Quantcast

NFL offseason 2008 discussion

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I have come to the realization that the Bears arent going to be very good this year. They did nothing of note in FA, besides pay Lance Briggs.
I heard Micael Turner went to ATL. Too bad Chi didn't get him. Looks like they have serious WR issues -- one left, one wants a lot of money.

Sorry Burly, they're a few years from a SB again. They should trade Urlacher.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Raiders' fans rejoice as another Bronco is busted for drug possession.

4th round pick last year was arrested for cocaine that was in the center console of the car in which he was a passenger.

Broncos have clearly lost their way... no chemistry, no TEAM... frustrating.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
LO, come on.
Mcfadden's "character issues" are totally overblown. Who, at 22 years old hasnt gotten into a barfight or something? People expect way too much of these kids, to have never gotten in trouble with the law a time or two. Especially the ones from the inner city and stuff.
He may turn out to be PacMan Jones part II, but somehow I really, really doubt that.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I think it was a great move. We do not NEED a Chad Johnson or Randy Moss -- which would've been cool! -- we need a smart money move. We need a third WR and Colbert will fill that role very well.

I haven't heard of any attitude/off-field issues. Were there any in NC? If he comes in to compete and causes no problems, he'll do VERY well as a thrid WR.

I wish stats would give "targets" (like rusing/passing attempts), cuz he's had 109 catches in three years. That sucks, but what if he's only been targetted 120 times? Not really his fault.

Great move.
Oh he got thrown to all the time, he's just not reliable. He hates getting hit. Not a good use of money on the Broncos part.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
LO, come on.
Mcfadden's "character issues" are totally overblown. Who, at 22 years old hasnt gotten into a barfight or something? People expect way too much of these kids, to have never gotten in trouble with the law a time or two. Especially the ones from the inner city and stuff.
He may turn out to be PacMan Jones part II, but somehow I really, really doubt that.
Exactly, he defended his little brother at a bar in Little Rock, who wouldn't? Just because he's the best athlete in the draft, people care. If you've ever talked to him, he's a really nice guy albeit a bit dumb.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
LO, come on.
Except that he admitted to having character issues and said he was working on them... then got into another bar fight four days after that interview a month ago.

I agree about expecting too much, but look at at the DT for the Broncos that just got arrested... he was suspended his senior year at UF for weed (no big deal, right?). He said it wouldn't happen again, then got busted yesterday.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Goodell proposes crackdown on cheating
NFL commissioner vows to ‘maintain public confidence’ in the sport
By Mark Maske / Washington Post
updated 4:26 a.m. ET, Fri., March. 7, 2008

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell wants the league to conduct unannounced inspections of locker rooms, stadium press boxes and in-game communications equipment, and to lower the standard of proof needed for him to impose penalties on a team or person for cheating, according to a memo obtained by The Washington Post.

The proposals were among a series of changes Goodell wants implemented before next season "to preserve the competitive integrity of the game" and "maintain public confidence" in the sport, according to the memo, which he sent to the league's competition committee yesterday. The memo represents Goodell's strongest response to the controversy stemming from the videotaping scandal involving the New England Patriots this past season and the league's handling of it.

"As the Commissioner and Competition Committee, we must take every appropriate step to safeguard the integrity of the NFL," Goodell wrote in the memo. "We have already taken some positive and significant actions this past season, but we must go further to ensure fair competition amongst our 32 teams and maintain public confidence in our game."
Goodell pledged to impose more severe penalties on teams and employees who violate rules governing competition. He also proposed a measure requiring team employees to report "actual or suspected" violations and another that would require each team's principal owner, top football executive and head coach to stipulate annually, under the threat of league discipline, that they complied with the rules and reported violations.

In addition, Goodell endorsed a proposal to connect one defensive player per team with a coach on the sideline via a wireless device during games, and urged the committee to conduct "a thorough review" of all competitive rules and policies.

"I think there are a number of steps that should be taken in advance of the start of the 2008 season to improve and strengthen the enforcement procedures designed to preserve the competitive integrity of the game," Goodell wrote.

The competition committee, which is the NFL's primary rule-making body, will convene for a week of meetings in Naples, Fla., beginning Wednesday. Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, said that Goodell's proposals will be considered at those meetings.

"All of these are things we are going to explore more fully," Anderson said by telephone from the league offices in New York.

