Quantcast

Nicolai Internship and Inhouse show

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Hey Ridemonkey people

Had a free sneaky moment a Nicolai today as the in house show is running at the moment. So i thought i would post some pictures of my internship and the In house show for your enjoyment.

Well firstly I better start off with what I do. I study Industrial design At Queen Mary University London and am just about to start my 3rd year of study (GREAT:()

And well thats all you need to know about me because there is not that much other interesting stuff to know. But I’m sure you guessed that I’m huge into the old bikes, and cant basically get enough of it. (Except for when it come to lady's they come first, of course :-))

So my course and interest in bikes naturally led me to the dream of wanting to be part of the bike industry. Nicolai has allowed me this opportunity! After a few emails and many times trying to load my stupidly large portfolio on to an email, I got the placement as the only industrial design intern. Now they usually have about 2 to 4 interns working in the office for them at any given time. This many consist of engineers, but when the need some sexy style (I try) they get in the old industrial designers like me!! There are other interns in the company working on CNC machines and other more hands on engineering jobs as well. But at Nicolai you never know what you may be given to :-D

I have now been working here for 2 months and my time is nearly up!! Its crap i know! Some people stay for 4 weeks, some stay for a year.. I only had 2months. BUT in the those 2 months I have leant so much its actually a joke! Sometimes I wonder why I pay for university!! The responsibility at first is quite overwhelming but then at the end when you look back it just seems like you have grown so much!

During my time I have been on a project that I’m not allowed to talk about.. LOL so that’s mega interesting for you.. I’m sorry about that, but you will see it next year some time, it will defo be up there on the forum boards! My other main job that i was employed for was to create and design the EuroBike stand. Which I have just finished! Its pretty incredible, Kalle gave me such a challenge on it, just to keep it simple, sexy! Its so rewarding to see one of you own designs been manufactured as it is now!

Also during this time is the In house show. This means you can come to the factory look around, have a personal tour with Kalle Nicolai and see everthing is made in house with, ride all the bikes around the factory or up on the local trails and have a few beers and a BBQ full on German style! What more could you want!!!:D

So there is my short story for you about my internship at Nicolai. Loads of pics underneath with little bits of info for you to peruse at your own leisure! :-D

Take it easy, maybe see you at Euro bike.. (I will be the tall on the Nicolai stand trying to pretend I know what I’m doing):thumb:

Luke

Nicolai Factory in Sleepy Lubbrechtsen

Jonas and Yens Working on the Jigs

Some serious Bad boy precision welding getting down!!

Bike prep room.. Again Everything is done to perfection!

Jan, formally a Ninja Turtle, is the king of making your frame perfect.. some times i just go and watch..:-)

Bit of dancing by Steph..Look everyone is happy at work here..LOL

This guy loves the photos look at that grin!! Pimp hand at the Lathe

The intern desks.. Right behind Kalle, so at all times he can keep an eye on us!! LOL (only joking)

Matthias doing some crazy shizzle neaxt to chirssy!! she seems to like..:-D She can build a G boxx a bit good to!

The design office.. Nice place to work.. good vibe

The draws of every riders dream.. These draws hold stuff that us normal folk would rob a grandma to have.. Not really i don't encourage that btw (legal notice)

Paint Paint Paint.. They will do anything.. or nothing what ever you want..

All the New Anno colours available to you

Nicolai Ion, Gates Team colours, with G boxx..VERY NICE :-D

Helius AM.. Man this bike is fast.. Been riding it up on the local single track and it is sweet!! I want one

LOL like i said any colour.. Pink with gold glitter........:D

One of my favorites.. Argon fixie with carbon drive..

Close up of the carbon Drive

Another Argon... I know its not a free ride or dh rig, but for pure speed its what you need!

Some of my work been manufactured... Can you guess what it is yet?? :-D

I really really really love this room..

In house show, you can really see everything is made in house, noting is made outside the factory gates

The Main man himself Kalle Nicolai, doing personal tours all weekend

Hope you enjoyed the pics, i will have some more to come at some point.

Any questions feel free to ask me or pm me..

If you want pics of certain bikes please ask

2010 catalog is up: http://whyexfiles.dbap.de/Public/NICOLAI/Katalog_2010/NICOLAI-2010-web.pdf

luke

Last edited:

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Matthias doing some crazy shizzle neaxt to chirssy!! she seems to like..:-D She can build a G boxx a bit good to!
I'm gonna need to see some geometry diagrams and some high res photos of the pivot points and raw frame for Chirssy.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Cool post...glad KarlHeinz is still making bikes. I have pics somewhere from when he stayed with us in 94'...we took him to our family picnic for some classic american BBQ haha.
Thanks for posting.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Hey People cheers for the kind responses.

Lol that is Hoshi been sneaky in the back round, he was working his ass off all weekend for eurobike.

LOL i will ask him today about the family BBQ. she what he says. im sure he will remember

Yeah man, its great for students, you learn so much.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Thanks for sharing! I just finished up my Industrial Design degree at Wentworth Institute in Boston. Id love to check out your portfolio of its online anywhere?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Thanks for sharing! I just finished up my Industrial Design degree at Wentworth Institute in Boston. Id love to check out your portfolio of its online anywhere?
Hey Bud that sounds awsome!

But Im afraid to say that my portfolio is waiting to go online as soon as possible.

If you PM me your email address i can tell you when it is up!

Oh some of my work is in the B-boxx post below..:thumb: