Quantcast

NHL playoffs...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Pens whipped ass...I had a mens league game to play and a six year olds b-day bbq to officiate at...is it worthwatchin on the Tivo or was it summed up pretty well on NHL On the Fly?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Pens whipped ass...I had a mens league game to play and a six year olds b-day bbq to officiate at...is it worthwatchin on the Tivo or was it summed up pretty well on NHL On the Fly?
I don't know how they summed it up... it was an exciting game, but really if you watch the highlights I think you get the picture! Fluery had some great saves... Biron as well, but the forechecking of the Pens was just oppressive! Flyers didn't stand a chance once the Pens got revved up!

The Flyers showed in game 4 the future of that club... what a turnaround in one year! congrats to Philly on a great comeback year :clapping: now lets go PENS!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
ALL my picks are out the window...stupid Wings!

Looks like it will be a great final tho...Syd the Kid & Malkin vs. Zetterberg, Datsyuk & Co. Cant wait!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Awesome game last night. :) I'll take the Red Wings blowing it open early to a close game any day.

I'd like to see the Wings win the finals in four. Although, I can't say I'll be entirely disappointed to see Pittsburgh win the Cup.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I think it will be a 6 or 7 game series. I think Pittsburgh CAN win the cup, but they are going to have to work really hard for it. Osgood was looking pretty dang good last night. He was taking a lot of shots in the third period and making it look easy.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Don't be surprised if you see a few Penguins put their heads down as if to shoot - only to fake and leave Osgood high and dry way outside his net. He come WAY out to cut off the angles - sometimes too far out, one little fake, deke and voila open net baby! If the Pens are watching tape (which I bet they are) look for them to expose that against Osgood.

Should be an entertaining series. I hope it has a great mix of North American grit alongside European puck control and finesse. If the series blends those two traits it will be a treat for hockey fans that's for sure.

When does the first puck drop for the finals?

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
I'd like to see the Wings win the finals in four.
I will not be betting against the possibility of this happening.

Don't be surprised if you see a few Penguins put their heads down as if to shoot - only to fake and leave Osgood high and dry way outside his net.
They'll have to find a way to take the puck away from the Wings first. Nobody's had much luck with that lately.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Wow. What a show. I've been a Wings fan for 30 years and am hoping they win the cup, but I'd still love to see the Pens make a series out of this to advance the NHL in general. The problem is that I don't think they can do it.

Throughout the last two rounds (and including last night) all the analysts keep saying that Colorado/Dallas/Pittsburgh are playing their worst games against Detroit. Is this all just coincidence?? It doesn't seem like it to me. From what I can tell, Detroit has absolutely mastered this offensive puck possession/defensive shutdown game to the point that no one has an answer for it. When you throw in a few timely saves from Osgood, the fact that Lidstrom is almost flawless in both ends, and the Red Wings' incredible depth (which will get immensly deeper when Franzen returns next game), it's hard to imagine any team taking 4 out of 7 from the Wings.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Penguins blew their chance last night when they couldn't score in the first period. 4 power plays and nothing to show for it. Not good. They seemed to play progressively worse (or the Red Wings got better) as the game went on.

It could end up being a short series if the Pens don't play a bit more desperate right from the get go in Game 2.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Wings again...Syndey and the boys had better get on some home cookin...right now I see Ozzie as MVP...but when you see very few quality chances, its easy. Wings D has been stifling.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I really dont understand why the Pens dont post someone in front of Osgood. There had to have been almost 10 times where there was a rebound and the puck was sitting idle on the ice for a couple seconds with no one there to pick it up.

Id like to take a swing at Malone. How many penalty minutes did he have? Every time the Pens get on a power play he does something dumb and makes it even strength.

That aside, Detroit is looking really really good. Their defense is right on.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Is it just me or did you guys find the first two games sort of boring? Maybe it was because of the dominance of Detroit - I'm not sure - but there doesn't seem to be as much intensity as I've seen in previous series. Anyone agree with me? Hell last night I kept clicking away from the game over and over. It just wasn't grabbing me - weird.

Damn though, Detroit looks rock solid. Pens better hold serve at home or they are toast.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Is it just me or did you guys find the first two games sort of boring? Maybe it was because of the dominance of Detroit - I'm not sure - but there doesn't seem to be as much intensity as I've seen in previous series. Anyone agree with me? Hell last night I kept clicking away from the game over and over. It just wasn't grabbing me - weird.

Damn though, Detroit looks rock solid. Pens better hold serve at home or they are toast.
It's not just you. If I wasn't a Detroit fan since birth, I would have been bored, too.

You hit the nail on the head as to why, also. I probably watched 70 of Detroit's regular season games on TV, and a lot of them were this way - they keep the puck for long stretches of time, and when they do give it up their defense just locks down the opposition. Check out some of their regular season stats - they led the league in SOG differential with a +11 (the next cloesest was a +5), and that led to them leading the league in goals differential with a +.89 (2nd was a +0.5). Basically, they were almost twice as good as any other team in the league in these critical categories. After a while, it not only gets frustrating for the opposition, it gets mundane to watch.

