Quantcast

Nissan Xterra?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Maybe you can help me out here Stosh......

I'm looking at used cars, and I really want somthing that will hold up, shuttle well, doesnt get HORRIBLE gas mileage, and won't break the bank.

I've been looking at a lot of stuff, but I just can't get away from the Xterra. It seems to fit into all of my catagories. As far as I know and have heard, Nissans hold up really well, and if treated right, last forever. (My dad had a Maxima with...... a lot of miles on it, dont remember the number) I know that the Xterra gets a bit less gas mileage than a normal car, but its probably right around what my 91 Volvo 240 wagon gets. (its had a hard life, far from the 24ish MPG its supposed to get)

So here are my questions...
I'm looking at a 4x4 with a manual transmission. Probably the XE V6, 2000 or later, under 50k miles.
How do they do offroad? How do they hold up? If treated right, how long do they last? What is the ACTUAL gas mileage (they claim 18)

If anyone that owns one, or has owned one could chime in, and point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm still doing research, and want to collect as much as possible.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I'd rather get whatever 4Runner you can fit into your budget. I think Toyota's quality is better than Nissan's although Nissan is good. Even if you get a runner with 25K more it will be just as good or better as long as it has been taken care of.

Xterra's can be made to do well off-road but they are not as good as a 4Runner stock. Plus the ride on-road will be more harsh because the Xterra uses torsion bars up front and leaf springs out back as opposed to the 4Runner using coil-overs up front and a linked, coil sprung rear live axle. I'd look for a 1996-1999 4Runner with anywhere from 50-100K. I bought mine with 115K and now at 160K and after trips to Baja, Co, BC, Utah etc it still purs like a kitten. Mileage is about 13 but that's with an auto trans, 4" lift, tires, gears, bike racks and oh yeah a TRD supercharger. I'd say 18-20 is realistic for a stock 4x4 5-speed with the 3.4L V6.

J

JRB

My xterra gets around 16-18 driving around. I pull a camper sometimes and get 14 mpg or so. I like the xterra. I just have a 2wd and it does well for everything around here. I thought I would get Wumpus and I stuck last year when we helped at the Norba marathon, but the limited slip pulled us right through. 4runners are very nice, but I don't think they are worth a huge deal more than an xterra. The xterra has the same chassis as the frontiers. It really is a truck with a box on the back. I'm glad I got one.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
I suggest Toyota truck as well. My Tacoma is pretty kick ass, cheap brand new,gets great milage and doms on the road. I bought it brand new (03), super base model (I4, 5spd, tape player, 2WD) for just $10,500 out the door. TACOMA!!!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
don't get an xterra. if you want a nissan get a pathfinder. (i have one, and it has served me well.) the xterra is built off the last-generation frontier chassis, which is not so good. it's also small inside, much smaller than the similarly-sized and -powered pathfinder. finally it drives much rougher and more "truck like" than a pathfinder or 4 runner or the like, again because of its body on frame frontier origins.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
can't go 4-wheelin' in a 4x4 Tacoma? my truck (99 SR5 V6 4x4 auto [shut up] with 88,000mi and no power options) has a resale value of around $13k. i don't know the mpg i get, somewhere around 16 or 17. i'd think a truck would make a better shuttle vehicle than a mid-sized SUV.

punkassean, what do you think of the TRD Supercharger? did you get it installed? did it increase gas mileage like it's claimed, or what?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I loved my xterra for the utility aspct and that's it. I was spending $200+ a month on gas and O2 sensors going bad left and right, cracked a leaf spring in half to name a few. For some reason I still miss it :( If i could find one I'd go with the 4 runner. It is that much better than the Xterra for offroad, fit and finish and resale value(in case your needs change). If you can find a good deal on the xterra go for it, but since I'm not sure what you $$$$ situation is it's hard for me to say what will be better for your money.

Just go buy a new 05 toyota tacoma they are fuking amazing(and motor trends truck of the year)

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
the Inbred said:
punkassean, what do you think of the TRD Supercharger? did you get it installed? did it increase gas mileage like it's claimed, or what?
The supercharger will not increase gas milage(I'll double check with my parts guys), also you usually need to use high test gas in a SC vehicle.

Sep 18, 2004
virginia.......
Tacoma is a solid truck and their TRD package is amazing. I dunno what kind of 4 wheelin you want do do...but the tacoma or tundra will get you out of most situations and be durable for years to come. It would also be a good shuttle veachle if your looking at an extended cab. My uncle had a toyota tacoma and it lasted for 400,000 miles.........yes it might be a record (he drove it into the ground).....he put maintenance into it, but normal stuff, nothing serious. He says it is the best truck he has every driven and he will never good back to anything else.

