Quantcast

No Bike Rack at Walmart? No Shirt either, then.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
er yea yous guys must live in the sticks if they are letting you bring your bikes with you into stores. In the city it never happens. only in bike shops but then you have to risk your bike being made fun of by the mechanics.

er yea yous guys must live in the sticks if they are letting you bring your bikes with you into stores. In the city it never happens. only in bike shops but then you have to risk your bike being made fun of by the mechanics.
The last time a mechanic made fun of my bike, the bike attacked her, took a big gouge out of her leg and fractured her coccyx.

holy christ..... I figured you for dead.
Wake up, n00b, D_N has been back for a week.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Would you say pediatricians are against daycare? Kindergarten?
Those aren't supply stores. My vet told me a story about a pet breeder that had some serious health problems and traced it back to Petsmart. The breeder was not able to get access to distributor at that time and was buying all their supplies from a local Petsmart.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't know what took me so long to think of this story:

Fire eater's sad tale tugs at hearts
MISFORTUNE Sale of $1,800 bike for $15 strands performer in Scotland.

By S.J. Komarnitsky
Anchorage Daily News

A fire-eating chicken hypnotist from Palmer is making international headlines. In fact, Emily Harris may be the most famous chicken hypnotist in Britain right now, according to a spokesman for the BBC, that country's main news organization.

But it's not Harris' fowl act and her life in a traveling circus that is bringing her fame. Rather, it's her misfortune that put her in the public spotlight and earned her the sympathy of many Brits.

While she was trying on clothes at the British Heart Foundation's charity shop in Edinburgh, Scotland, last month, the staff mistook Harris' custom-made $1,800 bike for a donation and sold it for 10 pounds, about $15.

Harris, 25, nearly penniless, was distraught. The bike was her main mode of transportation and had great personal value since she built it herself. Shop employees told her they sold the bike to a middle-aged Asian man with short dark hair.

The media knew a good tale of woe and chicken mind control when they heard it.

And they liked what they saw in Harris, who sports a shoulder-length, Easter egg-pink hairdo.

Overnight, Harris made headlines. She was interviewed by the BBC on its main 6 p.m. newscast, and bulletins went out on nearly every radio and TV station about the missing bike. Harris pleaded for its return and said she was stranded until she could earn money to buy a new one.

A newspaper columnist took it upon himself to try to find Harris' missing wheels using "bike-noculars."

A spokesman for the BBC said audiences were enthralled by Harris' looks, her background as an Alaskan, and the fact that she eats fire and allegedly hypnotizes chickens to play the piano as part of her job in a traveling circus, he said.

But what really got Brits going was the tragic nature of the tale: a young girl stranded in Scotland by a horrible mistake.

"One thing people in Britain do like to talk about is their bad luck," he said. "Everybody was quite happy to think, 'Today, I've had some bad luck, but . . . maybe it wasn't such a bad day after all."'

So far, news of Harris' plight has been picked up in such far away places as Detroit and in China, where it appeared in the South China Morning Post under the headline "Bike-selling Scots strand Alaskan chicken hypnotist."

In Austin, Texas, a group of engineers who read about her plight raised $500 for her to buy a new bike, according to one report.

In some cases, the headlines in England sounded nearly lewd to Americans unused to British slang.

"Circus performer breathes fire as her 'way of life' bike is flogged for a tenner," read Britain's Guardian newspaper.

Harris could not be reached for an interview. Her father, Steve Harris, who lives in Palmer, said she is staying in a hostel in Edinburgh. He last talked to her about a week ago, he said.

"She's upset about her bike, but the people in Scotland have been really good to her," he said.

His daughter has always been a free spirit, he said. But he's not sure how she became a fire-eating chicken hypnotist and ended up with a traveling circus. She had no background in the trade, he said.

She left Alaska a couple of years ago for Denver and then ended up in New Orleans doing performance art, including walking on stilts in parades, he said. The next thing he knew she was in a circus.

Despite her current notoriety, Harris said he had some words of advice for his daughter.

"I told her it was her 15 minutes of fame," he said.
And, of course, Emily is a friend of mine.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The quicky mart down the street will only let me bring my bike in the store if I buy something and have pants on. Actually they might be kicking me out as they are screaming something at me as I ride into the store and skid to a stop in front of the beer cooler. But since I don't speak farsi I just pretend they are complimenting my skill for tracking standing in front of the automatic door while it opens so I can ride in. Either that or they are thanking me for wearing pants?? I'm really glad they have stopped chasing after me.....

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
Dude we both live in Toronto, but I get the impression you're in a whole different world.

FWIW, in Toronto I've never had a problem bringing my bike in...if I think it's going to be a problem, I just walk in really quickly and flip it over by the cash, and leave it there. There IS one bike shop in Toronto that doesn't allow you to bring your bike in, probably because of space constraints.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
While she was trying on clothes at the British Heart Foundation's charity shop in Edinburgh, Scotland, last month, the staff mistook Harris' custom-made $1,800 bike for a donation and sold it for 10 pounds, about $1500.
Fixed

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
Dude we both live in Toronto, but I get the impression you're in a whole different world.

FWIW, in Toronto I've never had a problem bringing my bike in...if I think it's going to be a problem, I just walk in really quickly and flip it over by the cash, and leave it there. There IS one bike shop in Toronto that doesn't allow you to bring your bike in, probably because of space constraints.
i have a substandard bike so no that doesnt apply to everyone.

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
We got Hilton rooms real cheap for the trip this past weekend ($75). Asked the front desk and they had no problems with us bringing our dirty mountain bikes into the rooms (tires were clean enough and we actually never said what kinda of bikes they were when I asked). Same thing last year at a Marriott...

A few photos of trails:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jmaizel/July2008Trumbull26thBlue27thHartshorne28th
Just try bringing two DH bikes up to your room at the Hard Rock in Vegas. Jesus titty f'ng christ. Talk about the third degree from security.
Me and a buddy put our dirtbikes in a hotel room so I dont see why they would care about bicycles.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Easy answer, the store sold it. They need to replace it. They sold stolen property.
That's true. But she wasn't in an economic situation where she could take a hit like a stolen bike and come out smiling.

Someone else could go home and survive. She depended on her bike to take her to the next town to perform.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I don't know what took me so long to think of this story:

While she was trying on clothes at the British Heart Foundation's charity shop in Edinburgh, Scotland, last month, the staff mistook Harris' custom-made $1,800 bike for a donation and sold it for 10 pounds, about $15.

Harris, 25, nearly penniless, was distraught. The bike was her main mode of transportation and had great personal value since she built it herself. Shop employees told her they sold the bike to a middle-aged Asian man with short dark hair.

And, of course, Emily is a friend of mine.

You bought it?