Quantcast

NFL Starts: Like 5 more weeks

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
ukjason said:
if you all give me your suggestions and i'll try and find some info on the teams and report back tommorow with my decission.
In the AFC...
It's hard to route against Brady and the New England Patriots. There is very little ego on that team, and they are all a bunch of scrappers.

Over the last few years, the Indianapolis Colts have had a very explosive offense - lots of fun to watch, but they seem to stumble in the playoffs.

The San Diego Chargers have argueably the best running back and tight end in football. Who knows what's going to come of their quarterback though.

Now to the NFC...
The Carolina Panthers seem to be the popular pick. No real superstars, but they always seem to find a way to win.

The Dallas Cowboys have a lot of potential this year, but people either love them or hate them. And they are in a pretty competitive division, so there's no telling how they will do.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
reflux said:
Both teams are at the mercy of their quarterbacks. Bledsoe will throw too many int's, and Brunell may very well not last the entire season. No matter what happens between Washington and Dallas, the division title is going to either Chicago or Carolina.
The journey of a thousand mile begin with the first step...winning the NFC East. I'll worry about da Bears or Panthers when time proves it necessary.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
llkoolkeg said:
They sure will and T.O. will be the one serving up the tip! :agree:

Regardless of what those punks on ESPN say, the Cowboys are going to punish the lame 4skins and give the Giants a fight for the division in the black-n-blue NFC East. Parcells tends to hit his stride after his 3rd year anyways and certainly knows his way around the Meadowlands.
First of all the only games that the Eagles will win is the games against the Cowgirls because they're going to going after T.O.

Second T.O. isn't going to make that team do any better then they have in the last couple of years

Btw sitting 28 rows from the field on the 35 yard line to watch the skins whip the Cowgirls was priceless:D

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
goofy said:
First of all the only games that the Eagles will win is the games against the Cowgirls because they're going to going after T.O.

Second T.O. isn't going to make that team do any better then they have in the last couple of years

Btw sitting 28 rows from the field on the 35 yard line to watch the skins whip the Cowgirls was priceless:D
1) Riiiiiiight. You keep tellin' yourself that.
2) T.O. for Keyshawn won't improve things? Riiiiiiiight.
3) After a decade of rain, the sun shines on even a lame dog's a-hole once in a while. You better get yourself a good poncho, though, 'cause another 10 years of monsoon's comin' your way!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
llkoolkeg said:
2) T.O. for Keyshawn won't improve things? Riiiiiiiight.
:stupid:
McNabb has never been known as a very good passer. He was good enough to get by, and was decidedly better out of the pocket. The year before TO arrived, it took McNabb something like 7 or 8 weeks to throw his first TD to a receiver. The year TO arrived, McNabb suddenly became a very good passer. 1) TO really is that good and 2) It will be interesting to see how McNabb returns from an off year. Hopefully he will do okay, because I really enjoy watching him play.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
No one thinks the Cards for anything??? They have had one of the better off-seasons picking up different players. They now have a decent QB, a good RB (james), some decent recievers and their defense wasn't all that bad either. I dunno how "great" they are destined to be but alot of their off-season trades/signs caught my eye.

The Colts........they choke every single playoff. They are fun to watch because they score, and at times their defense is just a wall......but what good is it if you can't make it to the super bowl? They have one of the better defenses except now they have who as a running back???? It's a given in the NFL you need the run....

There's lots of teams who are fun to watch, and hopefully get their crap together to make it past the first round of the play offs. This season should be nice to watch because alot of teams went out and got the big name players they needed for offense and defense. Not many teams kept their stars it seems (Brees/Arrington/James/Mcnair/Law etc...) all kinds of them moved around. Should make it that much more interesting.

ONE thing is for sure, the 49'ers, Raiders, Texans, and Lions will all suck. They need like a 10 year window of good drafts and player trades before they might be worthy again.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
reflux said:
:stupid:
McNabb has never been known as a very good passer. He was good enough to get by, and was decidedly better out of the pocket. The year before TO arrived, it took McNabb something like 7 or 8 weeks to throw his first TD to a receiver. The year TO arrived, McNabb suddenly became a very good passer. 1) TO really is that good and 2) It will be interesting to see how McNabb returns from an off year. Hopefully he will do okay, because I really enjoy watching him play.
Too true. T.O might have a mouth and his attitude that comes with him, but as far as a WR goes he is that good. He made Jeff Garcia decent in SF and made Mcnabb look like a top rated QB......but last year he sure did suck without T.O (not only due to injury) but passing wise as well.

A good WR is a gem for QB's. There's a few tight ends out in the NFL that would be as valuable to QB's as WR's (Gates and Gonzalez) come to mind. If those guys left the KC and SD the poor QB wouldn't have much. No matter what, T.O is probably one of the best WR's in football right now........when he plays. Chad Johnson and Steve Smith aren't bad either but those teams would be up a creek without them as well.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Spunger said:
No one thinks the Cards for anything??? They have had one of the better off-seasons picking up different players. They now have a decent QB, a good RB (james), some decent recievers and their defense wasn't all that bad either. I dunno how "great" they are destined to be but alot of their off-season trades/signs caught my eye.
The thing is, and it has been proven many times (see Oakland Raiders, Redskins, Vikings EVERY year) that you CAN NOT build a team through Free Agency. The core of a team has to be taken through the draft for real success. This is exactly why DALLAS and BALTIMORE are my two picks for BUST seasons.
Everyone hypes up free-agent signings, but in reality, the biggest impact makers will be players DRAFTED in 2005, ala Cedric Benson, Cadillac Williams, Alex Smith...
Minnesota and Washington sign a ton of big names every year, and they always manage to be pretty average. The same will happen w/ Dallas and Baltimore. Book it.

UKJason, www.chicagobears.com . All DEFENSE, ALL THE TIME.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Jeremy R said:
Please ask the Chicago cornerbacks if Steve Smith is a superstar. :wave:
The backups? Yeah, Chris Thompson, Chris Harris and Rashied Davis know all too well. That is, Since Mike Brown, Charles Tillman, Jerry Azumah and Brandon McGowan were all out with injury ;)

When Carolina played Chicago healthy in the Regular season, Chicago dominated. Im loving this newly-forming rivalry.:agree:

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
BurlyShirley said:
The thing is, and it has been proven many times (see Oakland Raiders, Redskins, Vikings EVERY year) that you CAN NOT build a team through Free Agency. The core of a team has to be taken through the draft for real success. This is exactly why DALLAS and BALTIMORE are my two picks for BUST seasons.
Everyone hypes up free-agent signings, but in reality, the biggest impact makers will be players DRAFTED in 2005, ala Cedric Benson, Cadillac Williams, Alex Smith...
Minnesota and Washington sign a ton of big names every year, and they always manage to be pretty average. The same will happen w/ Dallas and Baltimore. Book it.

UKJason, www.chicagobears.com . All DEFENSE, ALL THE TIME.
Cadillac Willams is a rare one. He is just good. I don't think he needs that few year window before he really opens up.

But it's true, Free Agency won't win a superbowl but atleast it makes some different teams fun to watch. Alot of the star draft guys won't see playing time due to being backups for the vetrans. Plus everyone wants to see the current drafted QB's in the lineup, not backup.

Dallas will be fun to watch, only because of T.O but other than him they won't go that far. Bledsoe has the arm though to get it there so who knows. The Redskins I never paid any attention to so I have nothing to say about them.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
BurlyShirley said:
The backups? Yeah, Chris Thompson, Chris Harris and Rashied Davis know all too well. That is, Since Mike Brown, Charles Tillman, Jerry Azumah and Brandon McGowan were all out with injury ;)

When Carolina played Chicago healthy in the Regular season, Chicago dominated. Im loving this newly-forming rivalry.:agree:
Regular season. Oh, I thought we were talking about football that matters.
Since we are not, I pick the 49ers to dominate the Preseason games.:trophy_br ;)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Burly, I need remind you of only three dates to quiet you down:

December 26, 1977...
NFC Divisional Playoffs- DALLAS COWBOYS 37, Chicago Bears 7

December 29, 1991...
NFC Wild Card- DALLAS COWBOYS 17, Chicago Bears 13

Nov. 25, 2004...
Thanksgiving- DALLAS COWBOYS 21, Chicago Bears 7

Any questions?

