Quantcast

Night time is Light time

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
I have never been much in to riding at night because where I was living the last 15 years if it was too dark to ride, it was probably too cold and snowy also. Well for me anyway.:o:

However moving to a more temperate climate that is actually in a more northerly latitude got me involved with looking at them and asking some advice from others that have been in to it all along as I can ride here at night quite comfortably.

One thing for sure is that there is a pretty good selection of bike specific product out there and for the most part the goods are not too cheap, and then you really need two lights, one for the bike and one for your helmet, to make it work the best and also as a safety factor in case one goes out on a ride.

On the local forum here there was an enterprising university student, read smart and frugal, who came up with these: http://www.fox-intl.com/searchresult.asp?id=3034 and I have to tell you they work pretty darn well, as well as you need anyway for the most part. A set of two and a AA rechargable kit from Costco etc. will cost you about a c note total and you may be in for the night of your life perhaps? (You can expect a sub 4 hr. burn time but if you need more just bring another set of batteries or stop by any store and buy some!)

Mount to bars with two hose clamps opposing and anything from velcro strips to zip ties to duct tape will work for helmet mounting.