Quantcast

Nissan Xterra?

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
loco said:
Well - I will say that the 3/4 ton powerstroke I had got the best mileage. I don't need a dually, but would like to have another one. They are pretty reliable, even for a Ford. I have bashed those much harder than I would a toyota or nissan. That said, people in Houston buying them is the reason I can't afford one. King Ranch sming ranch, I wonder if they even have any of those. I didn't know many ranchers driving stuff like that. Financed farmers, yes. Ranchers, no.
You're right on all counts there. With both our vehicles paid off and in the 90,000-mile range, another purchase is tempting. However, the money our neighbors are willling to plop down on unnecessary metal is keeping us out of the "bigger and better" game.

To their credit, a lot of the Ford SDs in my 'hood are driven by contractors, or guys who pull boats or hunting trailers. King Ranch, however, is a colossal-scale male version of a Coach bag. The one contractor I know who drives a King Ranch F250 only takes it onto gravel lots. But he has the dough and he has to show everyone in the 'biz that he is on top.

The only ranchers I know are so old they shouldn't be driving, but they do. . . old 1/2-ton 2wd pickups.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
SkaredShtles said:
My guess would be Texas.

I think that Texans would want that.......

-S.S.-
My guess is that coachbuilders who want to sell to high-end limo services would want that (and get it). . . I think the rental biz is feeding that industry. I'm sure there are a few folks that actually want to own stretch SUVs, but I think the point, either way, is to have a moving stage where you sip Cristal and Hipnotq and make a spectacle of yourself. Any Texans who want that are certainly not alone in that proclivity.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
on my street (in Fredericksburg, not Austin), the inventory is comprised mainly of family sedans, or 2wd trucks. my neighbor drives a double cab 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4, but that's his work truck. does highway construction, or something. he's only home on the weekends. we have our fair share of F350 King Ranches, or Platinum Editions, 4x4 suburbans, but if you see them in town, they're generally at Ace, Parkers, pulling a trailor to the stock yard, or headed to a jobsite. typically on the verge of being brown, regardless of paint color, due to the dirt.

i guess in Fredericksburg, more people who drive the badass trucks actually use them for work, rather than family transporters.

i can think of one that is only used to pull a boat on occasion. it's a blue/green Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4 ext. cab, short-bed with a Ranch Hand replacement front bumber/grill guard, replace rear bumber, and tool box (all have been sprayed with that Rhino Liner), and some 32" Goodyear AT/Ss. it is soooooo sweet. the guy who drives it is handicapped, though, and i don't really understand why he wanted a truck like that. he was in a boating accident that took his wife about 12 or 13yrs ago. tried to save her from getting caught in the propeller of a boat, and got caught himself. since then, he's put on a good amount of weight, and has mobility problems.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
that 350 is nice, but I take even more pride in killing the environment with my Chevy. 2500HD with an 8.1l Vortec V8 with the non-towing gearing. I'll go through 1 tank of premium every 2-4 days :drool: :drool: :drool: and tires every few months. Thats probably why this thing stays tarped in a garage only to be taken out on nice warm weekends :thumb:

snutty

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
Oakland in da house
luken8r said:
why no love for jeeps? my GC gets 22mpg on teh highway and about 17 in boston. it shuttles my bikes, camping crap, dog, people, etc wherever we go. and good luck taking your xturd on some of the trails my ZJ goes down. both the 4.0 and 4.7 are rock solid and theres a huge aftermarket for engine parts and any number of lifts from 1" to 7"+ if youre into that sort of thing. you can probably get a 02-03 for around 15k and an 04 for under 20k.

dont break ur dana 30 axel
:D

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Yeah...thats the weakness of many SUV's...weak Axles...I'm looking for either an old CJ5 with a Dana 44 conversion or one of the CJ7's that came with the Dana 44.

They do make a conversion for the old CJ5's and for the CJ7's with the AMC axle that is basically just the axle shaft itself that slides in, in place of the old one.

Tom

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Tom, you can upgrade the axle shafts on any truck. Be it keeping the same diameter & spline count and just upgrading the axle shaft material to 4340 or some other material, or by broaching it to accept larger diameter/higher spline count axles that are also usually better material. last option of course is to swap in entire new axle assembly's, typically Dana 44's or 60's but also sometimes ford 9"'s etc.

FWIW, the new Tacoma has 30-spline axle shafts and 8" ring gears front and rear this = Burly!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Wow, Thanks for all the input! I'm definantly going to look into Toyotas and Jeeps, just the Xterra was one of the first things I thought of.

Personally, I have NO USE at all for a big frikkin truck. I dont see the point unless you are a contractor and have to haul 10 Mexicans in one truck plus tools and stuff :)

I also have to think about being able to parallel park in Richmond.......:think:

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
I also have to think about being able to parallel park in Richmond.......
The Xterra has the tightest turning radius of any vehicle I have ever owned. I can't tell you how many times I have turned that thing around in the woods when I have reached a dead end. Far better than my parents Jeeps (both parents own Cherokee's and my brother has a Grand Cherokee).

Tom

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Turning radius is mostly related to the wheelbase. A std cab tacoma and a 4Runner have the same wheelbase (~104") going to an extra cab or double cab takes you up to a ~122" which translates into a huge loss in steering radius. I can easily bust a U in most any street but my friends Tacoma's w/extra cab's have to make a 3-point.

