Quantcast

Night Rides for the ladies

J

JRB

So Julie has been a couple of times and really seemed to like it. Funny thing is, she later said, "I just don't feel right on my mountain bike". Is it night rides you think??? She won't ride off of big drops, but is getting to where she will ride off of something nearly a foot if the run out is not loose. If it is, she's out. Just wondering if you think she is just not wanting to ride a mountain bike. She seems to have fun, but I am not sure any more.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
What I would suggest is you take her riding during the day when she can get used to her bike and riding in general. If you don't feel confortable on your bike, what is going to make you conforatable dropping or doing anything more challenging (especially in the dark)....baby steps!!! :D Where are you from? You should have her try and find some girls to ride with.

J

JRB

MUTOLI said:
What I would suggest is you take her riding during the day when she can get used to her bike and riding in general. If you don't feel confortable on your bike, what is going to make you conforatable dropping or doing anything more challenging (especially in the dark)....baby steps!!! :D Where are you from? You should have her try and find some girls to ride with.

We live in Central TX. She goes in the day, but doesn't like to ride with most of the girls that we know. They are usually someone's wife that just bitches that they are there. Not many ladies that ride. She is progressing, but doesn't really want to get hurt and has that imbedded in her mind. She is a lot stronger than she thinks. She has also gotten a good deal of strength on the road that is helping. Just wondering if the night rides spook her at some point that she doesn't recognize since she is having fun. She really seems to enjoy it, but has no aspirations to get fast or competitive. I really do need to find her someone to ride with.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Speaking from personal experience as a girl, and new to the scene somewhat! I have been riding for over a year now. I started out as riding XC. Then in May of this year I bought a downhill bike and I now race DH...
I think that she needs to try and not focus on the bad(getting injured), but on the good...At one point or another you are going to crash(sometimes really bad)...it's just part of riding. If you can't get over that then you may as well hang up your bike. (for example) If you don't try things over and sension parts of a trail you have a really hard time with, or may have crashed on..how will you ever get better. I have been very fortunate myself as I have progressed quicker then I expected. It may be because my husband is one of the best riders in the PNW and I get to ride with him and learn..but I also think it's because I want to be a better rider, but most of all I love it! That is the key ..you must enjoy it! Don't do it because someone really wants you to! It needs to be something she wants to do! Not saying she doesn't!!! ;)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i focus on getting injured all the time. i am a total wimp. i ride way under my level and only try new things when i am positive i can do them. that is the way i am comfortable riding. i have gotten a lot better and a lot more brave because i ride like i want and dont feel preasured to try anything i am not comfortable with. just let her go at her own pace. one of these days she'll bust out with something she's never done before and it will motivate her to try some new things.

night rides used to creep me out, and i still get stage fright when there are a lot of people around. i get more done when i ride solo. this may be the case for her as well. i know tammy feels the same way. some people are solo riders, some people are overly cautious. just dont try to convince her that she can change her attitudes about riding. i've tried to convinvce myself that i shouldnt worry about crashing but it still hasnt happened yet, and i have crashed plenty. i've just learned to adapt my riding style to my neurosis. its working well for me.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
loco-gringo said:
So Julie has been a couple of times and really seemed to like it. Funny thing is, she later said, "I just don't feel right on my mountain bike". Is it night rides you think??? She won't ride off of big drops, but is getting to where she will ride off of something nearly a foot if the run out is not loose. If it is, she's out. Just wondering if you think she is just not wanting to ride a mountain bike. She seems to have fun, but I am not sure any more.
I went on my first real night last night, and I can understand what she is saying. It's a different experience for sure. I rode a more careful even though I know the trail very well, maybe it had something to do with how wet and muddy the trail was also. I think I need to go on a few more before I feel comfortable enough to enjoy it.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
My second mtn. bike ride ever was a night ride, and my light burned out so I had to follow my pardner really close. I guess it's all about what you're riding for. Perhaps I didn't even know to be scared yet. I was too busy listening to the night... loved it!!!!

J

JRB

I think Julie is ready to start trying the night ride thing again. We rode yesterday and she tried so much new stuff and did really well. She is far better than she thinks, and she finally may have started realizing it yesterday. She had a huge grin for most of the ride. When she got frustrated, I said to dig in. I pointed out that I had pics of her having a great time. I will be sending her along to you ladies with such great attitudes for encouragement soon.

She wanted to go tonight, but we have other plans, unfortunately.