Said New York Giants co-owner John Mara, a member of the competition committee: "We're all concerned about the integrity of the game. My interpretation is, the commissioner is asking us to look at different ways to enforce the rules to make sure everyone is on a level playing field and our fans can be confident in the integrity of our game. I don't think there's widespread cheating going on, but when you're in such a competitive industry, sometimes there are suspicions out there."

Goodell wrote in his memo that the competition committee should not feel bound by his proposals. Any recommendations by the committee could be presented to owners at the annual league meeting that begins March 30 in Palm Beach, Fla. A proposed rule change must be approved by at least three-fourths of the owners. But Goodell could enact some of the administrative proposals in his memo unilaterally, and several people familiar with the issue said they don't foresee him encountering much opposition to any measure he deems necessary.

Goodell received widespread praise for his crackdown last year on player misconduct. However, he has received criticism for his handling of the New England scandal. In September, Goodell fined the Patriots $250,000 and Coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and stripped the team of a first-round draft pick after it was caught videotaping the defensive play signals of the New York Jets' coaches, in violation of league rules, during the opening game of the season. Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) has been highly critical of the league's handling of the case and has threatened to reexamine the NFL's exemption from federal antitrust laws.

League officials said that after that incident, the NFL informed teams that they would be monitored more closely for violations of the rules governing fair play. Anderson said yesterday that included checks of the wireless communication equipment in stadiums used by teams during games. Goodell wrote in his memo that the previously undisclosed program will continue.

Goodell wrote: "This will include spot checks of club facilities, including team locker rooms; press boxes and coaches booths; coach-to-quarterback and other in-stadium communication systems . . . and enhanced monitoring of team practices. Many of these checks will be virtually unannounced and clubs would be expected fully to cooperate with this effort."

One person familiar with Goodell's proposals said the new threshold for imposing punishment for a rule violation would be closer to a preponderance of the evidence than beyond a reasonable doubt.

"Too often, competitive violations have gone unpunished because conclusive proof of the violation was lacking," Goodell wrote. "I believe we should reconsider the standard of proof to be applied in such cases, and make it easier for a competitive violation to be established. And where a violation is shown, I intend to impose more stringent penalties on both the club and the responsible individual(s). I will also be prepared to make greater use of draft choice forfeiture in appropriate cases. I believe this will have the effect of deterring violations and making people more willing to report violations on a timely basis."

The coach-to-defense communication proposal fell two votes shy of owner approval last spring. It would eliminate the need for coaches to use hand signals for defensive plays and it would put the defense on equal footing with the offense, because quarterbacks already use those devices.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Broncos fire GM Ted Sundquist. Apparently him and Shanny came to blows. How can you be the boss and subordinate at the same time? Broncos need to fire the Executive VP Mike Shannahan and let Shanny just coach.

Lions release RB Kevin Jones. He could be a top 10 RB if he heals up and gets a decent Offensive Line. He'd be a good fit in Chicago or Houston.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Agree on Jones in Chicago. I dont want to blow another early pick on an RB. He's a good player.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Carolina's making some smart moves. DJ should be really good opposite Steve Smith and since the contract is really small (comparatively) for two years, it's a no-lose situation.

Delhome is getting healthy and the offense looks (on paper) better than last year.

At that price, I'm disappointed that Denver didn't even consider him.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Carolina's making some smart moves. DJ should be really good opposite Steve Smith and since the contract is really small (comparatively) for two years, it's a no-lose situation.

Delhome is getting healthy and the offense looks (on paper) better than last year.

At that price, I'm disappointed that Denver didn't even consider him.
I just heard the contract was $3.5mil for 2 years, so that was a steal and a no brainer.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I just heard the contract was $3.5mil for 2 years, so that was a steal and a no brainer.
Yup. I'm shocked that no other team was interested enough to bid it up.

Or maybe DJ's doing a Randy Moss and wants to get with a better than average QB to put up some numbers, then bank it? Being opposite SSmith, he's gonna get plenty of 1-on-1.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
What do you want your team to do in the upcoming draft?

Of that offensive lineman, Long from Virginia, is as good as people say, I'd like the Broncos to trade up and get him. Miami is desperate to trade the pick, so maybe they'd discount it.

I'd also like the Broncos to spend ALL their picks on linemen, both sides of the ball.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm surprised Shanahan isn't done there.
I'm beyond shocked.

