Quantcast

No Awards (Mammoth US nationals)

mott7070

Chimp
Apr 20, 2005
Glendale, Ca
I just got off the phone with Dean Crandall our NORBA Western regional manager and he informs me that there will be no National championship awarded to any Sport of Beginner class. Instead those classes will be racing for a crappy jersey that I will promptly burn on the podium should I be so lucky to win it.

I am told that this was a decision made by the NORBA board of trustees and that no explanation was given. I realize that this happened last year as well.

The closest board members name is Tom Spiegel 909-866-4565

The president of the board is Lisa Nye 830-896-6864

The president of USA cycling: Gerard Bisceglia 719-866-4581

Anyone feel like making a few calls?

Maybe next year the expert winners won’t count either but what the hell, stars and stripes jerseys are cool right?

Mott

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
I disagree... There shouldnt be a national championship for 'sport class'. There are way too many classes within the NORBA ranks and to crown a 'sport' national champion is really weak.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
You have a point, but how hard is it for them to print a few more jerseys and make some medals for a dozen or so more classes and age groups. That's just laziness.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
it's super hard. i mean they have no money what with memberships costing 60-150 bucks and every race running people about 50 dollars to compete. i mean with those rock bottom numbers, there simply is no way to get another handful of jerseys. is there a sarcasm font or tag? i can see why they do it outside of the extra cost of jerseys and such though. for the trials stuff there are four "national" classes: expert, pro, junior, and womens. makes sense to me. if you are going to be pursuing competition to a national level you are probably at least an expert rider.... that's quite a generalization though.

i still havent heard if there will be trials at mammoth. well, i mean i have heard "yes" from one person and "definitely not" from another. it's always nice when you are dealing with an "organization" that is consistent and acts like they care in the least bit about you as a rider.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
From my understanding there will be awards, there just will not be a National championship jersey given out in sport and Beg. Which i do say i have to agree with. The expert one makes since since it's the highest none pro class.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
thespackler said:
I disagree... There shouldnt be a national championship for 'sport class'. There are way too many classes within the NORBA ranks and to crown a 'sport' national champion is really weak.
I agree there should only be three classes. Beginner, Expert, and Elite. and the racers who place at certainn levels should be forced to upgrade.

On the other hand if you wnet to all those races in Beginner, and or Sport with the goal of becoming the national champion and all of the sudden you find out it's not going to happen, because of an unanounced decision , I could see why you are pissed.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Tootrikky said:
I agree there should only be three classes. Beginner, Expert, and Elite. and the racers who place at certainn levels should be forced to upgrade.

On the other hand if you wnet to all those races in Beginner, and or Sport with the goal of becoming the national champion and all of the sudden you find out it's not going to happen, because of an unanounced decision , I could see why you are pissed.

Actually i read that somewhere on Norbas webpage way back at the end of the summer I don't think they gave out national championship jerseys last year did they? Anyway, who cares, you win you win...jersey or no jersey.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Beginners and sports don't deserve national champtionships, neither do experts (except jr's) for that matter. A national champion should be the best in the country. What prestige is their for being the "best" kinda ok rider?

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
SuspectDevice said:
Beginners and sports don't deserve national champtionships, neither do experts (except jr's) for that matter. A national champion should be the best in the country. What prestige is their for being the "best" kinda ok rider?

the jersey should say "I served the 05 Sport Class"

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
SuspectDevice said:
I agree...I'm a beginner/sport rider and don't feel snubbed by not having a "national champion". The way I see it, for this level of skill, treat it like any other race and have a normal podium with some decent prizes. Oh wait, this is NORBA where decent prizes is an unknown term.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
SuspectDevice said:
I think when you said "except jr's" you mean to say "except jr's, and every expert age category over 35." I do agree that it is a little silly to crown a sport or beginner national champion, since there are 3 - 4 levels of racers in the same age and gender category who are much faster than sportos living in the US. However, for a $60 license and budgeting $100 per national just for registration and lift passes, I can also see how it doesn't seem like we'd be asking too much for a jersey and a medal for some of the sport guys. Beginners . . . don't they get participation ribbons or something, like in machine-pitch? ;) Joking, joking. On the square, of course.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jeremy R said:
"I didn't know they made 9th place ribbons Greg?"

"Oh yeah, they go all the way up to ten!" :D
Yeah, I totally agree.

Do you need some justification that you where the faster sport or beginner on that day? Sad.

Race to challenge yourself. At the bottom of the hill you should know if you pinned it or not. All this beginner/sport/expert 19-24, 25-29, BS is stupid.

:rolleyes:

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
Big deal I race Sport and I dont think Nat Champs should start til your at the top of your game - Expert (Ex because old guys need a shot too and will never make Pro)

It's still a big deal at the award ceremony to get the "National Catagory Jersey" and medal for Beg/Spo....I was there last year, drunk and not on the podium.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Wow, whats the fuss over anyway? I'm a sport racer and I see no point to pursuing a Sport national championship. If you've done well enough in sport to make National champion, you are the definition of sandbagger: a glory-bent rider who has no interest in increasing the competition level.

SPUTNECK

Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Raleigh, NC
SuspectDevice said:
I agree with that there should not be a sport/beginner class national champion, but thats a bit harsh on the experts. The experts have to maintain the annual license, and are generally more commited. I've been at a lot of regional races that folks with expert skills don;t want to bother with an annual license and race in sport class...or guys that have great skills that race in beginner class. Its different in Expert Class, you have to apply for.....and be "approved" by NORBA to upgrade to Semi-Pro/Pro...so its more competitive and justifies a National Title.

If there were a more reliable way to eliminate sandbagging, then I would see the justification for "National Champs" as beginner/sport's.

Sput-