Quantcast

Nicer bike = Slower rider?

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
I want to get your opinions about this idea I had. I don't want to generalize because there are always exceptions, so I will just give my personal experience.

Basically I think riding a nice expensive bike actually restricts how fast I could potentially go. When doing jumps or descending a rock section, I always worry about what would happen to the bike if I crashed. Since bike parts are so freakin fragile it seems, I obviously don't want to lay it down.

So...I just never put myself in a risky situation, but risky situations and pushing yourself beyond the limit is how you get better right?

So yea...opinions?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Don't spec the bike out all fragile crap on it like a certain Canfield whore we know. My bike weighs 40 lbs (with room to lose weight too) and I never have a second thought about it eating the sharpest rockgardens alive and surviving drops....it's the rider that's more questionable than the bike.

Point is you can have a nice, expensive, light bike that isn't necessarily a fairy bike too. It can be done with some careful planning.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Don't spec the bike out all fragile crap on it like a certain Canfield whore we know. .
Why? Ive broke cheap stuff too!
Its funny how some people have issues about others stuff, I build it tight and ride the crap out of it! And yet you still have issues with me.

Alot of people that build nice bikes do worry about breaking them. I don't like it either but then again I'll throw my bike and dead sailor if necesary without a hesitation.
For the most part Id say yes, people with nice bikes have a tendancy to stray from carnage unless they are pro and its all free.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
I will just give my personal experience.
Basically I think riding a nice expensive bike actually restricts how fast I could potentially go. When doing jumps or descending a rock section, I always worry about what would happen to the bike if I crashed.

You got it just right!

That's why I buy the nicest bike I can find so that I can tell my buddies I am slow but that's only because I am afraid of damaging my bike :biggrin:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Only from your perspective, not from everyone elses...

Mani, I've actually heard that excuse before a few times:
"I just got these cranks/forks/rims/pedals/whatever, I don't wanna scratch them up...."

Nobody ever seems to just say "I'm too scared to drop that/roll that/launch that" anymore.....

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by Hacktastic
Nobody ever seems to just say "I'm too scared to drop that/roll that/launch that" anymore
man and all this trash talk is comming from someone whos sn is hacktastic. man are you sure you got room to be talking cause im pretty sure you dont with a screen name like that.

ohh and back to the argument. i just finished my 08 sunday frame and in my mind it wasnt complete untile it got some mud on it, and it had a crash under its belt. we all relize that scratches, bruises, and blood are part of the sport. so we should expect the same to happen to the bikes we ride. if you dont want to scratch it get on a damn road bike.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It's a travesty when internet sarcasm is lost due to the lack of goofy little smilies and variations of "lol"....

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Not at all lol, I'm building up a new 08 Judge and im going to ride the piss out of it. I distroyed my 05 gemini DH but it was so worth it!

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
My park bike actually has quiet a bit of money into it, and I don't mind bailing in the hardest of ways if I need to. I abuse that thing so bad. Same with my Ventana. It now is spraypainted, which almost shows that I don't mind if it gets beat up. I'm tired of caring about the condition, and as long as it rides well and like it's supposed to, I'm content. But, after I say all of that, I really do enjoy having nice things on my bike, but for the bling factor and the functions.
Things like my frame, fork, and wheels, I don't care what happens to them. My fork is like nearly four years old, my frame is three years old, and my wheels are over four years old. I'll trash the hell out of them.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007

"I just got these cranks/forks/rims/pedals/whatever, I don't wanna scratch them up...."

Nobody ever seems to just say "I'm too scared to drop that/roll that/launch that" anymore.....
Haha dude you are so right. I have friends who talk SO MUCH crap about how great they are, then make up excuse after excuse about why they can't do it because of their bike.

Sure, I've said I didn't want to do certain stunts that would surely end in a crash because I was thinking more of my bike, but I'm not afraid to say "no way, I'm too scared to hit that" :biggrin:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Not me!

Day 1 on my newest bike - destroyed back wheel, gauged the crap out of my Straitline pedals (they still ROOL!)

Day 4, crushed the downtube in an expertly executed skinny 50/50 + 250lb rider. (as in DESTROYED the front triangel - thanks for the Crash Repl SCB!!! (300$ - 9 days and it was back on the trails.)

