Quantcast

NFL offseason 2008 discussion

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
(I know, a little early, but...)

So Javon Walker (Den-WR) says he wants out. Probably a pre-emptive 'strike' against the solid rumors that Denver will ask him to take a paycut. So, do you want him on your team?

On similar front of unhappy players... I'd love to have Chad Johnson come to Denver and 'replace' Walker.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Rod Smith is also done/retiring, isn't he?

I liked him and Plummer. Now I really don't like the Broncos.

Philadelphia needs a QB and a coach.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Rod Smith is also done/retiring, isn't he?

I liked him and Plummer. Now I really don't like the Broncos.

Philadelphia needs a QB and a coach.
Rod needs surgery, but his body is jacked up, so probably retiring. He should just become a coach with the Broncos. Kubiak went that route and now he's a HC!

Philly needs to make peace with McNabb cuz he's a good QB and who is good enough that's available.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
(I know, a little early, but...)

So Javon Walker (Den-WR) says he wants out. Probably a pre-emptive 'strike' against the solid rumors that Denver will ask him to take a paycut. So, do you want him on your team?

On similar front of unhappy players... I'd love to have Chad Johnson come to Denver and 'replace' Walker.
I've never liked the egotistical wide receiver types but Chad Johnson is f'in hilarious, a good player to boot.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
my two cents now , bengals would never let chad johnson go any where, so stop dreaming. mcnabb is out of philly to many teams need a qb he's got some value in the trade market.what is cleveland going to do with 2 good qb's ? i watched quinn's premiere in the nfl and he looked very impresive. the dawg pound wants him at qb not anderson who's done a good job. quinn came in at the end of the 2nd quarter the dawg pound went crazy should of had touchdown but 2 dropped passes in the end zone. then at the start of the 3rd anderson came back in the brown fans started booing him and every bad pass same thing.i think quinn is the future in cleveland.last alex smith [qb of the 49ers] is now a free agent , 49ers have stuck with him but he sucks in my opinon . he is another tim couch great college qb, drafted 1# but then sucks in the pros.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've never liked the egotistical wide receiver types but Chad Johnson is f'in hilarious, a good player to boot.
Agree. Most of 'em come across as being egotistical assholes. Chad does too, a bit, but he's funny about it, so it's OK with me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
2008 Draft Order
No. Team
1 Miami Dolphins
2 St. Louis Rams
3 Atlanta Falcons #
4 Oakland Raiders #
5 Kansas City Chiefs #
6 New York Jets
7 New England Patriots (from 49ers)
8 Baltimore Ravens
9 Cincinnati Bengals
10 New Orleans Saints
11 Buffalo Bills
12 Denver Broncos
13 Carolina Panthers
14 Chicago Bears
15 Detroit Lions
16 Arizona Cardinals
17 Minnesota Vikings
18 Houston Texans
19 Philadelphia Eagles
20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers *
21 Washington Redskins *
22 Dallas Cowboys (from Browns) *
23 Seattle Seahawks *
24 Pittsburgh Steelers *
25 Tennessee Titans *
26 New York Giants *
27 San Diego Chargers *
28 Jacksonville Jaguars *
29 Green Bay Packers *
30 Dallas Cowboys *
31 San Francisco 49ers (from Colts) *
32 New England Patriots *

* -- Subject to playoffs
# -- Subject to coin flip

New England will probably win the SB this year, package their first two picks to Miami and get McFadden. They're going to be even better next year?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Don't forget the Pats forfeit their first two round picks, right?

Still, the way they manage the cap and free agency is astounding.

