Quantcast

Nicolai Open House 2004 - new 2005 products straight from Germany

TST

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
Just like every year, one week before the Eurobike, at the 27th and 28th of August, the Nicolai Open House took place. At the moment, I am a student apprentice here at Nicolai.
I just thought that I could give some short impressions of the trade fair and the new products to everybody who could not get here.
Unfortunately the weather wasn’t quite as expected. Despite of that, many interested customers and bike dealers came to Lübbrechtsen.

As usual is Kalle busy explaining.

During the factory sight seeing (Falco with that black/orange cap in the middle) you were able to watch our welders.

Here is the new Nucleon TST with the G-Boxx. Not only our Team Rider Frank “Schneidi” Schneider (at the right) would have liked to testride it extensive already this weekend. But right now, we only have the TST frame-kit here; so he will have to wait until the Eurobike next week, where we are going to have it completely mounted.

Inside the “small” barn we had built our entire Eurobike-stand with the 2005-models of the DSK-bikes.

Dinner is served! Our welder Thorsten preparing the tasty bbq.

Unlike the Nucleon TST, the Nucleon TFR could be taken out for test rides; at least as nobody else was just doing so…

With rear-travel ranging between 4.5” and 6.5” (117-167mm) the TFR is designed for forks with up to 150mm travel. As a result you can take ride it anywhere between trails and bike parks.

Whereas the TST is a pure downhill frame with 7”-8.5” (185-210mm) rear travel.

Both bikes have the common rear hub construction COR (Compound Rear hub). The system allows you to remove your wheel, without getting dirty fingers, due to the fact, that the chain, the rear cog and the disc brake stay attached to the frame.

Another Highlight beside the Nucleon TST and TFR is the revised Helius ST. Equipped with an aligned seat angle and an UFO-like front derailleur mounting tower, the Helius ST is close to perfection.

Using a front derailleur the Helius ST comes with 6,5” – 7,25” (160-180mm) of travel. Without a front derailleur and its mounting tower 8” (200mm) of travel are possible. For extra hard conditions and riders we offer you the Option of a stiffer “Lambda”-swing arm.

In 2005 the Helius FR comes with a ST head tube gusset and a ST shock mount.

Go for Gold with the lightweight Saturn TCC… 21,3lbs

Besides the bikes and the factory tour the visitors had the opportunity to visit the tech-workshops, different guided tours (between easy single trails and drop-practice), trial shows and much more.
For all of you, that missed this year’s Nicolai Open House is the next chance to get up to date – as you know – the Eurobike…

After all – next year, same place, same time: one week before the Eurobike is the 2005 Nicolai Open House coming up!

For further information check www.nicolai.net and www.g-boxx.org

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
Dude, if there's a bike appreciation award in Germany - or anywhere else for that matter: Here's eight guys who continue to push out innovative products year after year. Not only one prototype, but a freakin fleete of ideas that can change the entire industry producing drivetrains... it's awesome.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Wow, I'd never want to lube that chain for fear of getting the tiniest drop onto the pads or rotor.... Very cool idea, we'll have to see how it works in the real world.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I was just thinking, I wonder how the engagement mechanism works that holds the hub onto the chainwheel/rotor peice. It would have to withstand the rotational forces in both directions, yet allow the hub to slide out the back for removal of the wheel (It doesn't look like the right-side dropout is removable, so it would have to slide out of the dropouts)..... hmmm.....

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
zane said:
I was just thinking, I wonder how the engagement mechanism works that holds the hub onto the chainwheel/rotor peice. It would have to withstand the rotational forces in both directions, yet allow the hub to slide out the back for removal of the wheel (It doesn't look like the right-side dropout is removable, so it would have to slide out of the dropouts)..... hmmm.....
im pretty sure the hub is a fixed gear hub, and the freewheel is in the gearbox

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
They said that the rear cog and brake rotor are on one fixed piece that attaches to the frame, and the hub attaches onto it-

Nicolai Bikes- "The system allows you to remove your wheel, without getting dirty fingers, due to the fact, that the chain, the rear cog and the disc brake stay attached to the frame."