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Here is the plan for this season...

Steelers Shall RETURN To The Super Bowl....In the unlikley event that they dont Green Bay will...They got AJ Hawk if some how they dont get there it's going to be the........

1. Bears-Urlacher all around good D
2. Chargers-LT
3. Red Skins-The got Antwaan Randle-El :(

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
stevew said:
the eagles will suck.
The Eagles really should trade for Ashley Lelie. Is he truly a #1 WR? No. But look at the Eagles roster... they need help, he needs an ego boost, and the Broncos need to get rid of the idiot.

I Are Baboon said:
:dancing:

Good thing I am huge fan of the entire NFL since my team (The Rams) SUCK.
Steven Jackson is going to be huge this year. St. Louis will compete for a Wild Card spot.

binary visions said:
We were planning on scaling back our cable subscription to the bare bones 20 channels, but MNF has gone to ESPN this year :mumble:
I'm tempted to get satellite just for the NFL coverage.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ktmsx said:
I like football but I can not bring myself to spend that much time in front of a TV if it is at all nice outside.!!..they should replay games in the week at like 10:00 or so....
IAB posted in another thread about the NFL network replaying games in chopped up mode. Like top four games of the weekend on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, 90minutes for each game.

reflux said:
Bears = still need consistent QB in order to not almost-lose-games, and a receiver, ANY RECEIVER, opposite of Moose.

Panthers = Need Foster to stay somewhat healthy (big, BIG ?).

Chargers = Gawd I hope Rivers doesn't f**k it up.
Bears will run the ball more, so they're cool.

Panthers will throw it more, yes, more... new greatest show on turf

Rivers is going to be solid.

Jeremy R said:
How about the Patriots?
man, fvcking post of the day. Subtle humor at its righteous best! :devil:

llkoolkeg said:
They sure will and T.O. will be the one serving up the tip! :agree:

Regardless of what those punks on ESPN say, the Cowboys are going to punish the lame 4skins and give the Giants a fight for the division in the black-n-blue NFC East. Parcells tends to hit his stride after his 3rd year anyways and certainly knows his way around the Meadowlands.
Dallas is going to be even better this year. Bledsoe will rock the house. But Eli Manning's going to have a great year as well as Tiki.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
GO RAIDERS!!!!!

Damn I hope they don't embarrass themselves again this year.

On another note, we just moved our Raiders season tickets seats from the end zone to the 10 yard line:thumb:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Brian HCM#1 said:
GO RAIDERS!!!!!

On another note, we just moved our Raiders season tickets seats from the end zone to the 10 yard line:thumb:
I like Art Shell. Smartest move Al has made in years.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Brian HCM#1 said:
GO RAIDERS!!!!!

Brooks can put up the long ball and since the Def ain't that good, they'll be airing it out to two great WRs. Good fantasy play.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
If Barry Sanders were to come out of retirement, football might be worth watching again.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I Are Baboon said:
:dancing:

Good thing I am huge fan of the entire NFL since my team (The Rams) SUCK.
How'd you end up a fan of the male sheep? Aren't you in the NE?

I root for the Rams by default. I grew up in St. Louis as a Cardinals fan, but had to let that one go when Bidwell moved the team.

This year is a total enigma. New coach, Bulger can be inconsistent, Jackson has yet to show that he can be a dominant back, Bruce and Holt are another year older (with no signs of replacements). The D should be better, but how can it not?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
LordOpie said:
Brooks can put up the long ball and since the Def ain't that good, they'll be airing it out to two great WRs. Good fantasy play.
Brooks is not the answer, he's a mediocre QB at best. The Raiders should be focusing on grooming Andrew Walter.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Brian HCM#1 said:
Brooks is not the answer, he's a mediocre QB at best. The Raiders should be focusing on grooming Andrew Walter.
The raiders SHOULD have drafted a REAL qb this year...

Or maybe they're planning on Losing out the whole season so they can get Quinn from ND.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlyShirley said:
Anyone else getting really excited?
Not really, but i'm pretty satisfied with the moves the Hawks made. Yet another year of getting overlooked i'm sure.

i'll be stoked to see some good games and blathering about it on the boards.:agree: