Quantcast

Nico talks lapierre and garbonzo

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
holy cow, that bike comes in at 34.4 lbs....

lightweight wheels and 6" brakes... I wonder if he's underestimating the Garbanzo track... doesn't it come down some of the gnarlier trails on the top of the mountain? Original Sin, In Deep, and the World Cup aren't exactly smooth trails :confused: I know he's a super smooth, super talented rider but still... I'll be looking forward to seeing if that's the set-up he settles on.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC

lightweight wheels and 6" brakes... I wonder if he's underestimating the Garbanzo track... doesn't it come down some of the gnarlier trails on the top of the mountain? Original Sin, In Deep, and the World Cup aren't exactly smooth trails :confused: I know he's a super smooth, super talented rider but still... I'll be looking forward to seeing if that's the set-up he settles on.
The 2nd stage of the 4 Queens race used the Garbonzo course and sub-15min. times of the winners were on AM/XC bikes (Trance, Blur LT, Tallboy, etc.). And those were mortals...

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Super nice find! Love hearing the master talk about his setup. Nico was not afraid to try things back in the days and it looks like the same now.

Bike is pimp as sh*t also!

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The 2nd stage of the 4 Queens race used the Garbonzo course and sub-15min. times of the winners were on AM/XC bikes (Trance, Blur LT, Tallboy, etc.). And those were mortals...
FYI, everyone was on small bikes due to the format of the race, and I guarantee the top guys would have been faster on bigger bikes.

I dunno. Nico's the man, but his decision to run with some lighter weight stuff specifically for this race is, interesting, to say the least...

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
It's a long race with some hard pedaling and no sustained steeps. He's right to go with those brakes etc IMO. I only hope he doesn't have a flat (as anyone could down In Deep) as I think he'll do very well with considering his Mega result.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

Original Sin requires you to use your brakes for a total of about 10 seconds (admittedly VERY hard braking for short periods of time), In Deep is actually surprisingly flat for the most part, just stupidly rough, Duffman isn't exactly the world's steepest trail either... World Cup Singletrack is a green run that only actually requires braking once or at most twice, depending on your ability. Nico is also not a big guy and unbelievably smooth, as far as a race specific bike goes, that thing is pretty sick. Personally I'd trade off heavier rotors for less hand/arm pain but then again, I'm not 10x world champ.

In other news, I actually got held up by that guy yesterday. Eventually I got past, went by him like he was standing still.

In fairness to him, he was standing still, and we were still on the lift platform at the top of Garbo.