Wheelbase length affects cars just like it does bikes so the longer wheelbase will be more comfortable at speed but in turn it's a PITA to parallel park...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
punkassean said:
Turning radius is mostly related to the wheelbase. A std cab tacoma and a 4Runner have the same wheelbase (~104") going to an extra cab or double cab takes you up to a ~122" which translates into a huge loss in steering radius. I can easily bust a U in most any street but my friends Tacoma's w/extra cab's have to make a 3-point.

Wheelbase length affects cars just like it does bikes so the longer wheelbase will be more comfortable at speed but in turn it's a PITA to parallel park...

Which is another reason I am looking at SUVs. A Truck would be aweome, and very useful, but as said, I want to do some 4 wheeling, need to parallel park, and also need to be able to take 4-5 people when my vehicle is not crammed with biking stuffs. :)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
you want to be the taxi? might as well wear a sign that says "hi everyone, i'm mike. i'm the DD." i forgot, not driving everyone around was such a nice added benefit after getting rid of my Jeep.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
the Inbred said:
you want to be the taxi? might as well wear a sign that says "hi everyone, i'm mike. i'm the DD." i forgot, not driving everyone around was such a nice added benefit after getting rid of my Jeep.
werd :rolleyes: so sick of being the one who drives by default since all of my friends have trucks.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
the Inbred said:
No, not the taxi.... versatile

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
BigMike said:
i like that one. seems to be a fair price, if the body is in good shape.

oh, 8 records on the carfax report. hmmmm.....

in other news, i might be kicking a dead horse here, and appologize if i am, but from my experience, a truck is more versatile than an SUV.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Tom Church said:
The Xterra also has a higher ground clearence than the GC does I belive. I can fit 32" tires with no lift and only a little bit of plastic trimming. And I run 31" tires with no mods.
the same holds true for the pathfinder (31" bfg m/t on mine). i don't get great gas mileage with the 31"s however: 17.5 mpg on the freeway coming home (oregon) from school (seattle) just now, but that's with a bristling roof rack and a heavy right foot. thank you, valentine 1 :heart:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
nope. less than 1% of my mileage. but i did buy an ORV permit for it, just in case ;) . off-roading competes for the same time as biking, so my only off trail excursion recently was driving around the (open :D heh) gate up at hood river.

on my 2003 summer road trip i did go to several locations only accessible by "high clearance 4wd vehicle", in the words of the park service: williams ranch in guadalupe mtns natl park, and into the moonscape of capitol reef natl park (and below). capitol reef was a 60 mile off road trek involving a stream crossing (sorry for the pic quality, that one was with my phone!)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
BigMike said:
apparantly, the 4 runner doesnt come in a standard
4Runner's were available with "standards" (silly east-coaster's :D ) from '96-'99 or 2000 after that you could only get one w/a 4-banger. Damn shame I tell ya! They are rare but you can find them.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Incidentally, that was a great bonus with my truck - I'd drive my own ass everywhere, and if I felt like taking one friend, I would. No, "Everyone pile into BV's car for the road trip! What's 'gas money'?"

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
BigMike said:
Which is another reason I am looking at SUVs. A Truck would be aweome, and very useful, but as said, I want to do some 4 wheeling, need to parallel park, and also need to be able to take 4-5 people when my vehicle is not crammed with biking stuffs. :)
For whats it worth i have, dozens of times, hauled 4-5 people, 4-5 DH bikes, and enough luggage and gear for a week trip, on 8-12 hour drives up into the mountains, without a problem in my truck. I have a 4X4 2003 Nissan Frontier, Crew cab, long bed. Even my 6'+ friends don't really mind riding in the back seat.
IMO i can haul the same number of people as an SUV and carry 5 times as much gear. The only major draw back, is my truck is pretty long, it is a pain in the ass to parallel park in the city but i still manage and i show no love for the bumpers when turning around in tight wooded 4x4 trails.

Seriously, take a good look at crew-cab trucks, (either the Tacoma or Frontier) just make sure you get the long bed version of either.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
oh yeah, i just remembered something.

recently, Toyota sent out a flyer, snowing off the new Tacomas. in the big picture, they show a red one muddin' in some thick mud.

well, 6 months after i got my Tacoma, some friends and i went to the ol' mud pit and tore **** up. first and only time i ever did that. 4 months later, i started having issues with light bulbs going out in my truck, rather rapidly. took it to Toyota, and they told me the cause of the faulty converter (which lead to lights prematurely going out) was because...............

i took my truck out in the mud. i thought the guy was joking. he wasn't.

within a month, that "manager" was no longer employed by Toyota. as a matter of fact, in the 5 years i've had truck, that particular dealership has gone through 4 managers.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
BigMike said:
I think I found my car........ I walked out on the deal today though. Hopefully the same price will be there tomorrow....................
sweet. an SE, eh? :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
This is an interesting thread. I have always been a Toyota fan. I drove a 91 4-runner into the ground putting over 200,000 miles on it. But I just don't like their newer stuff. I tried to like the new Tacoma, but it just looks weird to me.
Then, I saw the New 05 Nissan Frontier in person. Hands down, the best looking truck I have ever seen. And size wise it seems to be about perfect for what I was looking for. Basically, it looks like a mid size version of the Titan except with cleaner lines, and without that chrome piece on the front.
It has a wider stance than the Tacoma, and a V6 putting our 265 Hp/ 284 torque. That is more than a lot of V-8's.
It was love at first sight. :) Now I can't put down the brochure.
Looks like I might be eating Ramen noodles again. :nope:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
BigMike said:
I like that picture :)

Do you off road much?
time for a second pictorial answer since i took it out to the dunes yesterday :thumb: