Quantcast

NHL Playoffs . . .

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yeah it should be a great atmosphere tonight. The Hawks fans should be fired up.

Now can their defenseman control the puck in critical situations a little bit better? That's the question. They need to get some scoring from Kane too! He's been a non-factor so far.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Kaner has been a minus 5...terrible. He needsw to step up, Campbell needs not to choke up, and Khabbi needs to be strong again. UC crowd will be insane, as long as the boys are intense...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Great game last night. Boy Detroit stormed back in the 2nd period. Wonder what was up with Khabibulin? Flu? or did he get hurt?

That hit on Havlat was a nasty. I would have given him a 2 minute charging penalty for the hit, but not 5 and a game misconduct. I hope Havlat can return and didn't suffer a concussion.

If the Blackhawks win game 4 I see that series going 7.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I think Khabby was great, all the goals were redirections or screens. He has a "lower body injury" I beleive. He was pulled, and Crawford was dressed.

I thought the hit was clean...all shoulder, Marty had his head down along the boards. I think more damage could have been done during the scrum along the boards as he lay unconcious beneath all those idiots...

I just hope the boys have some confidence now. If they had lost after choking up a 3 goal lead it would have been over.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Damn...we now see why the Wings are a perennial favorite to win Lord Stanleys Cup. Ugle, ugly, ugly game by the Hawks today. Versteeg has worked his way off my list of favorite young players, and Campbell just needs to go.

Hawks let the Wings do exactly what the Nucks tried to do. Get under their skin and annoy the hell out of them. Showed themselves to be the young team they are.

We need one in Detroit...gotta make it respectable first, and then see what happens. Lookin kinda dark right now.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I don't know it looks like the Hawks are done but it is not over yet. Just really does not look good.

Pens vs. Wings in the finals again?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Wings got in their heads, and Hawks bit into it hook, line and sinker. A couple shady calls didnt help either, but when Q started bitching from the bench it only got worse.

Still have hope, but one game at a time...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That was an ugly one yesterday. The Hawks showed their youth and inexperience yesterday - it wasn't pretty.

But it ain't over til it's over - but it is pretty damned close to over. The Hawks are gonna need a little divine intervention and Patrick Kane needs to get a little toughness and grit in his game - the playoffs are a different beast than the regular season. Ya gotta get your nose dirty from time to time Patrick!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Blackhawks will need to play desperate but smart tonight and they'll need to get some scoring from Toews and Kane if they want to hang on longer.

Who's got the scoop on Lidstrom's injury?

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
It is the ever mysterious lower body injury.

Did any one see Bill Cower ring the alarm last night? What a loser.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Ahhh crap...

Boys put up a good fight, but the Wings are to deep and too experienced. BOTH goalies were out of their minds (Although I thought Huet was a little better...see save at end of regulation!) and the Hawks made them work for it. Kanes goal was beautiful, although one v. three is not the way to win games.

Now I become a Detroit fan for a couple painful weeks...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That save by Huet was sick! I love how slow motion can capture just how friggin good today's goaltenders are. It wasn't just luck - he intentionally put his leg up like that to stop the puck.

Bright future in Chicago, but the Red Wings are too damned talented and experienced.

Should be a helluva good series between the Pens and the Wings.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
The way that the Hawks played kinda leads you to think that they may do the same thing as the Pens next year. Hopefully they have learned what to do on the big stage.

Are they going to able to keep everybody for next year?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Darren Helm will never pay for a meal in Detroit again. If the winning goal wasn’t enough, that penalty kill half way through the 2nd period was totally unbelievable, and it was just the sort of blue collar effort that deifies pro athletes in a gritty, depressed-but-resilient town like Detroit.

