Quantcast

Nike and Apple Team up for IPOD running shoes

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12938942/

The two companies announced Tuesday they are jointly developing a wireless system so some Nike shoes embedded with a sensor can communicate with Apple's iPod Nano music player to track a runner's performance and help choreograph songs to the moment.
Now without getting the whole IPOD / APPLE / PC dogfight, this is a cool idea. I don't know how functional it is but, I'm going to take a guess that someone is going to make a gigantic pot of money from it.

And I wonder if something similar for cycling is on the way...... the mention of Lance leads me to believe that it is.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I saw this on the local news (living just a few miles down the road from the Nike World Campus). It's bad ass is you are a tech geek who runs. They showed people with a Nano tucked into a sock with data collection. It was sweet.

Of course it was followed by the BlueTooth attack story. But I guess if someone wants to try and hijack your session while running behind you, that might help you to run faster. :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
jimmydean said:
I saw this on the local news (living just a few miles down the road from the Nike World Campus). It's bad ass is you are a tech geek who runs. They showed people with a Nano tucked into a sock with data collection. It was sweet.

Of course it was followed by the BlueTooth attack story. But I guess if someone wants to try and hijack your session while running behind you, that might help you to run faster. :D
Bluetooth attack?

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
All this jacking off is making me hot...

Cool idea though, combine that with your cel phone, two way radio, and GPS and we'll really be in the world of big brother...

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Stupid. If people spent as much time planning their exercise programs as they did planning what gadget they are going to buy next, we wouldn't be a country full of fat asses.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
DRB said:
Well by definition I'm a jackass BUT no I didn't know that it could be jacked.

For some reason websense is sensitive to that link.
Just google bluetooth attack. That was the first link that came up. I did a research project on bluetooth a few years ago and it's a great technology. The problem is it's a broadcast type system, so a "man in the middle" style attack is possible against people who don't lock down stuff.

And I agree with BeerDemon. Just turn on some tunes (or don't) and go for a run. I think for about .01% of people who either own an iPod or are dedicated runners, this might be helpful.