Quantcast

Night Rides: Where are your lights mounted?

Where's your light typically mounted?

• Total voters

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I say get the flamethrower for the lid and the dual beam for the bars. When climbing run jest the dual beam on the lower setting and then run both on the high setting when your coming down.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wumpus said:
HID -- on my helmet (backup halogen on the bars)

or

Halogens -- one on the helmet and one on the bar
Yeah if you can have only one light, put it on your helmet. When I am doing a short ride I will go with just one on the helmet, but for longer rides I'll put one on the bars too. Sometimes having two is good on really technical stuff, plus you can save the primary light and use your backup to fix flats, etc.

J

JRB

I'd ride with one on the bars, but the halogen is washed out by the HID on the helmet so I don't. Maybe someday I'll get a bar mounted HID too.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Helmet only. Can't go fast with a single bar mounted light (dualies spread out are OK). You're always out running the light and your eyes follow it off the trail when you turn?? I find it annoying to nightride with folks with bar mounted lights.

By the way nobody needs their HID/LED system on high if your not up front on a group ride. I don't care how long your battery lasts :rolleyes: You can see everything all the while you're blinding everyone else. Just implanting that thought if it hasn't occured to you already.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Helmet light - follows where you are looking. Fog and snow shines right back into your eyes.

Bar light - casts shadows that aids in depth perception for riding over logs and rocks. Follows where your bike is pointed not necessarily where you want to go.

Helmet mounted HID - so freakin' bright you can't call it night riding anymore and you can't out run it.

Mike