Quantcast

nitro rc cars

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
is anyone on here into R/C cars, or are they just a nuisance? i, for one, think that the nitro powered ones look sweet! i'd love to get a monster truck to run in the sand pits around here. 40+ mph sounds awesome. i've only heard good things about the t-maxx, and the new revo looks sweet too.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I used to race Electric RC cars and trucks in HS.

Gas cars back in the day (I have no idea if they are better now) were a pain in the arse to keep going and the gas situation was messy. But there are a lot of Gas powered rigs in the hobby stores these days.

I am pretty much over it......but it is always better if you find a group of guys that are also doing it because being the only one with a rig sucks and it will get old quickly.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
I'm a electric RC kinda guy.

I got a E-maxx running trinity with full RPM chassis and suspension upgrades and trinity mild max motors and its pretty hot. Smokes off most stock gas powers near me. Easier to maintain too I find. Biteasier on drive train parts too.

Also got a mod clod, Thundertech Racing Ripper chassis magnetic mayhem motors, Novak super rooster ESC. not as fast but i use it for rock crawling.

I've had a few other nitro trucks and cars but the cleaning :rolleyes: too much to take. I'm a lazy one and I find I get more funtime on my electrics than I did on my nitros. Just gotta buy more batteries. Nitro just runs as long as you keep pourin in fuel.

The big reason I've gone electric is the real area need to run a gas power as flat stick I find is a pain to organise. With my clod I just go out to the back garden and go crawling and bashing round in it.

I have been tempted to try gas again though. The REVO or the HPI Savage look good. I prefer the look of the Savage tho.

The biggest problem is money bike or RC :p

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea i have a modded electric drag car. can't remember anything about it, will post pics if anyone cares.....
anyway reached a top speed of 62mph

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Seen a few drag cars round but then whole straight line thing gets a bit old I think. I prefer obstacles.

If you wanna see somthing awesome check out the bloodclod site, hes got a video of a Savage I think doing a backflip on an bmx track and sticking it, sweet.

Forgot to mention, seven cell packs on the emaxx, just that alone get you some awesome power.

Bang for buck and most time playing rather than fixing go emaxx, seven cell batteries and then look at aftermarket gear to strengthen the suspension ams and skid plates.

Now I just charge up six batteries and go play for an hour. Then put it away till next time.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
i have a duratrax evader st which is gas powered and its alot of fun...when it runs. the nitro motors can be a bitch to get tuned right. it was my first real rc car and i would recommend going electric since its easier to set up. i also have a tamiya tl01 which i use for on road and my friends and i throw pvc on our rims and go out drifting. rc cars are alot of fun.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I have a couple of Team Losi trucks, a XXT CR(electric) and an NXT (gas).

The gas one is a pain when it's not running. The newer models seem to be more reliable, but not as powerful, in it's respective size because of a lack of complexity with fewer needle valves, and the added rotational weight of a pull starter.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Contact Sir_Crackien, He's really into it. I bought one, poured a lot of money into it, and it still doesnt work. Shoulda paid the extra and gotten a T-Maxx.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I have a t-maxx... the old kind with/ a 1.5 (or was it 1.8) engine... It's cool, but too much work for me to keep running... *SPAM* Anyone wanna buy it? Good price -- real cheap *SPAM*... :D It's fun, it just took extra time that I didn't have avaliable.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Bldr_Freerider said:
I have a t-maxx... the old kind with/ a 1.5 (or was it 1.8) engine... It's cool, but too much work for me to keep running... *SPAM* Anyone wanna buy it? Good price -- real cheap *SPAM*... :D It's fun, it just took extra time that I didn't have avaliable.

I'll give you $20

:D

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
PFFFF!

All your guy's setups are slllooo.

I got a Nitro MT, with a .21 beootchh! Used to blow up diffs left and right everytime I ran it, but the motor's gone and RC's are boring now.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
anyone seen them dual engine kyosho giga force (i think)? that must be one fast truck. that and the CEN .46 truck. 5 fr!99!n horsepower from an rc engine! chit!!

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Bldr_Freerider said:
Same here. Offers?

splat

Nam I am
Yeah I used to Be into it too, ( still have all my cars ) Had both Gas and electric . and electric is so much easier to deal with. Nitro does have the advantage of More Power, and You can actually keep it dunning for a Long time When you need too.

My Favorite Truck had to be my Losi XXT-CR . I won many races with that Bad boy.

But My HPI - Nitro -RS4 with a .12rx and a 2 speed tranny , when it was tuned right it was a rocket , but it was tough getting that Motor tuned right.

I still have way tooo many RC's ( Planes , cars , boats and a Heli)

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
I bought a nitro rustler from my neighbor that was pretty banged up. I fixed it, cleaned it and now I am selling it. He also gave me a bunch of junk including another engine and stuff. I'm selling all of it because I need money. Its all on ebay.....and i'm gunna get over $100 for it! :D

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
yo, i got a tmax you can buy! its go a extended chasis with a upgraded .21 motor, i think the tranny needs so adjustment, but this thing flies. hows 500 sound? let me know if you want it.

BTW, the hrspwr ratings dont mean much cus they have minimull torque ;)

næstep

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
Years ago I had a beautiful 20" long Kyosho 4x4 dressed up as a Datsun desert racer. I took a bit of time to paint it up in Red and White Budweiser scheme, including all the decals.

Unfortunately, building it was more fun than running it. The .12 engine was underpowered, and the thing was a heavy slug compared to my buddy's electric Grasshopper.

Damn, that must have been almost 20 years ago!!! (feeling old)

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
.12?man thats the biggest you can race a stadium truck w/ most places. im thinkin of either buying a new one or fixing mine up and gettin a trinity picco.12 for it.not sure wichll be cheaper. i might actually buy the kit this time. how hard is the kit?

zaphod1

Monkey
Oct 7, 2004
great mills md
yea man i got a t-maxx its a blast the thing is a beast. but now i'm hurtin for bike parts and would sellit for 250. its got extra jeep body, it was broke in properly, exta shocks, battery charger, batteries, it also has metal skid plates, and extra air filtersanyone interested let me know i still have original instructions, box and some left over stickers

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I had a gas powered T-maxx. It had all the truck parts and everything, was fun to drive. The only downside was fixing it. It seemed like you were fixing it more than you were driving it.

My girlfriends brother opened up a hobby shop here in town and they are heavy into airplanes and cars. We have a dinky track that they race on and such.

They are fun toys, but for me it didn't last long as it was expensive and I wasn't getting much out of it. Now it'd be a different story because the community is into it more but still it's hard to drop $300, 400, 500 or 600 on a truck that will break.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
yeah, they are high maitnance... the noise is minimal. If any one tells you its too loud tell them its this or "vanilla Ice" blaring.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
they arent too loud and if any one complains just run it with out the exhaust manifold and muffler that will probably get the whole neighborhood complaining. but as they say the more the merrier!!!!

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I've got both eletric and gas. They both break. They both are expensive. What I like about electric is you have full power off the start. My gas car is two years old, and I have both my engines still. They both run fine, I've never had trouble with my motors. It's an HPI Super Nitro Rally. I've got the regular .15, and the .15SS. I have heard of many people having problems with other motors. Tuning can be a beeoch, but I've never experienced that with my HPI motors, but I've heard they aren't as powerful either. I've got a two speed in it and it's fast enough. I can't see being any faster. Also just like any hobby, your going to upgrade and upgrade so prepare to spend money. I got at least $800 into mine. Unfortunately I don't really have much time for them anymore.

Here's my buddy's Tmaxx getting some serious air.

Here's my SNR