BAH - ride it and w/e - you probably wont wreck it, but if you do? Chicks dig bikes with scars!!

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Not me!

Day 1 on my newest bike - destroyed back wheel, gauged the crap out of my Straitline pedals (they still ROOL!)

Day 4, crushed the downtube in an expertly executed skinny 50/50 + 250lb rider. (as in DESTROYED the front triangel - thanks for the Crash Repl SCB!!! (300$ - 9 days and it was back on the trails.)

BAH - ride it and w/e - you probably wont wreck it, but if you do? Chicks dig bikes with scars!!
Ahh...see, I want my bike to last a long time without having to replace major components like the front triangle. If that means riding with limits, so be it. Unfortunately it takes 10 times longer to get any better though

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ahh...see, I want my bike to last a long time without having to replace major components like the front triangle. If that means riding with limits, so be it. Unfortunately it takes 10 times longer to get any better though

lulz - BAAAH!

My 03 Bullit has been beaten senseless - but ALSO cared for and still looks dang purdy! (Replaced that ft. triangle too! I 'removed' the headtube and SCB gave me a replacement - por gratis!)

Purty Bi-Si-Kills:

I only got about 11 days on it last season, but I went for broke!!!

5 years old (okay 2 yo fork, bars, cranks; 1 yo brakes)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
to some degree maybe, but my brooklyn is a better bike than I am a rider, and it actually allows me to ride faster than I could on a crappy bike. It's also extra expensive because it's ultra durable (one of the reasons I bought it) so I don't really worry when I wreck. I do worry occasionally about scratching it, but whatever, them's the breaks. I've got a ton of dents and scratches in it after a year and a half.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
For most, its all about the first scratch. Once you get that, you dont care anymorea and start wearing them with pride, knowing that dings and scratches are all battle earned memories. I mean look at my downtube, its beat to hell, dinged sandblasted and worn.. But damn I sure have a good time riding and thats what matters

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
If your thinking about the cost of things while your riding, your not doing it right.

When I am riding, the only thing I think about is the "now". Not the cost of the bike, not the cost of time off work if I smoke that tree... There is nothing in my head except, the things I have to do to in the next split second. At least that is the way it is on a good ride.

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Once you're done building up a new ride, take some picetures of it new. Then take it outside and hammer-toss it down the street. You'll never worry about it again

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I worry much more about my new nicer bike but it just prevents me from doing stupid things. I still hit it as hard as I did with 49.5 lb brick (now 39.2lb). Actualy broken the carbon part of my x.0 on one of the first rides. Hit a tree with my carbon bars (good carbon bars don't brake so nothing happened ;) ). Usualy if stuff breaks during riding in 3/4 cases it would breake in any bike so why bother.
It's only worth to bother when you are not riding. Then I'm crazy about it.

BTW. Use bike shields - they help if you like your paint but are a pain in the ass to clean from mud.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Shoot, if I've got a new bike, then it's an excuse to go even faster... cause like.. a new bike with blingin new stuff makes you like 10 seconds faster right?

Maybe I haven't really bought a super expensive bike for a while, but if I'm riding DH, I don't want to hold back and not have as much fun because a just spent a few grand.

All that said, I become a giant pvssy when it comes to putting my shiny new bike in the shuttle truck....

"AAAHHH! Get your pedals away from my down tube!"

"Don't turn your bars like that! It's going to scratch my bike!"

"Give it room! GIve it room!"

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I want to get your opinions about this idea I had. I don't want to generalize because there are always exceptions, so I will just give my personal experience.

Basically I think riding a nice expensive bike actually restricts how fast I could potentially go. When doing jumps or descending a rock section, I always worry about what would happen to the bike if I crashed. Since bike parts are so freakin fragile it seems, I obviously don't want to lay it down.

So...I just never put myself in a risky situation, but risky situations and pushing yourself beyond the limit is how you get better right?

So yea...opinions?

how bout you give me your nice DH sled and you cant take my half built and hella worked giant??? learn how to ride fast.. dont be a pussy!!

this kid is slow garens

ps... sweeeeeeet tires 'tihe'

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I don't know really... My bike has a mix of expensive/light things on it, but it also has the heavy burly components as well. After riding bikes for 7 years I know what components Im hardest on, thus knowing which ones I can't get really cheasy lightfeathered. Most importantly I know how I ride and know where my limits are, thus knowing where to put my bike so it doesn't brake! If you ride smoothly you shouldn't worry that much, if you like to plow through things, start worring. I think it's a combination of riding smoothly, putting the togeather the right components where they need be and riding your ass out!