Anyway, on to Pittsburgh. For the sake of the game, I really hope the Penguins can come up with more than the cheap shots they were taking towards the end of Game 2. Hell, I'd be happy if they could just put one lousy goal up on the board!

--JP

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
if you watched ANY of the playoffs so far and you are not watching this game right now... I am sorry for you!

WIDE FLIPPIN OPEN! Tons of action, tons of checking... turn it on!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Anyway, on to Pittsburgh. For the sake of the game, I really hope the Penguins can come up with more than the cheap shots they were taking towards the end of Game 2. Hell, I'd be happy if they could just put one lousy goal up on the board!

--JP
I agree that is not what got the Pens here! that was frustration showing its ugly face! I am sorry that the game degraded to that. the last scrump did show that if Osgood likes to fall to the ice though the Pens WILL help him so he doesn't have to dive anymore. :lighten:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Pens showed some life tonight. Although the bench looked like a morgue after the second Wing goal...almost like they were bracing for the next one (which never came, fortunately...)

Ozzie was awesome again. I am seeing a Conn Smythe in his future...

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
if you watched ANY of the playoffs so far and you are not watching this game right now... I am sorry for you!

WIDE FLIPPIN OPEN! Tons of action, tons of checking... turn it on!
Agreed, thats the game we all thought the whole series was going to be like! The pens looked and played like a stanley cup finals team should play like. Take the man, the puck, shots, post up in front of the net and clean up the rebounds and you have goals. They didnt do any of those things the first two games.

I think it may be a 7 game series, but I hope its not, I have my brothers wedding next Saturday...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I bummed that the Wings lost last night, but I also recognize that the longer this series goes, the better it is for the NHL. I still think the Wings will wrap it up in five. Of course, I've been wrong before.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Good game last night for a hockey fan to watch. Especially the third period. Pittsburgh played with a lot of passion that's for sure. But, they still need to do a better job of getting pucks deep into the Detroit zone - I think that is where they will find their success. Dump it in and get on it QUICK! Because if you dump it in and don't forecheck hard and fast, you play right into Detroit's style of play by allowing their D to set up their puck control game. But it is a better strategy to play than trying to constantly dangle at their Blueline - turnovers there will kill ya.

It was nice to see one of Pittsburgh's grinders get the game winner - nice bank shot off of Osgood's back. Notice how that goal was set up too - quick aggressive and tough forechecking on a dump in.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
They need to stop trying to play the Wings game in their zone...cross the line and slow up/stop and wait for the play to catch up crap. Wings do it well, along with the Zett/Datsyuk crisscross coming into the zone. That sh*t kills! Blow through the neutral zone and get in on the D fast and early. Tire them out and then let the young legs take over in the third.

Didnt they go 6 minutes and change with no stoppages late in the third? Awesome tempo...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
They need to stop trying to play the Wings game in their zone...cross the line and slow up/stop and wait for the play to catch up crap. Wings do it well, along with the Zett/Datsyuk crisscross coming into the zone. That sh*t kills! Blow through the neutral zone and get in on the D fast and early. Tire them out and then let the young legs take over in the third.

Didnt they go 6 minutes and change with no stoppages late in the third? Awesome tempo...

Yes! about 6 minutes or so. Awesome back and forth action at a wicked high pace! That's what I was waiting for in games 1 and 2.

The crowd noise was off the charts during that stretch as well. Total intensity!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Props to Pierre McGuire for stating the obvious during the first intermission: Mario Lemieux was a better hockey player than Wayne Gretzky.

Too bad McGuire sucked as the Whalers head coach. BOOOO!!!!!

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I am glad to see the Pens are somewhat back to normal. Maybe there was no hatred in game one and two unlike the last three series. Now they seemed a little more fired up.

Gretzky had a much better supporting cast for most of his career compared to Lemieux. The only reason why Lemieux will always be the stepchild in the eyes of people (mostly Canadians) is because he speaks French.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Good point on the black...McQuire is a moron...and MESSIER was better then Gretz...well, I would pick him first to start a team anyway.
If Super Mario had never gotten sick, he wold have a greater legacy than Gretzky. May still if he wins a Cup as an owner and spawn another dynasty. 'Yotes dont seem to have much hope...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Oh boy, Pens are backed up against the wall. Can Syndey, the Flower and Gino man up and pull one out tommorow night? Stay tuned kids...

Also see the fight between Syndey and Grapes...can a twenty something kid prove a 90 something washed up voice of Canadian hockey wrong?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Will the real Evgeni Malkin please step forward!? Or will he have another no show game tonight? I think it could be lights out for the Pens tonight. And if so, a well deserved championship for the Red Wings.