Pat Bowen needs to fire Shanny, the Executive Vice President. Pat needs to do the right thing and I hope soon cuz I really think that, with proper coaching, positive environment, good talent evaluations, etc., that...

Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall could compete for the best tandem in NFL history.

But not with how things are now.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Do they have any receivers to catch the ball?

Didn't their one constant go to receiver retire?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Do they have any receivers to catch the ball?

Didn't their one constant go to receiver retire?
Brandon Marshall is going to be a Hall of Famer -- assuming he cleans up his act.

They have several other WRs, TEs, and RBs that can catch and at least require some attention.

If Brandon can grow up, I honestly predict that he destroys every receiving record the Broncos have.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
OT, DE, RB, DT are the main needs.

First round the Panthers will most likely go with an offensive tackle. Either Ryan Clady, Boise State or Jeff Otah, Pitt. I think Otah is the better choice as he is bigger and more physical than Clady. If they miss on either of these there are a lot of options that will be available in the second round.

If Derrick Harvey (defensive end), Florida is available they could also take him. This might be their first choice as DE is kinda shallow.

And the last option is running back. Rashard Mendenhall would be the most likely first round option. I hope they don't go this direction as running back is way deep and good RBs will be available later.

EDIT: All that being said... lord knows what they'll do.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wow!

So, Bill Parcells, VP Dolphins, contacted the NFL and ask if he's allowed to delay picking. The league, said, "YES!". Wow. What that means is that he's allowed to drop down a pick and pass off to the next team below him. If he's targeting two players, he can keep dropping down until one of them is taken, then take the other.

Why would he do this?

Rookie salaries have gotten stupid and it's almost always based on an increase from last year at that draft position. So, why take a player at #1 and pay him #1 money if you can get him at at #8 and pay him #8 money.

Smart move Bill. Maybe the league will fix the rookie salary and draft issues next year?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Rumor is, Carolina's coaches and management are really fond of Mendenhall. They think he can be great.
My "inside" source says that they like Mendenhall a lot but are worried long term about being able to sign Jordan Gross (OT). They had to franchise him this year to hold on to him. So by drafting a stud OT it helps protect the Panthers against his potential loss next year. If he stays then they have a strong pair of tackles. If they don't then they don't have crap for tackles.

DE is sorta of the same thing with Peppers his crappy year and an upcoming contract for him as well. Though with Peppers they could franchise him next year and keep him if he has a great year that makes him worth keeping.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
NFL Schedule is out. How's it look for your favorite team?

I'm glad the Broncos got a week 8 bye... it sucks when it's like week 4 or 5. Unfortunately, I'm predicting a losing record by the bye, 3 wins, four losses with a decent close out to finish 9-7 just missing the playoffs due to the last week loss AT San Diego.

Does anyone see any teams with extended home or away consecutive games?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807c555e&template=with-video&confirm=true

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Code:
2008 Strength of Schedule
Rank Team 2007 Winning % of 2008 Opponents
1 Pittsburgh Steelers 0.598
2 Indianapolis Colts 0.594
3 Jacksonville Jaguars 0.559
4 Baltimore Ravens 0.551
5 Minnesota Vikings 0.551
6 Cincinnati Bengals 0.547
7 Cleveland Browns 0.547
8 Houston Texans 0.547
9 Detroit Lions 0.543
10 Tennessee Titans 0.543
11 Chicago Bears 0.532
12 Green Bay Packers 0.532
13 Dallas Cowboys 0.524
14 Washington Redskins 0.524
15 New York Giants 0.520
16 Philadelphia Eagles 0.520
17 St Louis Rams 0.489
18 San Francisco 49ers 0.485
19 Seattle Seahawks 0.477
20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 0.469
21 Arizona Cardinals 0.465
22 Carolina Panthers 0.465
23 Miami Dolphins 0.465
24 Atlanta Falcons 0.461
25 New York Jets 0.457
26 Kansas City Chiefs 0.453
27 New Orleans Saints 0.450
28 Buffalo Bills 0.449
29 Denver Broncos 0.446
30 Oakland Raiders 0.438
31 San Diego Chargers 0.422
32 New England Patriots 0.387
Pats, on paper, have the easiest schedule in the league... WTF?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
This is the worst home season ever but I kinda already knew that. Chicago, Denver, Detroit, KC and Arizona plus the division of NO, TB and ATL. Disappointed that the last home game is mid December. And one Monday night game against TB.

That being said its a nice and weak schedule.