Quantcast

NFL playoff prediction thread

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
This is a great thread. I love the NFL and make no apologies about it. Being from Carolina and knowing how they play, I would be hard-pressed to pick them winning 3 straight playoff games on the road given the Jeckyll and Hyde personality of the team throughout the year........but they have accomplished a lot more with less before, so by that token it's hard to rule them out, either.

I worry about already placing the Colts in the Superbowl. Sure, there's the first round bye and the homefield advantage---lots of things going for them. Players and fans rallying around Dungy makes for that extra oomph, but it reminds me of how well Kansas City played two years ago in the regular season only to get decimated in the first playoff game. Clearly, they are a superior team this year, but I'm not sure they are going to be THE superior team once all is said and done.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
narlus said:
for the steelheads who didn't get it, my 'larger throat' comment towards COWER was in reference to his propensity for choking.
But don't overlook them...

The Colts bitch slapped them and there is no reason to believe that wouldn't occur again.

And if you want to talk about overlooked the Jaguars would be that team in the AFC. They beat the Steelers, beat the Seahawks, played the Colts much better than the Steelers managed to do.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
DRB said:
And if you want to talk about overlooked the Jaguars would be that team in the AFC. They beat the Steelers, beat the Seahawks, played the Colts much better than the Steelers managed to do.
That's a valid point, DRB. My boy, David Garrard(and I say that because he's a former ECU Q'back--my alma matter) has been tearing it up as Leftwich's replacement. That spark alone has done a tremndous amount towards getting them to where they are now and in the future. Good call. No need for a booth review there....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
DRB said:
But don't overlook them...

The Colts bitch slapped them and there is no reason to believe that wouldn't occur again.

The jaguars win over the steelers was hardley convincing. The only bad defeat the steelers suffered all season was to Indy, all the other losses were either close or because of terrible plays from a 3rd string qb.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
for the steelheads who didn't get it, my 'larger throat' comment towards COWER was in reference to his propensity for choking.
I wouldn't say the Steelers choke in the playoffs. They just usually get beat by better teams. To make it as far as they have year after year with crappy quarterback after crappy quarterback is impressive. Any team or coach that could take a team to the Superbowl led by Neil O'donnel is quite impressive if you ask me.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
You're still invited to our place for the Super Bowl.

I think we should have a Olympic Hockey Championship Game Party and maybe a Stanley Cup Finals Party.

I could give a rats ass about NFL playoff games.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
kizzi77 said:
Bears v. Broncos in Superbowl.
You must be drunk. While the Bears have the best coach in the NFL, they offense has yet to prove that it can score against a playoff defense. The Broncos otoh, definitely have a chance.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What was that talk about Pittsburgh choking and Jacksonville being overlooked? Can someone remind me? Huh? :blah:

Although I will admit I was a tad off on that Carolina game....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Seattle over Washington
Denver over New England
Indianapolis over Pittsburgh
Carolina over Chicago

Tho I'm rooting for Pitt so Denver could host the AFC game :)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I Are Baboon said:
That is the understatement of the year.
The Carolina game was the biggest complete azz stomping that I have seen since Mike Tyson fought Spinks.
The Panthers D shut Tiki down like he was an Asian Massage Parlor.
No happy ending for you.
And Eli looked as confused as Micheal Jackson's childhood.
And the Giants were supposed to have the NFL's 4th best offense?

Imagine what that D is gonna do the pidly Bears offense next week.
One and done, time to Hibernate.:nuts:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
LordOpie said:
Seattle over Washington
Denver over New England
Carolina over Chicago

It just might wind up playing out like that. i like your picks and could see Denver and Seattle in the Superbowl. That would be great....

i really think Denver can take Indy, but although i doubt it like you i really wouldn't be suprised to see a Pittsburgh upset over Indy.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
LordOpie said:
Seattle over Washington
Denver over New England
Carolina over Chicago

Basically how I see it shaking out.

Denver is going to stomp that pvssy Brady, indy will slaughter Pittsburge, Seattle will probbaaly have a tough time with the Skins, but will come out on top, and Carolina is going to blow out Chicago and their pathetic offense.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
PANTHERS ALL THE WAY, okay maybee they wont go all the way but they are deffinatly going to put a hurting on the bears. so i say panthers but thats because thats my team and hey its been done before.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
What was that talk about Pittsburgh choking and Jacksonville being overlooked? Can someone remind me? Huh? :blah:

i was 2 for 4 and my misfired predictions are qualified by the horrible non-TD call for Tampa, and Carson Palmer getting knocked out after his 2nd snap.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
robdamanii said:
He's an arrogant bastard.

And I firmly believe he'll crack under my Denver boys.
doesnt seem that arrogant to me. arrogant people dont seem like the type who would take a pay cut just so they could keep playing for the same team.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Jeremy R said:
Imagine what that D is gonna do the pidly Bears offense next week.
One and done, time to Hibernate.:nuts:
Uh... probably the same thing they did last time they played about a month ago. Get beat.

Bears AT HOME with the league's #1 D.

Washington will be playing in Chicago in two weeks. BOOK IT!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
gnurider1080 said:
ill be surprised if the bears make it to the super bowl.
I wouldn't be, and here's why. If the Bears have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, it can be very difficult for a visiting team. How many teams do you think want to visit a freezing Chicago stadium? A below-freezing windchill means a hell of a lot when there's a warm-weather visiting team.

That being said however, I think it will again be a close game. The Panthers, when not playing like idiots, are the best team in the NFC. If I were a betting man, I'd definitely put my money on the Panthers...BOOYAH!!!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
narlus said:
what gives you the impression he's arrogant? i'm baffled by that claim.
Perhaps his consistant aire on the field that he is god's gift to the game? His antics in the victory parade after winning his first superbowl?

The whole team seems to have an attitude that they are the greatest thing to happen to football since Lombardi.

Besides....NE sucks regardless of WHO'S at the helm.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
rob, you are full of faeces...the patriots are about the only recent example i can think of in pro sports where they put the TEAM well before themselves...

case in point - bruschi didn't play last night because of his calf injury. after the game some reporters wanted to interview him, but he declined, saying that they should interview guys who played and won the game.

in this day and age of plan b free agency and very liquid rosters, what new england has done is remarkable. smells like yr grapes are past their prime.

in the future if you continue to make specious claims, at least try to state some specifics rather than vague generalities.

i can't recall what brady did in the victory parade, but do try to keep in mind he was a kid in his early 20s who in his 1st season won something that a lot of great players never do.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
narlus said:
rob, you are full of faeces...the patriots are about the only recent example i can think of in pro sports where they put the TEAM well before themselves...

case in point - bruschi didn't play last night because of his calf injury. after the game some reporters wanted to interview him, but he declined, saying that they should interview guys who played and won the game.

in this day and age of plan b free agency and very liquid rosters, what new england has done is remarkable. smells like yr grapes are past their prime.

in the future if you continue to make specious claims, at least try to state some specifics rather than vague generalities.

i can't recall what brady did in the victory parade, but do try to keep in mind he was a kid in his early 20s who in his 1st season won something that a lot of great players never do.
MOST teams have a liquid roster so they can move talent in and out, and get new guys in to try and help. Case in point: Denver took 3 of Clevelands O-line and made one hell of a cohesive unit out of it. They sent Portis to Washington for Bailey. Bledsoe went to Dallas, and look at what he did.

Really, what was the last big move NE mader? Dillon. And he's turned out to be quite a bit less than was expected. They traded away Ty Law, who is one of the better corners in the NFL. Why? Cap issues. They can't AFFORD any free agent talent without letting someone go, and the way they've played this season, they need to get rid of a few people. Sure, it's nice that people will take a pay cut to stay, and that speaks volumes not about the organization, but about the players themselves and how they feel. Keeping the same old faces doesn't keep you winning; eventually they figure you out. You can't rely on Brady to do it all, even though he's not really screwed anything up badly at this point. He will though. Like Roethlisberger did last year, Brady will screw it up at the wrong time and blow their chance.

And also, when you think about it, the pats play the "sweetheart" in the NFL with things like Bruschi's stroke and their QB drama a few years back. Bellicheck has never come across as anything but an arrogant coach in his interviews, and Brady has a disgusting swagger on the field that he should not have for a QB of his caliber. He's no Brett Favre, John Elway, Dan Marino or Troy Aikman, no matter how much he thinks he is. Yeah, he's got 3 rings. Two of them really belong to Vinetari (without him, they'd never have either one of them).

To me, NE is no better than the Yankees, although, granted, they can't afford to buy the best in the game. I'll still chuckle when they get swatted down by Denver next weekend and sent home where they belong.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
BurlyShirley said:
Washington will be playing in Chicago in two weeks. BOOK IT!
You book that, and it will be awful cold sitting at Soldier Field by yourself.
Washington could not score on Paris Hilton with a bottle full of roofies.
I would love to see that upset though, as we would have tickets to the Carolina/Washington game at home.:thumb:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
robdamanii said:
He's an arrogant bastard.

And I firmly believe he'll crack under my Denver boys.
Have you met Tom Brady? I actually did at the hotel we were staying during the Raiders/Tampa Super Bowl a few years back. He's actually good friends with one of my brothers best friends and he walked up to us just to say hi. He really is a very nice person, friendly and down to earth. Anyways why should he be arrogant? Then again he's been in this league for about 5 years and has 3 Super Bowl rings, that's not to shabby.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
i was 2 for 4 and my misfired predictions are qualified by the horrible non-TD call for Tampa, and Carson Palmer getting knocked out after his 2nd snap.
You can't blame the Palmer injury for Cincy's defense sucking the last nine games. It was an unfortunate injury though. Hopefully he'll be ready in time for next season.

I think robdamanii is off his rocker about Tom Brady. Rob, just say you don't LIKE Brady and leave it at that. Calling him cocky and arrogant is just rediculous.

My picks for next week:

Seattle over Washington
New England over Denver
Chicago over Carolina

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Jeremy R said:
I would love to see that upset though, as we would have tickets to the Carolina/Washington game at home.:thumb:
The NFC Championship game at home would be as good as it gets.

BS: As for Chicago, if Tiki can't run on the Panthers how exactly do you figure the Bears can and regardless neither of the Bear QBs are going to be throwing very much.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
robdamanii said:
He's no Brett Favre, John Elway, Dan Marino or Troy Aikman, no matter how much he thinks he is. Yeah, he's got 3 rings. Two of them really belong to Vinetari (without him, they'd never have either one of them).
Uh, you know Vinetari got a ring too, right? And do you think Vinetari won every game that season for them? :rolleyes: A couple great kicks in some key moments does not make a season.

Vinetari is a clutch player, and one of the best kickers in he league - no doubt about that, and he deserves a ton of respect. But the ring doesn't belong just to him, any more than it belongs just to Brady.

To me, NE is no better than the Yankees, although, granted, they can't afford to buy the best in the game. I'll still chuckle when they get swatted down by Denver next weekend and sent home where they belong.
You have a bizarre perception of things. For all of Brady's supposed "disgusting swaggar on the field", he sure is careful to sing the praises of everyone on the field in interviews, even the opposing team's players. The Yankees are generally a bunch of arrogent pricks who are all very talented in their own right, but are only interested in self-aggrandizement. The Pats have their own individual talents as well, but are far more interested in what they can do with their collective team talent.

I don't care one way or the other whose team you vouch for, and if you cheer if the Pats lose, hey, good for you. But I think your perception is clouded by what you'd like to see, rather than what is.

splat

Nam I am
robdamanii said:
He's no Brett Favre, John Elway, Dan Marino or Troy Aikman, no matter how much he thinks he is. Yeah, he's got 3 rings. Two of them really belong to Vinetari (without him, they'd never have either one of them).
Lets see Favre ( who I have always Felt was over rated ) only has 1 ring
Mario -ZERO
Aikman is the only one who also has 3 ( one could argue look at al the talnet around him , but I'm not going to )
and Elway only has 2.

just an interesrting comparision