, and made contract offers to Grossman, Berrian and Briggs.

Also, the NFL combine starts today on NFL network. Woohoo!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
NFL network has been great since the end of the season. Other than some stupid bloopers show all the old NFL Film bits rock.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
...maybe but I doubt it. I feel they will blow their wad on Faneca or something. But turner is the guy I want.
Briggs and Berrian will likely both hit the road. Hester starting WR?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have come to the realization that the Bears arent going to be very good this year. They did nothing of note in FA, besides pay Lance Briggs.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Well they signed Kerry Colbert.... that should be a huge help. Somebody must have been drinking, ALOT.
I think it was a great move. We do not NEED a Chad Johnson or Randy Moss -- which would've been cool! -- we need a smart money move. We need a third WR and Colbert will fill that role very well.

I haven't heard of any attitude/off-field issues. Were there any in NC? If he comes in to compete and causes no problems, he'll do VERY well as a thrid WR.

I wish stats would give "targets" (like rusing/passing attempts), cuz he's had 109 catches in three years. That sucks, but what if he's only been targetted 120 times? Not really his fault.

Great move.