Quantcast

Nicotine Monkies

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
I was at Northstar a month ago and noticed several riders smoking cigs or dipping, including Shaun Palmer. A few weeks ago, I was at Whistler and noticed people enjoying the legal smoke.

While I am not with the anti-smoking brigade, I am surprised so many riders are dipping and smoking cancer sticks. I can't imagine riding my local mountain xc loop if I was a smoker. Any thoughts?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Not all that surprised that Napalm dips considering his past. I also have noticed this, seems all to counter-productive to me, but who am I to judge.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
During my one season of downhilling I noticed a very high percentage of people smoking. I just cracked it up to downhillers caring more about looking cool than riding bikes and what is cooler than smoking?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
^ kinda funny that you mention that. No one seems to care about the after ride beer that is considered the norm (myself included). Not saying its a bad thing just interesting.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah smoking is always a bit of a surprise. I remember working on cancer therapies with smokers...that's always a bit hilarious. "Hey, can you scale this up for mouse tumor models while I go have a smoke?".

The thing that always amazed me was pot smokers and downhilling. I cannot imagine anything more terrifying. Maybe if you're a regular 'head it's fine, but no way jose.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
^ kinda funny that you mention that. No one seems to care about the after ride beer that is considered the norm (myself included). Not saying its a bad thing just interesting.
Unless it is an after ride case alcohol doesn't limit your ability to ride the next day.

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Yeah smoking is always a bit of a surprise. I remember working on cancer therapies with smokers...that's always a bit hilarious. "Hey, can you scale this up for mouse tumor models while I go have a smoke?".

The thing that always amazed me was pot smokers and downhilling. I cannot imagine anything more terrifying. Maybe if you're a regular 'head it's fine, but no way jose.
No herb for me when I am dhing. :eek:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Only when doing hookers and blow in appropriate amounts as not to compromise economies of scale.

I'm guessing 200lb hookers are cheaper.
Screw that. You need to bag a 300+ pounder in order to do a mountain of coke. Bonus points if you need a ladder to reach it.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Unless it is an after ride case alcohol doesn't limit your ability to ride the next day.
agreed, just sayin.

I ride with a guy pretty often who always burns before we ride, claims it puts him in "the zone" cant argue with him though, he's faster than me. Just makes me wonder how he would ride if he didn't.

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I like having a cigarette or 3 when the fancy takes me. It'll probably kill me when I'm in my 80's. Until then I'll enjoy a lung lolly with an alcoholic beverage. They just go togther like N8 and a punch in the face.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I puked after dipping cope when I was a kid.
Me too - but I was about 7 the first time - hitting it again at 12 was just like going home... :rolleyes:

Looks like I was wrong about Kodiak (stolen from teh web):

Content is expressed as a percentage of total dry weight: Moist Snuff Skoal Wintergreen Long Cut -- 3.35 percent Skoal Long Cut Straight -- 3.33 percent Copenhagen -- 3.2 percent Kodiak -- 2.99 percent Skoal Bandits -- 2.16 percent Hawken -- 0.59 percent Plug Cannon-Ball -- 2.16 percent Day's Work -- 1.63 percent Looseleaf Lancaster -- 1.1 percent Red-Man -- 0.87 percent Beech-Nut -- 0.77 percent (Source: The Associated Press)

Still - tobacco and sweet should not mix!

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Me too - but I was about 7 the first time - hitting it again at 12 was just like going home... :rolleyes:

Looks like I was wrong about Kodiak (stolen from teh web):

Content is expressed as a percentage of total dry weight: Moist Snuff Skoal Wintergreen Long Cut -- 3.35 percent Skoal Long Cut Straight -- 3.33 percent Copenhagen -- 3.2 percent Kodiak -- 2.99 percent Skoal Bandits -- 2.16 percent Hawken -- 0.59 percent Plug Cannon-Ball -- 2.16 percent Day's Work -- 1.63 percent Looseleaf Lancaster -- 1.1 percent Red-Man -- 0.87 percent Beech-Nut -- 0.77 percent (Source: The Associated Press)

Still - tobacco and sweet should not mix!
I am starting to crave a dip. Did I start this thread???