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I broke cheap and expensive stuff, the real reason why i became a sissy is because I hurt myself a few times too often, so before doing something stupid I always ask myself: is it worth a 3 month rehab?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You get the same on the other end of the spectrum too. Won't do something because they claim their headset is loose/drivetrain is messed up/suspension/think something is going to break, etc...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
1st off Huck Banzai: That is the coolest botanical background Ive seen in a long time. Where is that. :thumb: I dig nature its a NW thing!

1.5 years and this is my chalk up:
broken back T7 (3rd time broken back)
ripped collar bone from strernum and muscles and tendoins ripped from skull
1 frame
1 wheelset
xo der
7 tires ripped out
I9 spokes
rear bianco caliper
1 twenty6 pedal
answer protaper bars and more........

I ride with loose spokes, creaking parts from time to time, I call it the failure factor ride till it fails and find the limits! :D I dont ride because Im afraid to hurt my bike...
Its cost me alot and If I stray sometimes its not because Im a puss its because Im not feeling it. The realization I broke my t7 (inbetween shoulder blades) trips me out and I chill out. Unfortunently I forget the pain involved and start hucking and dropping again! :D So if Im not feeling it from time to time its my own personal demons and not equiptment.

If I dont go bigger further and harder past my limits then my regrets will far outway my personal demons and I can't live with that so I move forward and reduce regrets.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK

So yea...opinions?
Personally I ride my bike the same as I would if it was an old beater. Never worry about the consequences of breaking it (only breaking myself!)

With the old EX823 rims I did find myself being careful in rock gardens because they dinged so easily, but the newer ones are plenty strong enough and give me every confidence to blatt through things.

PS, you've all heard it before: light, strong, cheap. Pick two.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I worry more about my bike in a shuttle truck than i do on the trail. My downtube is disgusting.
That's true, I worry a lot about brake levers, shifter, hoses cables and rotors on uplifts. But not when riding.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
after breaking my tibia plateau in a roadgap gone wrong, i'm more worried about my body than my bike. the bike is a material object that i can fix. the body is a bit different.

that being said, my bikes are rarely in new condition (i just replace what's needed) and i've embraced patina. i could care less if my frame gets scratched.

i do, however, notice a direct correlation between the clappedoutededness of a bike and rider skill. a guy in our crew rides a beat-down steelhead with a z150 and mix-matched brakes, single speed... and he kills it.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Aye, my friend wins races on a bike with no rebound damping and a highly ineffective front brake as his forks haemmorage thier oil all over it!

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
after breaking my tibia plateau in a roadgap gone wrong, i'm more worried about my body than my bike. the bike is a material object that i can fix. the body is a bit different.

that being said, my bikes are rarely in new condition (i just replace what's needed) and i've embraced patina. i could care less if my frame gets scratched.

i do, however, notice a direct correlation between the clappedoutededness of a bike and rider skill. a guy in our crew rides a beat-down steelhead with a z150 and mix-matched brakes, single speed... and he kills it.
Adding to urban dictionary...

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
Adding to urban dictionary...
nice!

i added janktified to urban dictionary:

(past tense) to be janky. in a janky state of condition. to impose a janky manipulation on an object. busted up. see also janked up

"my mechanic has no skillz, he janktified my car and now it runs like crap!"
"your bike is so janktified, i wouldn't ride that sandcast rig to the bodega!"
"somebody just janktified the bathroom!"

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
If I dont go bigger further and harder past my limits then my regrets will far outway my personal demons and I can't live with that so I move forward and reduce regrets.
Well spoken, you should write one of those "how to for dummies" manualls on how to live an exemplary good life!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Your friends are a bunch of little girls :D

Typically I keep my bikes in perfect working order so the performance is never an excuse.....as far as worrying about scratching things........I ALWAYS express my fear of scratching myself first. :D Seriously though....I say "I'm skeerd" all the time. If I'm stopping to ponder something, then that's why........even if it's just a more adventurous line down some rocks.