Quantcast

Nikon D3

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Aside from maybe the F100, this is (imho) the best buy in a used Nikon right now.

Case in point - the D3 I scored of Craig's List last night for $2k.

7598 actuations. Not a mark on it.

I was on the fence about the new D600 but I don't really shoot video and could care less about 24mp files. The D600 with a grip would have been about $2400, so comparatively this was a no-brainer.

And holllllyyyyy sh1t this thing is fast.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
After just a day of handling the D3, I'm perplexed. How did I use the D7000 for so long without permanently cramping my hands?

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Nice. I'd love to have one.

I've been thinking that the time to upgrade from the D200 might be approaching. I was thinking about the D300 or its successor if there ever is one so that I don't have to replace all my lenses. FX would be nice though. I miss those big bright viewfinders.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Nice. I'd love to have one.

I've been thinking that the time to upgrade from the D200 might be approaching. I was thinking about the D300 or its successor if there ever is one so that I don't have to replace all my lenses. FX would be nice though. I miss those big bright viewfinders.
Once the D400 (or whatever it will be called) hits the market the prices on used D300 and D300s bodies will plummet. If all you have is decent DX lenses then you'll be set.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
That's what I was thinking. I got a great deal on my D200 when the D300 came out. If I could get a D300s at a similar price, I'd be all over it.

But really, I only have two lenses, so it's not like it would be that difficult to replace them.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
After just a day of handling the D3, I'm perplexed. How did I use the D7000 for so long without permanently cramping my hands?
I would assume its pretty close to the D7000 + battery grip? If so I ask myself that all the time. Once you slap a real lens on there it gets pretty damn uncomfortable trying to keep it balanced.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Congrats on the D3, it is a great camera and a fantastic upgrade from the smaller bodies.

Try going from the D3 to the D4 though. I would never own a D3 again after just 2 months of owning a D4. It is sex in your hands.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Try going from the D3 to the D4 though. I would never own a D3 again after just 2 months of owning a D4. It is sex in your hands.
Yeah, $2k was my limit for domestic embezzlement on this one. $6k would have meant divorce papers.

:D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Only one thing I don't like:

"Easy ISO" control option is missing. It's on the D7000, and it rules. When in Aperture Priority, you can spin the back dial to adjust ISO on the fly. When in Shutter Priority, spin the front dial. No other button presses required. Kinda miss it on this.

That being my only complaint, otherwise it's fvcking DREAMY.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
nice grab.

serious gear.
I know. I'm still playing catch up with it. The thing can see in the dark like a barn owl. I was going for the D600, literally was about to place the order, and I was stumbling around on Craig's List and saw this.

"Well....older tech indestructible pro body, or newer body that I'd have to add a grip for hundreds $ more...hmm..."

Now I have the D3 for most everything and the D7k for video and maybe extra "reach". My wife can use the live view with D7k too, which is good because looking through a viewfinder gives her eye troubles.

did United ever cough up any $?
Nope. They offered me a travel voucher, which I explained to them would go unused. I've contacted some lawyers but not heard back much. I might need to take it to small claims court, which will be a PITA.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
well, best of luck getting at least something out of them. i can't see how they can shirk any responsibility.
Noted it earlier but it's *really* easy for them to shirk responsibility. They have in the "agreements" that they're not responsible for any electronics or photography that are in checked luggage. The good thing about it is that you file in small claims court where you live, and it'd be more expensive for them to send someone to refute it than to just pay the damn cost of the item that they stole...

But yeah, I'd fall over in a state of shock if they coughed up any money without being dragged to court.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Dude that is sweet.......7600 is just a baby, not even broken in yet...... Now we need to seem some images from that bad boy. Nikon pro bodies are things of beauty in their own right :drool:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Haven't had much time to shoot the last couple weeks. Mostly just messing with the Pocketwizards I just got, and some walking around stuff.

GG bridge from the east bay:

Out of the first few PW shots. Sun at back camera left, one umbrella'd SB-700 warmed with a CTO gel back camera right.

BTW - the Pocketwizard Flex and Mini are fvcking black magic. Clean, non FP sync at up to 1/800th with the D3 and an old SB-800 speedlight.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I dropped my D3 today. The 50mm f/1.4G was attached.

I went to pick it up off the dining room table and the strap caught on the corner of the table, yanking it out of my hand. It bounced off the edge of the table and landed on the carpeted floor.

!!!!

I was horrified. How can I be so clumsy??

My wife is gone till Friday. How am I gonna fix this ding in the table before then?