Quantcast

Nikon....or Canon? Or...?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Since I am system-less now, I would like to hear from anyone who has switched between Nikon and Canon or other brands. Why the switch, any regrets, any happy stories, etc.

I am an open book.

I am currently looking at:

Replacing my D7000 or looking for a used D700 (plus maybe a Go-Pro or other vid cam for clips)
Switching to a Canon 7D or used/refurb 5D MkII
Fuji X100 for the time being or maybe an X-Pro1

My main criteria above all else: stills image quality, especially in low light. Video is secondary.

Thoughts?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
By the way, not to scare you but be *very* specific with the airlines that it was gate-checked and you feel that it was stolen. Apparently airlines don't have to reimburse you for electronics that are "missing" from your checked luggage (it's in the fine print on their tickets/policy). It specifically exempts electronics and other gear, as we found out when we had a $75 el-cheapo GPS stolen from my wife's bag. She flies ~60k/year on Delta, and they wouldn't reimburse the $75 until she really flipped out at them. Basically told them that telling their employees that the airline wouldn't reimburse people for electronics was flat-out a license to steal, and that if they didn't want her business she'd fly with someone else. Took several letters back and forth before they relented and coughed up the cash (it was more a matter of principle), but just as an FYI, it could get messy.

http://fstoppers.com/us-airways-stole-my-laptop-and-wont-replace-it

At the very least, it might become a fight between your insurance carrier and the airline....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Although this was one of the comments.... It's FVCKING brilliant:

When ever I travel domestically with my checked photography equipment I pack a gun inside. YES a gun, Ok its just a starter pistol, it's legal in all 50 states, you don't need a license nor training courses or to register it, and you can get them at any sporting goods store or online. I've done this now since 2007 with very little stress, You must declare that you have a gun, you go in a back room to show it's unloaded they lock it with your ken and hand the key back, they tag it, you fill out a form, lock it and done. I got a hard handgun case off of craigslist for $8 and a small key lock for $10, and spray painted it bright orange for a total of about $50. It is ALWAYS the last bag loaded and the first one off the plane, even transfers. Super cheap insurance while playing on the airlines paranoia because they track weapons in airports very closely. I learned this trick from a professional photographer with S.I. that had been doing it for years, It's puts mind my at a little ease.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It wasn't too long ago that anyone saying they needed low light capabilities would have been pointed immediately at Canon. Now that the gap has been closed, though, there's less and less to choose between the bodies in terms of features.

Ergonomics are very important and I've just never been happy with Canon in that respect, even before I was shooting with a Nikon - but that's an individual choice.

Lens selection is just something to evaluate and see if there are any make-or-break lenses in either camp. For me, there really wasn't; both brands offered what I needed/wanted, and Nikon had a slight edge with a couple of their consumer lenses that I was particularly interested in (specifically the 18-70 and 70-300, both really amazing for the price).

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand, but if the camera isn't comfortable and intuitive to hold and use, you might be unhappy. Full frame isn't really something I'm looking for so I don't have a lot of input on those particular bodies.

Emerett

Chimp
Dec 5, 2010
I've always prefer Nikons, I'm just a huge fan of the Nikkor lenses, they've always treated me well.