Quantcast

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
His head was not down, he made a pass at the blue line and was watching to see when he could enter the zone and not be offside.

The hit was super dirty, leading with the elbow and jumping into the hit.

Who here that is bitching that he should keep his head up has played a day of competitive hockey or professional hockey a day in their life??? That's what I thought.
The hit was absolutely dirty, but if I give one thing to Rome (which is very hard for me to do), it was that he kept his elbow tucked in. Had he drove his shoulder into Horton's body he would have laid a great hit, albeit late and still likely an interference penalty.

Tangent:

I'm a huge proponent of dumbing down players equipment including shoulder pads. The human body is amazing thing and I believe that by removing some of this non-essential football padding that players wear nowadays, will involuntarily smarten them up since (sub)consciously they will know that they can't play with the same reckless abandonment.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I'm a huge proponent of dumbing down players equipment including shoulder pads. The human body is amazing thing and I believe that by removing some of this non-essential football padding that players wear nowadays, will involuntarily smarten them up since (sub)consciously they will know that they can't play with the same reckless abandonment.
You are correct Sir! One need only watch some vintage games to see the difference in play since equipment technology has expanded like it has. Sure, play was slower, as were players, but sticks stayed down, elbows came up only when needed and players played with respect for each other and teh game. A pvssy like Burrows would have lasted three shifts tops against some of the old guard. Gordie Howe would have killed him. I play only beer league and shinny these days (And teh occasional tourney...), and see a huge difference in play when playing against younger kids (Who have worn bullet proof gear tehir whole lives) vs playing against other "old timers."

Romes hit was late and cheap. No matter how much Sucks fans whine and cry about it, it should tell you something when thise who know and have lived and played at the highest levels deem a suspension relevant and needed during a Cup final.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
...then make the players wear something more than the flimsy helmets they wear today.
Outstanding first (And I am guessing last...) post. He wasnt wearing a Jofa Gretzky style helmet...Horton wears an Easton Stealth, one of the most popular helmets in the league. GMs arent going to let their million dollar investments wear peanut shells any more...

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
This is where the NHL needs to start. Instead of making crazy rules and 20 game suspensions try switching the equipment. No need for cinder block elbow pads and medieval shoulder pads. Oh that is right we will worry about trapezoids and what not.

I love how every team points the finger when there is a bad hit or dirty play. Every team has one of those players and they all do it.

I got to say the the tags that were added recently are pure gold. This has got to be the best set of tags.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
You are correct Sir! One need only watch some vintage games to see the difference in play since equipment technology has expanded like it has. Sure, play was slower, as were players, but sticks stayed down, elbows came up only when needed and players played with respect for each other and teh game. A pvssy like Burrows would have lasted three shifts tops against some of the old guard. Gordie Howe would have killed him. I play only beer league and shinny these days (And teh occasional tourney...), and see a huge difference in play when playing against younger kids (Who have worn bullet proof gear tehir whole lives) vs playing against other "old timers."

Romes hit was late and cheap. No matter how much Sucks fans whine and cry about it, it should tell you something when thise who know and have lived and played at the highest levels deem a suspension relevant and needed during a Cup final.
From my engineering background, it seems so simple....F=ma. The massive plastic cladding that players adorn themselves with now not only allow them tho play more aggressively (shouldn't it be designed for protection?), but in the course of a collision, declarations and impacts are happening over a shorter period of time which is increasing the forces of certain hits. Look at NFL helmets. They're probably the single dumbest piece of sporting equipment ever invented and moreso a weapon than "protective gear".

I too am merely a beer league warrior now, and most everyone plays without shoulder pads because it keeps yourself and others in check (for the most part :D). I'd love to see the league look at the effect of equipment from a more "scientific" point of view, but believe that the combined effect of the equipment industry not wanting to "regress" and the stigma of parents purchasing what's perceived as less protective equipment for youth hockey players will prevent that from ever happening. It's far more likely that the NHL's response is step 1) requiring all players to wear half shields and eventually step 2) requiring all players to wear full shields.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
From my engineering background, it seems so simple....F=ma. The massive plastic cladding that players adorn themselves with now not only allow them tho play more aggressively (shouldn't it be designed for protection?), but in the course of a collision, declarations and impacts are happening over a shorter period of time which is increasing the forces of certain hits. Look at NFL helmets. They're probably the single dumbest piece of sporting equipment ever invented and moreso a weapon than "protective gear".

I too am merely a beer league warrior now, and most everyone plays without shoulder pads because it keeps yourself and others in check (for the most part :D). I'd love to see the league look at the effect of equipment from a more "scientific" point of view, but believe that the combined effect of the equipment industry not wanting to "regress" and the stigma of parents purchasing what's perceived as less protective equipment for youth hockey players will prevent that from ever happening. It's far more likely that the NHL's response is step 1) requiring all players to wear half shields and eventually step 2) requiring all players to wear full shields.

I don't wear shoulder pads anymore either. 50 percent because it is no-checking, and 50 percent because they are the same pair that I wore when I was in high school and all the elastic in the straps is shot! :rofl:

I tried for a couple of sessions to wear a full cage - but ditched it last Monday night in favor of a half-shield (that's pre-visor lingo there baby!) and it made a world of difference! I could see the puck again! :thumb:

I wonder how many pros still wear a lot of their tried and true gear like shoulder pads/elbow pads and how many opt for the newest and lightest and whatnot? I bet there are still a fair percentage of veterans who wear stuff that they've worn for years and years and years.

