Quantcast

NHL fans - bigger goal?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Apparently the NHL powers that be are considering making the goal bigger (by about 20%) to try to increase scoring. I understand most of the recent rule changes in an attempt to get back to "skilled hockey", but enlarging the goal will change the game. Why don't they just add a 2-point line... :shakes head:

God I hope it doesn't happen.

Article here

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Dumb idea. The game is fine as it is. If anything, USA hockey should have smaller goals for younger kids like they do for soccer, not bigger goals for the pros.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They should just require the goalies to be midgets. That would kick ass.

Couldn't they just eas up on offensive offsides to increase scoring?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
That's a terrible idea, and I think it'd actually hurt the legacy of future stars. Anytime someone scores 60-70 goals, the whole "Yeah but their goals are so much bigger now" stigma will be attached to them.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
This is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. While they're at it why don't they use a smaller puck. :rolleyes:

Last night, a typical night, there were 58 goals scored in 10 games...6 goals a game isn't enough? It's not f*ing basketball.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Anyone watch the Devils/Rangers game? finished 1-0 with the only goal coming about half way through the first, but DAYUM that was an exciting game. Don't tell me there were no scoring chances. I know the NHL is concerned about popularity (ok, revenue, but revenue is based on popularity, so...), but it's a different game now, and there are different ways to promote/sell it. Just because there are big blasts coming from the blue line all the time doesn't mean there aren't any scoring opportunities.

I could see limiting the size of the pads goalies use or somethign like that... but the bottom line is that goalies are better (more athletic mostly) than they used to be and defenses are schemed better now. Plus, it's all cyclical... right now the NHL is in a "a good defense will beat a good offense" mode. I suspect in about 4 years when the Pens youngsters are dominating the league that will start to change.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Why not make the goalie wear smaller pads instead of making the goal bigger? If you look at the size of the catching glove of the late 70's as opposed to today, you will see an increase in size. I'm willing to wager that the leg pads have increased in width, also.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
First, they should improve their image. I haven't watched a game since the strike and those c0cksucking players saying they want more money and don't care about the fans.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
IIRC, goalie pad size is already regulated.

Otherwise, I agree this is a stupid idea. I like hockey... used to watch it a lot with my father as a kid...

The NHL is simply going to have to suck it up and realize it will take awhile to build up the fan base again after the strike.
:nopity:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think letting a hungry siberian tiger loose on the ice in the third period would increase ratings and raise excitement.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
First, they should improve their image. I haven't watched a game since the strike and those c0cksucking players saying they want more money and don't care about the fans.

From what little experience I have it seems that NHL players are more approachable and nicer to fans than the other major sports.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
First, keep the goal as it is. Next, others have commented and I tend to agree about changing the size of the goalie equipment instead.

Finally, if you want GREAT hockey, go watch a local AHL or college game. Tickets are far cheaper, and the games are just as good as, if not better than, their NHL counterparts.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The goalies do wear smaller pads than they did a couple of years ago. The game is really fast right now and that is fun as hell to watch. Pads are an inch narrower, and gloves and blockers are also sized down to a certain degree as well. Goalies are just way more athletic and better coached than they were in the past. But now that my son is a goalie, I enjoy an amazing save just as much as a great goal now.

Did you see that paddle save by Ryan Miller the other night vs. the Bruins! Spectacular!!!!

If anything the best change to the game would be to go to olympic sized rinks for the NHL - but that isn't going to happen because the bigger rink eliminates seats and the owners need to fill as many seats as possible.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
From what little experience I have it seems that NHL players are more approachable and nicer to fans than the other major sports.
Too bad all the good players are czech and canadian. That's the real reason the sport doesnt do so well. Bigger goals and other gimmicky rule changes arent going to create an American superstar, therefore, most americans will continue not to care.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
First, keep the goal as it is. Next, others have commented and I tend to agree about changing the size of the goalie equipment instead.

Finally, if you want GREAT hockey, go watch a local AHL or college game. Tickets are far cheaper, and the games are just as good as, if not better than, their NHL counterparts.
College games = very exciting due to the intensity and student sections(crowd)

AHL games = decent value. I'd take an NHL game anyday of the week over an AHL game though. But the tickets are indeed more affordable.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Are ticket prices even much to an NHL game? When the blackhawks come to town, I get tickets to the Predators games for $13 from the box office. Not ice level obviously, but still decent seats.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
College games = very exciting due to the intensity and student sections(crowd)

AHL games = decent value. I'd take an NHL game anyday of the week over an AHL game though. But the tickets are indeed more affordable.

