Quantcast

Nicolai teaser... :)

May 6, 2004
Hi!

Thanks for weight details, but after I had summarised all items, the total weight was 14475 g.
Then I found out that swingarm weight is 350g only, which sounds strange to me. Probably there should be 1350g for it.

rbx

Monkey
ok the bike looks amazing but some few questions..

so being a rohloff the bike will have 14speeds?(my understanding is that rohloffs have 14speeds) would that be enough for trail riding?

also it looks like the main pivot is cc with the rohloff meaning it would pedal the same as cc bikes, and those bikes dont have a reputation of pedalling well..

no critisim just curious observations:)

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
rbx said:
ok the bike looks amazing but some few questions..

so being a rohloff the bike will have 14speeds?(my understanding is that rohloffs have 14speeds) would that be enough for trail riding?
Traditional 9*3 bikes have only 14 gears or something along those lines because of overlap on the full range of gears. Many gear combinations are the same.

So effectively the Rohloff will have as many gears as a traditional drivetrain. It feels like it too :)

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
rbx said:
also it looks like the main pivot is cc with the rohloff meaning it would pedal the same as cc bikes, and those bikes dont have a reputation of pedalling well..

no critisim just curious observations:)
Concentric bikes usually pivot around the bottom bracket. The Nicolai will pivot around the Rohloff (higher placed). It will pedal like a BMW (jackshaft) and not have any chainsuck. They usually pedal great. Sounds brilliant to me.

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
apparently the prototype is using a modified rohloff (could be modified to give more gearing??) but the production version is supposed to have a custom made in house nicolai unit. Read that on here somewhere.