Texans pick 18th, wow, maybe this would have been the draft coming up to pick a DE?? I'm not a Mario basher, but geez, they need an offense.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Don't forget the Pats forfeit their first two round picks, right?
Oh right, but they forfeit only one pick it's 'their' pick, as opposed to San Frans', so they still get the #7 overall :twitch:

Texans pick 18th, wow, maybe this would have been the draft coming up to pick a DE?? I'm not a Mario basher, but geez, they need an offense.
I dunno man, so far, Reggie Bush and none of the QBs have contributed to their teams like Mario has for Houston. They're going to be the next great defense.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
oh yeah, but the o line took some major hits this year and I wish we would quit getting tired veteran backs, but yeah, he beat out everyone in his draft class in my book. But hopefully we keep Schaub AND Rosenfelds. If Ron Dayne could stay healthy and Andre stay healthy..hmmmm.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yup then they get called trouble makers , disruptive , and get traded for a 4th round draft pick , and the next thing you know they are setting records!!!
:D Yeah, that did happen recently.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
In a statement, Bates said that he had the opportunity to remain with the Broncos but opted to stand down after just one season in Denver.

“I’m very thankful for the opportunity and very saddened that things did not work out,” he said.”

“I had the opportunity to stay. (Head Coach) Mike (Shanahan) has been very fair with me, and the final decision, for the Broncos and for me, was to step aside.”

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2008/0...return-in-2008/
I was a Bates fan from when he was with Miami, so I was excited to have him come to the Broncos.

Unfortunately, he proved that he's a one-trick pony that is incapable of adapting. It was obvious from pre-season that this defense was having trouble grasping his scheme and the fact that he ruined the season insisting on it really sucked.

There's no doubt that if he has the right personnel that he can work wonders, but a good coach needs to be able to adapt and play to the strengths of his players.

Good riddance.

In other words, if your team hires him and doesn't already have the two-gap defensive players necessary, well, there goes your season.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...a bad 3 day run for .Pitsteelers. Both his teams go down in flames in front of a world audience :rofl:

...anyway, this offseason, look for the bears to:

Sign RB Michael Turner from SD Chargers
Sign Guard Scott Lilja fron Indy
Re-sign QB Rex Grossman
Sign DT Tommie Harris to an extension
Sign KR/WR Devin Hester to an extension
Trade Brian Griese for a safety
CUT Muhsin Muhammad

Let free Agents WR Bernard Berrian and LB Lance Briggs walk.

Draft OT Ryan Clady from Boise St. in the 1st round
Draft Safety (insert name here) in the 2nd round

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Really, Rex is the best QB on the team. No joke. The team rallies behind him when he plays. You can see it on everyone's face when he comes in.
Griese sucks.
Kyle Orton is the definition of mediocre
Rex is a boom or bust player; when he's on, he's as good as they come. He needs a better line because he isnt mobile and a solid running game, cause his deep ball is the best out there.

Edit: And I should add...who else is going to come in and start? McNabb isnt leaving Philly, D. Anderson is a joke IMO, if you draft a guy, he needs a year to develop. No harm in going w/ a playoff proven QB in Rex.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
best one on that list is Billy Volek.
Bwaahahaa. Volek is a turd. Rex is ranked the best cause anyone who pays attention knows he is. I shudder to think what happens if Minnesota signs him and he gets to play behind that great line. He'd whip chicago's ass for the next 10 years.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Oh right, I forgot. As usual, I bow to your analysis.
It's not like I havent seen him play, Steve-o. He was in nashville for a number of years before heading to SD, where he actually hasnt done anything yet. Heard too many stories of his arrogance, attitude, womanizing, drunkenness, etc. to consider him even a good dude, let alone the fact that he hasnt shown much on the field IMO. He fared well on a couple of occasions subbing from McNair, but he loves to throw INTs.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
...a bad 3 day run for .Pitsteelers. Both his teams go down in flames in front of a world audience :rofl:

...anyway, this offseason, look for the bears to:

Sign RB Michael Turner from SD Chargers
Sign Guard Scott Lilja fron Indy
Re-sign QB Rex Grossman
Sign DT Tommie Harris to an extension
Sign KR/WR Devin Hester to an extension
Trade Brian Griese for a safety
CUT Muhsin Muhammad

Let free Agents WR Bernard Berrian and LB Lance Briggs walk.

Draft OT Ryan Clady from Boise St. in the 1st round
Draft Safety (insert name here) in the 2nd round
Why would they let Berrian walk?!?!!? If Hester was taller and got worked into the starting rotation for WR's (read: more offensive reps) I might see that....but just letting you're deep threat go to the wolves....?

1 vet guard and a rookie tackle fixes it all? Aight.....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Why would they let Berrian walk?!?!!? If Hester was taller and got worked into the starting rotation for WR's (read: more offensive reps) I might see that....but just letting you're deep threat go to the wolves....?

1 vet guard and a rookie tackle fixes it all? Aight.....
Actually, 2 new bodies on the line would make all the difference in the world, as we got a 2nd year guy named Josh Beekman, guard from ND ready to fill in, plus there are other draft picks i didnt account for. We have one "good" tackle in John Tait.
As for Berrian, he has come out and said "I want top 10 receiver money" and his agent is Drew Rosenhaus. Now, clearly, he is not a top 10 WR and he will get paid, probably by Washington or Oakland. Bears would be stupid to pay him that, with their other concerns. He is a 1 trick pony (Post route) who had the dropsies all year.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I wish the Broncos need list was as short as the Bears.

Denver's biggest problem is that by the time the kids get good enough to win the SB, the veterans will be too old to help out.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Perfect example of a talent not worth the stress.
Well, atleast he didn't try and curb stomp someone this time and break his toe. He really is a nice guy, LRs just a rough town sometimes, especially when you mess with his little bro.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Without a line to work behind, Turner's downhill style of running won't get him far. He's a "1 cut and go back" and without a hole to cut into, he's not going anywhere.
You explained why he wouldn't put up the numbers you might expect, but not why he wouldn't go there.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
...yeah like I said, the Bears have alot of cap room and Turner is also from the Chicago area. He went to north Illinois, and is the perfect compliment RB to a bruiser like C. Benson.
The line will get fixed, bet on that.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Looks like Bill Parcells is stripping the Dallas Cowboys of personnel for Miami Dolphins. He's taken something like four coaches and three front office peeps.

While the Dolphins don't have the players, it looks like management is solid for the next 10+ years.

Sorry Potroast! :D

Should Brett Farve retire? I don't understand the question... do they have an amazing backup QB that they'll lose to free agency? So many teams struggle with the position, so why kick a guy out when he's better than half the league's QBs?

On the Denver Bronco front... we keep losing coaches. Control has turned to chaos and the question on everyone's mind is which will fall off more over the next 12 months... the US Dollar or the number of wins the Broncos grab.

Stick a fork 'em.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
At least they'll always have Mexico.

Dallas Cowboys star Tony Romo has reportedly dumped Jessica Simpson, who was widely blamed for costing him a shot at the Super Bowl.

"Tony is now starting to blame her himself," a pal told OK! magazine. "Before dating Jessica, he was Texas' golden boy. Now he's become a joke."

A few days after the Giants bounced the Cowboys from the playoffs, Romo called the "Dukes of Hazzard" star to tell her their romance was over.

"He said he thought it was better if they went back to being friends," a pal of hers said.

A final breaking point came when Romo told Simpson he wouldn't move to L.A. - and she responded there was no way she could leave Tinseltown.

"It was the moment he realized it wasn't going to work with Jessica in the long term," the pal told OK!.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Hahahhaah... The Raders are officially the worst team in football...

Raiders coach refuses to heed owner's call to resign
ESPN.com

Updated: January 25, 2008, 4:09 PM ET
Comment

Raiders owner Al Davis sent a letter to Lane Kiffin recently asking for the coach to resign, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports.

Kiffin has refused to resign, he told Mortensen.

The Raiders finished 4-12 in Kiffin's first season as coach.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I wish American pro sports were like euro league soccer- if you suck too much, your team gets demoted to a lesser league. Dolphins? Gone. Raiders? See ya.