I went to a Harvard/Clarkson game a few years back in Boston and almost got kicked out for being too (drunk) intense.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
In line with the exciting game/save a buck or 2 thinking, go see a Jr. A game if you have a team nearby. I used to see the Spokane Chiefs reagularly. Tommorows stars today, plus they will brawl AND many leagues allow beer sales!

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Are ticket prices even much to an NHL game? When the blackhawks come to town, I get tickets to the Predators games for $13 from the box office. Not ice level obviously, but still decent seats.
Depends on the city. In Toronto you're lucky if you can even get tickets.

re: the American star point, there are some American stars...and I'd be surprised if the average American even realizes that 65% of the players in the league are Canadian. I think it's something else.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Make the pads even smaller. The goalies are whiners. My dad's goalie equipment from the early 80s was smaller than my mid 90s player equipment.

Look at some film of Fuhr and Hextall and Smith and check out how much daylight there is behind them...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
If anything the best change to the game would be to go to olympic sized rinks for the NHL - but that isn't going to happen because the bigger rink eliminates seats and the owners need to fill as many seats as possible.
olympic rinks are so much better than regular ones. being a tall but skinny kid, i was a finesse player way back when, so the more room i had to skate the better. imo, to make the game more exciting, they should put less of an emphasis on hitting. to me it is much more exciting to see someone use skill to get past a defenseman than to just see them plow on through. the same goes for the defenseman, i would rather see him break up the play by intercepting the puck or knocking it away instead of knocking some guy on his ass. granted hitting is a part of the game, but it's just gotten out of hand. end-to-end rushes seem like a thing of the past these days, yet they are some of the most exciting plays to watch(not to mention it is fun as hell to take the puck from behind your own net and score).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
olympic rinks are so much better than regular ones. being a tall but skinny kid, i was a finesse player way back when, so the more room i had to skate the better. imo, to make the game more exciting, they should put less of an emphasis on hitting. to me it is much more exciting to see someone use skill to get past a defenseman than to just see them plow on through. the same goes for the defenseman, i would rather see him break up the play by intercepting the puck or knocking it away instead of knocking some guy on his ass. granted hitting is a part of the game, but it's just gotten out of hand. end-to-end rushes seem like a thing of the past these days, yet they are some of the most exciting plays to watch(not to mention it is fun as hell to take the puck from behind your own net and score).

YOu should see a team of Mite B players try to figure out how to play on an olympic sized rink - pretty interesting. There is one locally and we have games on it from time to time.

Did you watch the overtime of last night's Blackhawk's vs. Bluejackets game. Martin Havlat made a great rush only to be stymied by a nice pokecheck by Conklin in net for Columbus - in transition the Blue Jackets came down 3 on one and finished things off against the Bulin Wall (lots of cracks in that wall since leaving the Lightning). Great Action!

Clean hitting is a big part of the game and a great part of the game. It was all the clutching and grabbing and pulling and obstruction that was slowing things down. Much of that is gone now and the game is much better as a result.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Did you watch the overtime of last night's Blackhawk's vs. Bluejackets game. Martin Havlat made a great rush only to be stymied by a nice pokecheck by Conklin in net for Columbus - in transition the Blue Jackets came down 3 on one and finished things off against the Bulin Wall (lots of cracks in that wall since leaving the Lightning). Great Action!
i haven't watched professional hockey since ray bourque retired.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
and Hextall
I loved watching him hack the sh!t out of players who were in the crease. Sometimes it was like he was chopping down a tree.

The Flyers have sucked so bad this year I haven't even bothered watching a game.

splat

Nam I am
Make the pads even smaller. The goalies are whiners. My dad's goalie equipment from the early 80s was smaller than my mid 90s player equipment.

Look at some film of Fuhr and Hextall and Smith and check out how much daylight there is behind them...
Its funny , I am still using a vic 20 pro catcher that when i got it in the early 90's it looked and Felt HUGE!!! a couple of moths ago one of the refs in agme Was commenting on my "tiny" catcher, o how times have changed !

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
AHL is great value. Exciting as all get out. Most teams play in nice facilities and are well run. The NHL is quite expensive. I can't afford to go to any games. Even when I get hooked up with free tickets I end up dropping a c-note?? I miss the old days when I could just show up at the Aud and get some Orange seats and a couple of beers for $20. I am old.....