Quantcast

Niner JET9 Rocker Issue - they're breaking!

It is I

Chimp
Apr 24, 2008
I do most of my browsing over on MTBR and thought that this was something that should be made public to all fellow MTBers. Below is the official statement issued by Niner and then links to various threads discussing this.........

Niner Bikes said:
We have some bad news to report. We have seen 7 frames where the upper link has broken on the Jet 9. We have started some initial investigations into the cause.

We just got some of the failed links back and are sending them out for additional testing.

We feel it is our responsibility to inform you and to keep you posted about how we are going to rectify the situation.

We at this time do ask that you stop riding your Jet 9 and please have your local shop inspect the upper shock linkage for cracks. If you have a crack please contact us. If not we still must ask that you do not ride the bike further as there is always a potential for an injury due to a breakage.

Given our size we spend a huge amount of money on R&D testing. We use FEA analysis on our frames and parts, physical jig testing, and of course real world testing. Even with these safe guards in place things can still happen.

We hope you will be understanding and see that we are being open about this issue. We are riders just like you and know what a bummer it is to get something and not be able to use it. We are going to rectify the situation and get you back on the trails as fast and responsibly as we can. I’m sure this will be fodder for those “haters” but we will just have to take our lumps and move on.

Chris & Steve
Niner Bikes
Links ...............
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=420336
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=420245
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=420336
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=420338
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=410129

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
it sure seems like Niner Bikes is taking the proper course of action and I'm sure customer service on this issue will be good. But ouch - this one is going to hurt Niner a bit. Hopefully the resolution to the issue isn't overly costly to the Niner guys.

It is I

Chimp
Apr 24, 2008
Yes, I too think they're pursuing this as best they can. They seem to be a good company that stands behind their product, but as you say Ouch, it's going to hurt them, both financially and reputation wise me thinks. I think a complete re-design of the rockers will probably happen and better/more stringent QC.
it sure seems like Niner Bikes is taking the proper course of action and I'm sure customer service on this issue will be good. But ouch - this one is going to hurt Niner a bit. Hopefully the resolution to the issue isn't overly costly to the Niner guys.

PowersUSA

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Mass
The proper course of action...

Like what choice do they have?

Put their heads in the sand and wait for someone to get hurt?

They are obligated (to maintain their liability insurance) to let everyone know they screwed up. No kudos deserved. The proper course of action would be to manufacture replacement rockers sooner rather than later for riders that have already taken shipment of their JET's. And by this I mean simple (no swoopy curves etc) , thicker (yes heavier) rockers, CNC locally (no waiting on Taiwan) with a simple anodize finish to hold over current JET riders until the improved factory rockers can be delivered. These could be ugly utilitarian parts, just get those riders back out on the trail. That would be Kudos worthy.

Ultimately I think they will find that the chrome finish, which they reportedly delayed the release of the JET for, was at least partly to blame. Pure Vanity.

I hope they have replacement in time for the Speed Goat Pink bike raffle drawing.

donkeyWC

Chimp
May 5, 2007
The proper course of action...

Like what choice do they have?

Put their heads in the sand and wait for someone to get hurt?

They are obligated (to maintain their liability insurance) to let everyone know they screwed up. No kudos deserved. The proper course of action would be to manufacture replacement rockers sooner rather than later for riders that have already taken shipment of their JET's. And by this I mean simple (no swoopy curves etc) , thicker (yes heavier) rockers, CNC locally (no waiting on Taiwan) with a simple anodize finish to hold over current JET riders until the improved factory rockers can be delivered. These could be ugly utilitarian parts, just get those riders back out on the trail. That would be Kudos worthy.

Ultimately I think they will find that the chrome finish, which they reportedly delayed the release of the JET for, was at least partly to blame. Pure Vanity.

I hope they have replacement in time for the Speed Goat Pink bike raffle drawing.
you echo my sentiments.

ByStickel

Chimp
Nov 8, 2007
WNC (via nj,ca,tx,in,&va)
Not to pile on, but it's a flawed design to begin with.

The curves in the forward part of the rocker allow that portion to bend. Straight lines or a web filling the negative space would likely solve the problem. Rockers are typically straight-sided truss structures and that's why you see so few issues with them.

Niner got a little too design-ey on their rocker. I'm sure they'll respond quickly and come up with a solution.