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
zane said:
They said that the rear cog and brake rotor are on one fixed piece that attaches to the frame, and the hub attaches onto it-

Nicolai Bikes- "The system allows you to remove your wheel, without getting dirty fingers, due to the fact, that the chain, the rear cog and the disc brake stay attached to the frame."
yes,

but the hub has no engagement mechanism or freewheel in it, think if it as reversed, the rear cog always spins, the front is a freewheel. This way you can remove the hub flange body and not have to worry about freewheel/hub interface

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
well when I lube my chain I let it sit for a while then I wipe off the excess....if an individual puts on some much lube that it flies into the disk then they shouldn't be working on bikes in the first place.....D

TST

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
@ViolentVolante
You are right... There is no freewheel in the hub. Its integrated in the G-Boxx.
To dismount the rearwheel, you just have to remove the thruaxle. After removing it you can easily pull out the wheel. The hub is connected to the cog with an inner toothing. The disc and the cog stay mounted on the swingarm...

Beside, I love this one ---> :drool:

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hey TST, concerning the Helius ST and FR, are they both FSR? Coz i see two different swingarms there... for the ST and FR. And how on earth do you get rid of the FD tower in order to get the travel to 200mm?

Yannis

TST

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
1st:
They are both equipped with a 4-Link Suspension (incl. the "Horst-Link") patented by Specialized.

2nd:
The FR chainstay is similar to the ST. Only the Seatstay changes. Optionally you can order a reinforced Seatstay for the FR.

3rd:
The FD Tower can eaysily be removed. Ist just mounted with one scew. Here you see the UFO without thw FD Tower. At the ST it is the same...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Die derrailler DIE!!!! ARGGGHH!! :angry: :eviltongu :devil: :p

Nicolai keeps fighting the good fight to put the derrailler in the recycling bin, thanks very much! Now someone needs to make a more feasabile drivetrain for them.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
BMXman said:
well when I lube my chain I let it sit for a while then I wipe off the excess....if an individual puts on some much lube that it flies into the disk then they shouldn't be working on bikes in the first place.....D
Yes
I can only agree with you that the bicycle is too complicated for the layman. All work should be done by the LBS or pro-shop at the mountain. :rolleyes:

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
I was just wondering about the shifting on the g-box system, is there just a Rohloff 14spd hub in there or is it something completely different. If it is then dose it just have the Rohloff gripshift for changing gear or something else, and if something else how many gears dose it have?

Also is 5600 Euros ($6800) the right price fort the TST

Thanks
Tom

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The only question I have is, how much more resistance is there in an internal gearbox plus the two chain drives versus a standard derailleur system. This is a serious question not a criticism. I have read somewhere that the Rohloff has only a little bit more but the article seemed to leave out the fact that the Rholoff is still chain driven.

TST

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
@oldfart:
The resistance compared to a brand new derailleur systan is a little higher. But as soon as you are riding you bike the resistance in the derailleur system gets higher because every kind of dirt can get onto the shifting parts.You always have to clean and lube your system after/before riding. The g-boxx is an enclosed system, so that no dirt can touch the shifting parts. The resistance stays the same and in the long term the resistance is lower, than the resistance of a derailleur system.

Allrigty than...

My apprentice ends tomorow. So this will be my last post, regarding this subjekt.
I had a great time at Nicolai, I leared so much about bike-constructions and shifting systems furthermore I had a hard but joyful Time with all the guys at the Eurobike. WOW...
Now I have to go back to my studies. I'm a little sad about leaving... OK, not just a little. I am sad about leving. I'll miss them.
:( :( :(
But, perhaps, I will return next year - I hope so...

"I'll be back"

Greetz

TST

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
TST said:
@oldfart:
The resistance compared to a brand new derailleur systan is a little higher. But as soon as you are riding you bike the resistance in the derailleur system gets higher because every kind of dirt can get onto the shifting parts.You always have to clean and lube your system after/before riding. The g-boxx is an enclosed system, so that no dirt can touch the shifting parts. The resistance stays the same and in the long term the resistance is lower, than the resistance of a derailleur system.
QUOTE]

That doesn't make any sense. Both use a chain drive which is exposed to the elements. Therefore the resistance in that respect will be nearly the same depending on the size of the respective drive and driven gears. The difference is that the gearbox has a bunch of small gears to provide various ratios and that gearbox is a source of friction. Some gearbox systems have two chain drives, one from the crank to the gearbox and another from the gearbox to the rear wheel. What I'm interested in is how much loss is there in the gearbox itself. Perhaps its not possibel to quantify in objective terms as in it sucks up X% of pedalling input but is there a way to describe it subjectively?