Quantcast

Nipples (hehehehe....)

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
But seriously, folks...

For tubeless rims, do I need special nipples, or should I just use standard 12mm nipples?

huh huh huh... I said nipple... :rolleyes:

(.)(.)

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
hehehe nipples :D

But yes, if you dont want your brain to melt down trying to fish out regular nipples get the 16s, and remember when using the DT spoke calculator read what the asterix says, i believe you take the spoke lenght they give you in the calculation and subtract 3mm to get the proper lenght because you are runnin the 16mm nipples

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ViolentVolante

But yes, if you dont want your brain to melt down trying to fish out regular nipples get the 16s, and remember when using the DT spoke calculator read what the asterix says, i believe you take the spoke lenght they give you in the calculation and subtract 3mm to get the proper lenght because you are runnin the 16mm nipples
:confused: really? That shouldn't make a difference if you have the correct ERD, and 99.9% of the calculators do not. I've always pull mine off the spoke calc and go with it. Plus I stay away from DT's calc, it sucks.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I would use the long nipples for sure, it'll make your life a lot easier. Did you get a DH bike Ben, or are you just building new wheels for the Planet X?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by Li'l Dave
I would use the long nipples for sure, it'll make your life a lot easier. Did you get a DH bike Ben, or are you just building new wheels for the Planet X?
Slowly accumulating parts for the ultimate dh bike.... :devil:

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ

I've built 6sets of these on different hubs going by Bikealog or DT spoke calc. says, you run a higher risk of breaking nipples if you shorten the spokes.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ssaddict
I've built 6sets of these on different hubs going by Bikealog or DT spoke calc. says, you run a higher risk of breaking nipples if you shorten the spokes.
He doesn't know what he's talking about, he rides a Disco;)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by ssaddict
so your saying you can use the same length spokes even if you use longer nipples?:confused:

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by zedro
so your saying you can use the same length spokes even if you use longer nipples?:confused:
Yes because in both long and short nipples the threaded section is the same length. The extra length in long nipples is unthreaded.
Perhaps DT nipples are different to the ones I have used and have longer threads in their long nipples allowing you to use shorter spokes. I only know this from building wheels with a mix of nipple lengths.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, that's what I've used. Two wheels I built with 12mm nipples because I couldn't find the 16's, but I used the recommended length spokes for all of them. I would just be afraid of a 16mm nipple breaking in half if you didn't have enough of the spoke threaded in. If you had a wheel with extreme dish this could easily happen.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by Li'l Dave
Any thoughts on a frame yet? (Get an Orange:D )
Sorry Dave, no Orange. Probably a Gemini DH, cuz I'm gonna be working at a shop this summer that sells Cannondale. I definitely am a fan of the single pivot, though.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
read what the asterix says, i believe you take the spoke lenght they give you in the calculation and subtract 3mm to get the proper lenght because you are runnin the 16mm nipples

This is really ****ed up. I was just about to dispute this but decided to do a little checking first. To start off QBP's catalog states that the DT 12mm or 16mm nipples do not affect spoke length.

WELL, I just got out my spoke ruler and threaded a 12mm and 16 mm onto the same spoke and the 16mm nipple gives a 3mm longer spoke length. ****!!!!!!

This has got me thinking about the EX823 issues that some people have been having. I calculated my spoke lengths with SpokeCalc. I wound used 16mm DT nips and didn't factor in the extra length under the impression there was no extra length.

Anyways I used WS spoke prep and tensioned up my wheels to 110 Kgf on the front disc side and rear drive side and adjusted the other sides accordingly. I rode my bike on exactly TWO easy trail rides and checked the tension and it was down to about 60-65 Kgf. I also noticed that the Loctited inserts took about 1/8th of a turn more even though they were tight when I built the wheels.

Any ways, I am thinking that people are having problems because the wheels are loosing tension. Now why they are loosing tension I am not sure. I am thinking because the spoke lengths are wrong do to the 16 mm nipples but I am not sure.

This is FUKCED UP!!!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Salami

Any ways, I am thinking that people are having problems because the wheels are loosing tension. Now why they are loosing tension I am not sure. I am thinking because the spoke lengths are wrong do to the 16 mm nipples but I am not sure.

This is FUKCED UP!!!
but if your initial tension was ok, what would it matter? theoretically it was built correct, no?

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
And you know what else is ****ed up? If 16mm nipples change spoke length why isn't it on DT's website? The specs tell you all kinds of **** but nothing about affecting spoke length. And their spoke calulator sucks. They list the ERD of the D3.1 as 538mm and more than one source (including Mavic) give it as 532mm. If you go by DT's calc the spokes for my wheels wound up being something like 4mm longer.

****ing tubeless piece of ****s. You can't even see how far the spoke is threaded into the nipple. No wonder people are having problems with these things.

I am going to bed before I blow a gasket:angry:

If I have made any mistakes here please correct me.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
but if your initial tension was ok, what would it matter? theoretically it was built correct, no?
It doesn't make sense to me. If the I was able to tension the wheels the spokes shouldn't be too long, correct? But why the hell did the wheels loose tension so easily? I know they loosen a bit, but previous wheels I built didn't loose this much tension and I used oil on the nipples instead of spoke prep :confused:

Does WS spoke prep suck ass? Maybe I didn't use enough? Did I not tension the wheels enough intially?

Seems like an excessive amount of tension lost considering how easy the wheels were used. I could see if I had continued to ride them I probably would have pulled an Arcadian on them :p

I am confused as ****. Either I am missing something important here or I am a dumbass. Maybe both.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Originally posted by Transcend

spokes stretch
How much? I would expect a little, but not this much.

****, if everyones spokes stretched as much as mine did everybody would be going through wheels left and right (seems like it with the 823's:p).

Why did the nipple grommets seem a bit loose even though a used a bunch of blue Loctite and had them pretty damn tight?

This is how I feel :angry: :confused: :dead: :dead:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ya but not enough to loose half the tension...i've never had a wheel thats done that overnight.
Yeah, but it can creap up on you out of nowhere. Especially if you take the wheel out and abuse it really well, throw it out of true just a little, then you get some spokes that lose their tension because the wheel has a slightly new "shape" to it, and then you get a cascading effect if you don't take up that "slack" and retension/true it. Just over time they'll loosen up, it is just something to check every once and a while (my WTB lazerdiscs actually had a little sticker that said this on it). If you do it properly you shouldn't have a problem with the spokes loosening, but despite the odds it happens every once and a while for one reason or another, and 1 out of 64 is enough to cause a serious problem and lead to a cascading effect.

But we all know that snow-flake pattern would be totally superiour...