Add on to Inclag's post - in fact there is a movement at the NCAA level to do away with full face masks in favor of visors with the idea that it would reduce stick infractions and head contact. As a guy who played DIII college with a full face shield (an Itech) - I'd vote in favor of this rule change. the worst hits I took while at Fredonia were hits to the head/face/jaw area and I attribute that to the fact that we were all wearing face masks.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Oh and who gets the nod in place of Horton on that Krejci line tonight?

Ryder? Peverly? Seguin?
Rydes or Peverly.

Seguin will be relegated to 3rd line duty, and likely spotted depending on how he's playing in the game. Early reports are that Peverly will be slotted into first line duty, but Claude I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them getting time with Krejci and Lucic.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I don't wear shoulder pads anymore either. 50 percent because it is no-checking, and 50 percent because they are the same pair that I wore when I was in high school and all the elastic in the straps is shot! :rofl:

I tried for a couple of sessions to wear a full cage - but ditched it last Monday night in favor of a half-shield (that's pre-visor lingo there baby!) and it made a world of difference! I could see the puck again! :thumb:

I wonder how many pros still wear a lot of their tried and true gear like shoulder pads/elbow pads and how many opt for the newest and lightest and whatnot? I bet there are still a fair percentage of veterans who wear stuff that they've worn for years and years and years.

Add on to Inclag's post - in fact there is a movement at the NCAA level to do away with full face masks in favor of visors with the idea that it would reduce stick infractions and head contact. As a guy who played DIII college with a full face shield (an Itech) - I'd vote in favor of this rule change. the worst hits I took while at Fredonia were hits to the head/face/jaw area and I attribute that to the fact that we were all wearing face masks.
I went the opposite direction as you. Started with no shield, then got a few sticks to the face and moved to a half shield. $8K and 2 implants later, I've gone full circle and am back to a full cage. Worst part about it was that I ebayed my college Jofa Bubble cage when I started playing mens league.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I went the opposite direction as you. Started with no shield, then got a few sticks to the face and moved to a half shield. $8K and 2 implants later, I've gone full circle and am back to a full cage. Worst part about it was that I ebayed my college Jofa Bubble cage when I started playing mens league.
PM me if you want a Jofa cage - I've got two - maybe not the exact style you used, but light and thin-barred. :thumb:

laxstar118

Chimp
Oct 26, 2010
San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Outstanding first (And I am guessing last...) post. He wasnt wearing a Jofa Gretzky style helmet...Horton wears an Easton Stealth, one of the most popular helmets in the league. GMs arent going to let their million dollar investments wear peanut shells any more...
Regardless of who makes it it is still a polycarb shell with a foam core. Maybe look at what football helmets are doing, less foam more air giving more room for the head to slow down. GMs dont give a rats tail what their players are wearing or everyone would be wearing the same thing.

yeah because when you make a pass around center ice, you should always expect to be stood up at the blue line...
If you have ever played hockey or any other contact sport for that matter you should expect everyone to hit you. Or your just trying to get hurt. Ever heard the words "head on a swivel"? Horton obviously hadnt.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
I should give you a pass since you're probably just responding as a fan as opposed to someone that's played the game at a high level.

I'm sharks fan actually. And I've also played my share of competitive hockey.
Some food for thought:

He hit's him less than 1 second after the pass, before he finishes taking his 2nd step.
Head on a swivel. I'm sure you've been told that a couple times since you think it's ok to glide through the blue line watching your beautiful pass instead looking up like you should.

laxstar118

Chimp
Oct 26, 2010
San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
quoted for truth.

laxstar and illnotsick, i'm sure Horton magically made Rome levitate after the hit too.
Actually your right. Because Horton was accelerating down that means Rome had to apply a force to Horton in the downward direction. Then because of Newtons Second Law Horton applied an equal and opposite force to Rome. Thus and considering the force applied to Horton was enough to knock him into next year, it probably was enough to get Rome a few inches off the ice.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
Actually your right. Because Horton was accelerating down that means Rome had to apply a force to Horton in the downward direction. Then because of Newtons Second Law Horton applied an equal and opposite force to Rome. Thus and considering the force applied to Horton was enough to knock him into next year, it probably was enough to get Rome a few inches off the ice.
Get that f*cking stick in his side, let em know your there.

Vancouver with the win tonight. Going with a 4-2 guess.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
be sure to use Euler's or Maxwell's equations next, brainiac.

are there 117 better lacrosse players in yr neck of the woods?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Again I will point out the obvious. EXPERTS employed by the NHL, whos business and lives are hockey, have agreed that Horton was cheap shotted by Rome. But laxnostar, who has played his "share of competitive hockey" (Which menas what? HS gym class floor hockey? Road hockey with the neighbors kids?) knows better.

And yeah, GMs dont care if Syndey Crysby wears a peanut shell. What was I thinking?

I have a similiar background to some of the others, fwiw. House league to Comp travel to HS to Jr Bs (After a short shot at a small college...) to military teams and beer leagues...coached a bit and even reffed some. So I may know a bit about the game too...

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
But laxnostar, who has played his "share of competitive hockey" (Which menas what? HS gym class floor hockey? Road hockey with the neighbors kids?) knows better.

I bet laxstar was a school yard puck superstar.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
is anyone else periodically baffled by the officiating? how does Marchand get a holding, tripping and roughing call all at the same time? and the announcers give zero details half the time about what the penalties were.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
is anyone else periodically baffled by the officiating? how does Marchand get a holding, tripping and roughing call all at the same time? and the announcers give zero details half the time about what the penalties were.
You're not the only one. I don't think the announcers know whats going on either.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Peverly stepped in quite nicely on that Krejci line last night.

Unsung hero so far for the Bruins - Dennis Seidenberg. He's been really really good on the Blue Line IMHO.