Just a thought

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Brian HCM#1 said:
For almost all daily driving, I'd rather have the auto, shifting in traffic sucks!!!!!
exactly.

LexxD, isn't one of Toyota's selling points behind the TRD Supercharger the idea that it increases gas? i already use 93 octane in order to keep my engine clean. i always thought that was a crock till my truck started running like ass. switched to high octane with some additive once a month, and now it's oh-so-nice.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
18 miles per gallon!!!!!!!!thats insane.my v-8 fourweeldrive f-150 got gas mileage like that!!!!!!!

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
I'll second the 4runner over Xterra too. My friend had an Xterra and he seemed to have tons of problems with it. lexx my buddy cracked a leaf spring too (but he never did like to slow down for curbs) :dead: not like I do either. Right now I like my Discovery alot, minus the 14mpg situation. I usually only get about 275 miles to a 20gal tank of premium :dead: But the thing is fun to drive and pretty tough. Its got 34,000 on it and the only problem its ever had was a mass ariflow sensor died at 31,000. I dont slow down for curbs or speed bumps, and drive it like a racecar rather than a truck and it just keeps on giving. Best part is when you get people in it that have been riding arorund in fully independant suspension cars they think your springs are shot, long live dual solid axles :)

Ive got a 3in lift kit sitting in my closet, a steel bumper in the garage and in 4,000 or so when my tires are too worn, the BFG mud tires go on :D cant wait for 10mpg :blah:

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
the Inbred said:
isn't one of Toyota's selling points behind the TRD Supercharger the idea that it increases gas? i
Primarily it's for more power. It forces more air through the engine but that also means it needs more gas to keep the air/furl ratio up to snuff.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
manziman said:
you shot yourself in the foot by buying that truck! 8 cylinders, 4wd And a Ford...
no way man i never had a single problem with that truck. not a single leak, didnt burn any oil was great in the dirt and was a manual v-8. i would take that truck over any japanese made truck in its range. Apparently the mileage is comparable to that of a smaller v-6 japanese vehicle as well. I did replace the alternator now that i think about it but that was at 140,000 miles.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
biggins said:
18 miles per gallon!!!!!!!!thats insane.my v-8 fourweeldrive f-150 got gas mileage like that!!!!!!!
what i was saying was that 18 miles per gallon for a v-6 especially a japanese v-6 sounds pretty friggin piss poor.

snutty

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
Oakland in da house
the Inbred said:
can't go 4-wheelin' in a 4x4 Tacoma? my truck (99 SR5 V6 4x4 auto [shut up] with 88,000mi and no power options) has a resale value of around $13k. i don't know the mpg i get, somewhere around 16 or 17. i'd think a truck would make a better shuttle vehicle than a mid-sized SUV.

the trd supercharger does not increase gas milage, when u get the TRD s/c you also need fuel mods to make it run or kiss your endgine goodbye

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i have a hard time believing an 4x4 V8 gets 18mpg. and i don't know if you can call a Tacoma a "japanese" vehicle anymore.

but yeah, Fords have a good rep in my family.

snutty

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
Oakland in da house
the Inbred said:
i have a hard time believing an 4x4 V8 gets 18mpg. and i don't know if you can call a Tacoma a "japanese" vehicle anymore.

but yeah, Fords have a good rep in my family.
majorty of tacomas are built in CA ,in fremont :thumb:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dude on the highway that thing got 18. it was a manual and i didnt really use the ac much. I think the aerodynamics were improved by the cab high cap that i had on it. Kept the wind drag out of the bed area. But yeah id say 18 miles on the hoighway

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I thought i was in love with the xterra but after my friend got one i'm not such a fan. It's small inside, has little cargo space, he gets real crap mileage, and it just drives like crap imo. I'd look at something different as others suggested.

PS. your volvo rules you should just offroad in that :p

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
XTerra = Garbage.

Anyone who says anything different just got duped into buying one and is trying to justify it to themselves.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
I’m on my second Toyota Tacoma I sold the Y2K model with all the whistles and bells TRD etc…etc…not because it was a bad truck but because I wanted the 4 door 2003 model Tacoma TRD truck.

The first one I got 70,000 miles outa it besides oil changes and gas it was a solid truck got a set a brakes at 40k and new tires at 50k and the battery crapped out at 65k. I got 18k on my current one and it runs like a champ.

willpowa

Chimp
Sep 6, 2004
What's all this talk about trucks and SUVs? Do yourself a favor and grab up a late model Eurovan (with the VR6)...remove the backseat with ease, get a pimp DH bike trailer hitch rack, and shuttle at least 7 bikes in true style!
All talk aside, I'd second the popular opinion on this thread and say stay away from Nissan in favor of Toyota (or Fode like Biggins likes).
You gotta admit, the space shuttle is fly, though! :thumb:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
willpowa said:
All talk aside, I'd second the popular opinion on this thread and say stay away from Nissan in favor of Toyota
hey, the pathfinder is nice :dead: . stay away from the XTerra, not from Nissan eh

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Hello Kitty said:
I’m on my second Toyota Tacoma I sold the Y2K model with all the whistles and bells TRD etc…etc…not because it was a bad truck but because I wanted the 4 door 2003 model Tacoma TRD truck.

The first one I got 70,000 miles outa it besides oil changes and gas it was a solid truck got a set a brakes at 40k and new tires at 50k and the battery crapped out at 65k. I got 18k on my current one and it runs like a champ.
wish i would've done that. i'd like to have more room in the cab of my X-tra cab. i had quite a few issues with my Tacoma when i first got it (it was in for warranty repairs 3 or 4 different times within the first 18 months [multiple day repairs, i mean]), but now that everything is worked out, i'm enjoying it more.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Wow, A lot of hostility toward the Xterra....

Thank for all the info and opinions, yeah, I do LOVE the Pathfinders, but they are a bit more expensive..... I'll check into 4Runners and Tacomas. Thats what this "finding a car" thing is all about. Research, opinions, test driving :D (I'll be doing a lot of that over this break)

Thanks again everyone, dont konw why I trust a bunch of people on the internet's opinions, but I do!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
You should as the question over on CCVA. There are a lot of Xterra owners there including Mark (Jordan's dad, VAMTBKR) who has beat his up pretty bad and it keeps going.

Mike

J

JRB

One thing to consider is that the peeps bashing xterras don't or haven't owned them. I like mine for what I do. Someone said they miss theirs and then a bunch of toyota peeps said that they suck. I don't feel duped for having one. It's hands down, better than the Chevrolet K2500 4x4 that I traded and this in only 2wd. Buy what you can afford. I like 4 runners, but don't think they are worth all that money.

Oh and Inbred, I got 16.5 mpg in my Chevrolet running regular gas. It was a 5 spd 3/4 ton, so Ben likely gets 18 on the highway. I just wish that truck wasn't a piece. It looked nice and got decent gas mileage. Sucked it was only a single cab too though. Buy what fits your need bigmike. There are lots of people happy and unhappy with every kind of car out there.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The xterra doesn't get great gas mileage. The 2005's look sick though and they've made some improvements to them as well. If you are still considering one PM me and we can talk.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
loco said:
Oh and Inbred, I got 16.5 mpg in my Chevrolet running regular gas. It was a 5 spd 3/4 ton, so Ben likely gets 18 on the highway. I just wish that truck wasn't a piece. It looked nice and got decent gas mileage. Sucked it was only a single cab too though. Buy what fits your need bigmike. There are lots of people happy and unhappy with every kind of car out there.
yeah, when i think gas mileage, i don't think in terms of hwy mileage, 'cause it seems most people are in the city doing the majority of their driving.

just remembered that i saw one of the new Tacomas at Trudy's the other night. holy crap it looked badass. much better in person than in the ads on TV.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
just remembered that i saw one of the new Tacomas at Trudy's the other night. holy crap it looked badass.
Yummm - Trudy's - haven't been in a while.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
loco said:
One thing to consider is that the peeps bashing xterras don't or haven't owned them. I like mine for what I do. Someone said they miss theirs and then a bunch of toyota peeps said that they suck.
I’ve known quite a few folks that have owned the Nissans and they have had nothing but problems with them I’m not saying that ALL Nissans are that way but from the ones that I’ve heard and been in when the AC goes out in mid-summer i know this I’ll never own one.

Yes the Toyotas are more expensive however they hold their value too. What sold me on the Toyota was the fit an finish of the vehicle the Nissans look cheap and plastic now this is my own personal opinion but I suggest you go to some website like consumer review and http://www.carreview.com to get some other opinions.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
loco said:
Yummm - Trudy's - haven't been in a while.
well, that night mandi and i went, the wait was an hour to an hour and a half. it was like 8:30, so we headed to Chili's, and got a table right away. Chili's had zero, nothing, zilch, nada meals on their menu that were vegitarian (yeah, they had a salad). now, i'm no businessman or anything, but it seems to me, if you're running a restaurant, in Austin of all places, you need vegetarian items on your menu. we went there for my birthday, so Mandi ended up eating a cheese quesadilla. 2 tortillas with cheese. for $7. wow, what a bargin. :nope:

and, that particular Chili's entire staff is made up of high school girls.