Quantcast

Nikon D700

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A fine "Canon-to-Nikon" first impression, but half of his complaints boiled down to simply not being used to the system.

E.g. two different complaints about the zoom, chalking it up to limitations of the LCD... The LCD is actually slightly higher resolution than most normal monitors. The difference is that you can zoom past 1:1 so it looks "blurry" though it's not.

Why would you add format to "my menu" when it has a dedicated button combo?

Etc.

Not that it matters that he's got some issues with the switch, just that a day with the manual or Google would tidy up a bunch of his complaints and let him use his system better. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've never used a Nikon body, but getting used to the front-mounted dial (under the shutter button) would take a while...i release the shutter w/ my middle finger, and use my index for the top dial now.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Why would you add format to "my menu" when it has a dedicated button combo?

Etc.
As do many of the most commonly used functions. I rarely have to open the menu in my D70s once the more static preferences are set. Quality, WB, ISO, shutter, aperture, format, focus mode, exposure comp, etc etc are al a simple button/wheel spin away.

Most of the complaints in that review would be the same for a person using a D40 for the first time coming from a Rebel XT. Not alot of that was really D700 specific.

As for the shutter button - he states that he's used to having his middle finger high on the grip and it makes it hard to spin the front wheel. Well... knock it off. Put your hand in a more natural position.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
i've never used a Nikon body, but getting used to the front-mounted dial (under the shutter button) would take a while...i release the shutter w/ my middle finger, and use my index for the top dial now.
See, this makes no sense to me. I've picked up a couple Canon bodies and the grip feel really weird when you have to move your finger that far up.

Canon users are weird.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
As do many of the most commonly used functions. I rarely have to open the menu in my D70s once the more static preferences are set. Quality, WB, ISO, shutter, aperture, format, focus mode, exposure comp, etc etc are al a simple button/wheel spin away.

Most of the complaints in that review would be the same for a person using a D40 for the first time coming from a Rebel XT. Not alot of that was really D700 specific.

As for the shutter button - he states that he's used to having his middle finger high on the grip and it makes it hard to spin the front wheel. Well... knock it off. Put your hand in a more natural position.
Yeees...Nikon bodies are so much more ergonomic than Canon bodies. Makes me the jealous. :(

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Notify me when available
i missed out on that microsoft/livesearch deal...25% off on ebay buy it now sales, and some people were also getting a 10% off paypal coupon on top of that...

i want to get a canon 35L f/1.4 but they are all out of stock.

good thing i shoot canon; nikon's got nothing like that lens ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You could get the 28mm f/1.4.

For, ya' know, like three grand because of the rabid eBay freaks who have driven the price up :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The local camera shop has a D700 in. Holy crap is that viewfinder awesome. I almost forgot how nice a lot of the higher end film viewfinders were.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, it's because the sensor and the mirror is much bigger, but you wouldn't increase the sensor size because you wanted a bigger viewfinder.

Guy had a bunch of prints to demonstrate various ISO settings, too - I'll tell you, that's a heck of a marketing tool. Nothing quite like showing an eminently usable 20"x30" print shot at ISO 25,000. Soft, yeah, but still...

You shooting anything but concerts these days? This needs a little more careful processing (I'm at work) but I occasionally hit a local park at sunrise. Not many keepers lately but it's pretty relaxing even if i come home with little.

Last edited:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
nice anhinga.

the only non-concert stuff i've shot in a while is mainly family stuff; some vacation stuff and some mellow hikes. i'm not one for setting the alarm to go out to shoot. but there's some good opportunities for sure.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Noted at recent pop festival in Belgium - most of the shooters were sporting Nikon. Very few Canons. Weird.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Did you hear the galloping of the 4 Horsemen in the distance?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Noted at recent pop festival in Belgium - most of the shooters were sporting Nikon. Very few Canons. Weird.
I think Nikon's had a larger presence in Europe for a while. I remember a couple of years ago seeing a lot of Nikons in the F1 Pit Lanes (Pre D3 era...where Canon did indeed have a huge advantage) compared to events in that happened in the US.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i only read the initial post, not the bickering.

there's a guy on POTN who is convinced (based on the prognostication track record of a dpreview poster) that canon's actually gonna deliver the 5D successor @ photokina this week...we'll see.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
As always, I'm rooting for something awesome. Gotta keep everyone on their toes :D

I've read about the pixel binning in the past and thought it was an interesting idea but I haven't read much on how much it actually improves performance vs. having a physically larger photosite.