The Blackhawks played great, too, and you’ve really got to hand it to Crystal Balls Huet for a fantastic performance. He had a great game overall, and that save at the end of regulation was a thing of beauty. You see lots of goalies down and out like that who just throw an arm or leg out and get lucky, but I agree with MMcG - that was a deliberate kick save that required unimaginable skill and focus, especially that late in such a huge game. I think Kane needs another year or two and about 25 more pounds to be a real impact player deep into the playoffs, and Toews is pretty much already there, so I like the way the Central Division is shaping up for a few years to come.

For the finals, it’s going to be a tight one. Obviously, the Wings need to get healthy fast. I think they’ve tapped a little too deeply into their depth, and it was clear they were running on fumes at the end of last night’s game. I still like Detroit’s chances against Pittsburgh, even though Malkin and Crosby are playing lights-out. The one thing none of the analysts I’ve read are taking into account is coaching experience. This will be Babcock’s 3rd trip to the finals, and Bylsma’s only been in the NHL for a few months. Because of that, I expect the Wings to come up with some strategies to severely limit Malkin’s chances and make life pretty difficult for Crosby. I’ve pretty much written off Datsyuk as anything more than a good defensive forward for the remainder of the playoffs, so Detroit’s going to need huge efforts from Zetterberg, Hossa, and Franzen. If Holmstrom could round into form, that’d be a nice bonus, too.

Wings in 7

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
P.S. This pic is badass. Love the two guys hugging eachother and throwing their beers in the air on the left hand side. :

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Are they going to able to keep everybody for next year?
Gotta keep Havlat, want to keep Versteeg (Although if he goes it wont kill me...more young guns coming from Rockford- Beach, Aliu, etc.). Khabby is gone, I see him going to the KHL.

Gotta save some cap space for 2011 for Toews, Kane and Seabrook.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It is the ever mysterious lower body injury.
Which means it's actually his shoulder. :biggrin:

Looking forward to actually getting to watch the finals with some sort of continuity, since I don't get Versus. WTF is with NBC not getting games 3 & 4 though? Anyway, it's going to be interesting. If Detroit was healthy, I'd be pretty confidant about giving them the win, but with their injuries and the kind of hockey Crosby and Malkin have been playing it'll be close. I think Detroit will probably still squeak it out, but Pittsburgh's top two have been electrifying.

As a goalie, I am completely in awe of Huet's save on Franzen. Seeing the play in slow motion, it wasn't too hard to read that Franzen was trying to loft that over Huet's pad even before he released it, but that Huet was able to process that and get his leg up, while sprawled on the ice like that is unreal. My reaction there would have been to keep the pad planted and try to get y stick or blocker up, which would have been about impossible from that position. F'ing impressive.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Detroit goal was total weaksauce. Pitsburgh fvcked up by turning the puck over a couple times in their own end to let that happen, but Detroit still didn't really deserve that. Lucky bounces. Shot from point -> boards -> side of net -> Fleury's foot -> Fleury's ass -> goal. :huh:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
well one down in Detroit - I'm surprised a bit that they Pens didn't have time to watch more tape to realize how lively the boards in Detroit are - two goals as a result and a loss in Game 1.

Their powerplay in the 2nd period sucked too. Too friggin slow - skate boys skate!

They gotta steal game 2 tonight to take away home ice for the Red Wings. If they don't take away home ice advantage - they are gonna be in tough shape.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Their powerplay in the 2nd period sucked too. Too friggin slow - skate boys skate!

They gotta steal game 2 tonight to take away home ice for the Red Wings. If they don't take away home ice advantage - they are gonna be in tough shape.
Their power play looked anemic all game. Granted Detroit didn't give up too many penalties, but Pittsburgh didn't get much done. The Pens need a win tonight badly. Going home down 2-0 against a team as good as Detroit would be bad news.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
They need to either carry the puck through the neutral zone and over the blue line with speed or dump and chase - the in between - half speed **** isn't going to work with the way Detroit is lining up 4 guys along the blue line. You gotta beat that with speed or with a dump in and then go hard into the zone with two men on the loose puck to win it.