Quantcast

Nicolai teaser... :)

davod

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
is that a rohloff in there? The boxx(?) looks pretty small (compared to the DH g-boxx bike)

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
So if companies can put forth the large effort to develop and refine Gboxx like this, could they please develop an option for a rapidfire shifter system to go with it? That alone would be a very large obstacle for me to overcome in order to buy.

That bike looks GREAT btw! Very interesting. I agree having the chain run by the rotor does make me nervous though.

Nicolai-USA

Chimp
Dec 23, 2001
Long Beach, CA
ssshhh... guys, this isnt the finished product... this concern has already been taken care of with a very simple solution... patience... ;)

BrayDownhill said:
seems to be a bit worrying!!

otherwise its so sweet, the g-boxx looks so minimal.

cant wait for gear boxes to take over the world!!

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Nicolai-USA said:
ssshhh... guys, this isnt the finished product... this concern has already been taken care of with a very simple solution... patience... ;)
Shaft drive??? It's the next logical step. Imagine that, a sealed drivetrain impervious to the elements. Let the naysayers chime in, then go look under their car.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
xy9ine said:
shafts are too heavy & innefficient (which is why racing motorcycles still use chains).
But considering that even a huge torquer like Lopes is making a tiny fraction of what a moto puts out, is it possible that shafts could work to be proportionally a lot lighter and more efficient for bicycles?

I'm just a layman, but I know that what works for motos doesn't necessarily hold true for bicycles, and vice-versa (both mechanically and riding-technique-wise.)

MD

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
xy9ine said:
shafts are too heavy & innefficient (which is why racing motorcycles still use chains).
Hmmm, I've found my deraileurs and chain to be highly inefficient when they are caked in mud. Let me take a moment to salute people like Nicolai, Rolhoff and G-Boxx for pushing the envelope and proving naysayers wrong.

Nicolai-USA

Chimp
Dec 23, 2001
Long Beach, CA
here's some more officially photos and specs...

Nucleon TFR Enduro "G-Boxx"

G-Boxx drivetrain
travel, adjustable 5-7 inches
custom 12mm rear hub
super stiff rear-end, perfect even for dh duties
weight = 32 pounds

more to come... including the new G-Boxx woops! almost gave out too much info! ;)

Attachments

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Nicolai-USA said:
G-Boxx drivetrain
custom 12mm rear hub
weight = 32 pounds

Sounds like the perfect bike for me and my European adventures.
I live 400km from Karl's factory and lucky me I don't have the $$ for a new frame :rolleyes:
When will the first "consumer frame" be available ?

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Trond said:
I might come across as ignorant, but how much lube is needed on a "singlespeed"?
Exactly the same ammount that is needed on any bicycle chain.
(just enough and not a bit more).

Why would someone EVER develop a hub with the cog and the disk on the same side?
The disk brake can be mounted on the right side....so why isn't it?

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Sideways said:
Exactly the same ammount that is needed on any bicycle chain.
(just enough and not a bit more).

Why would someone EVER develop a hub with the cog and the disk on the same side?
The disk brake can be mounted on the right side....so why isn't it?
While it could potentially cause a large annoyance, I think you would just have to be a little careful when you lube the chain. As long as you didn't put too much so that it could fling up when riding I think you would be okay.

May 6, 2004
Nucleon TFR Enduro "G-Boxx"

G-Boxx drivetrain
custom 12mm rear hub
weight = 32 pounds

I am a bit concerned whether 32lbs is the real weighr? according to german forum mtb-news.de and Nicolai thread <http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=107737&page=3&pp=25> the weight is more 15,5kg - 16 kg (~ 35,4lbs), so who is right?
is 32lbs a target weight and 35lbs is a current one or there is a some kind of mistake?

You also mentioned that Rohloff Hub has been heavily changed to fit new Nicolai G-Boxx design, so the question is, is it the same with maintenance procedure, i.e internal oli change?

ps. what is all about G- Boxx about? is it this new "enduro" version to be final version to be available by August?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
tatankainlondon said:
I am a bit concerned whether 32lbs is the real weighr? according to german forum mtb-news.de and Nicolai thread <http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=107737&page=3&pp=25> the weight is more 15,5kg - 16 kg (~ 35,4lbs), so who is right?
is 32lbs a target weight and 35lbs is a current one or there is a some kind of mistake?
It's a proto. You shouldn't get hung up on how much it weighs - there is literally no way of guessing what they might do to it between now and production that might change the weight. Who knows, maybe it'll end up being 40lbs!

http://www.g-boxx.org for more information on the G-boxx.