Quantcast

No CCW needed in Arizona

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Will crime go up or down now?

PHOENIX – The Arizona House voted Thursday to make the state the third in the nation to allow people to carry concealed weapons without a permit, sending the governor a bill that would allow Arizonans to forego background checks and classes that are now required.

The legislation, approved by the House 36-19 without discussion, would make it legal for most U.S. citizens 21 or older to carry a concealed weapon in Arizona without the permit now required. Currently, carrying a hidden firearm without a permit is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_concealed_weapons_arizona

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
So can someone explain to me why people would want this?

I can get the idea of CCW permits where responsible people (there is a course or qualification involved yeah?) are allowed to carry for self defence and crims are discouraged because they don't know what their possible victim might be packing.

But seems to me this means that in AZ any dirtbag can stuff anything down his pants and its no longer a felony and I'm not sure why this is a good thing?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
So can someone explain to me why people would want this?

I can get the idea of CCW permits where responsible people (there is a course or qualification involved yeah?) are allowed to carry for self defence and crims are discouraged because they don't know what their possible victim might be packing.

But seems to me this means that in AZ any dirtbag can stuff anything down his pants and its no longer a felony and I'm not sure why this is a good thing?
Well, I'm guessing the massive surge of Mexican Mafia murders is starting to scare Arizona locals.

There are some notable murders in Arizona, and of course, it is like Afghanistan south of the border.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
granted it's no longer punishable, but really, dirtbags are packing, and will always be packing, all over the country and nobody notices.

I see it as progress, and a more accurate interpretation of "the right to bear arms." I don't think classes are necessary, I think the background check to buy the weapon is all the proof you need.
personally, I believe that open carry does more harm than good to weapons carriers excercising their rights. people are terrified of weapons, weather responsible citizens are carrying them or not. people should be able to carry their weapons without scaring the hell out of civilians and getting stared at and shunned out of businesses and public areas. Let people excercise their rights, don't make it hard on them to concealed carry. I support it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I dunno. I understand the purpose of keeping your name as a weapon owner off of government lists, etc. etc., but I believe when you're carrying a potentially dangerous thing in the public sphere, it's reasonable to demand a level of education and training that can be mandated through use of a permit.

I think the .gov should have to show a reason to deny a permit, however, rather than a citizen needing to prove some particular need or reason for wanting the CCW.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My thing with the CCW is that I think if you are going to carry a gun presumably all the time, a little training should mandatory.

But in Norcal, there is no chance of getting a CCW, and the crime around the Bay Area is high.

I like to see what happens in Arizona. It might not be as disastrous as I believe it will be.

nate_vt

Chimp
Jan 8, 2010
Vermont is the same way actually, no permit needed! Which actually surprised me, didnt see it as a state that would have something like that...or lack there of! We have very very little crime, but maybe thats just cuz its Vermont! lol Figured it'd be NH, everythings legal there! ;)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
intelligence ftmfw

alaska and vermont have had it for quite some time... dont hear about the streets running red do we?
But we are talking about low population states where people are not getting in each other faces. And it is not exactly like the Canadien Mafia is sneaking across the border.

Also, those states are frozen for most of the year. Tends to keep things cool, if you know what I mean.

Like I said, I am curious to know.

My guess is there will be one or two notable cases, like a ridiculous argument or a personal defense shooting, and we will discuss the law then.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I'm gonna sit by the intrawebz and :popcorn: before I decide whether or not it's a good idea to visit SoMo this year

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
My thing with the CCW is that I think if you are going to carry a gun presumably all the time, a little training should mandatory.

But in Norcal, there is no chance of getting a CCW, and the crime around the Bay Area is high.

I like to see what happens in Arizona. It might not be as disastrous as I believe it will be.
A moron with a gun can still (hopefully) understand that every one else is going to have a gun. I'm more worried about billy bob drunk in the desert shooting his dick off trying to pee

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I hope they all accidentally shoot their balls off as they stuff their "piece" into their belts...
This happened not so long ago in an east coast town in South Africa. A hijacker tried to pull his revolver on a woman and her young children to persuade them to get out of the car. Said hijacker had an epic fail of a draw and balistically removed a testicle.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Good for Arizona!!
Permit or no permit i would probably be packing living in or just visiting in that state;or anywhere near the border.Sh*t happens down there!

Open carry is a little wierd.Hide that gun already redneck!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was in Tempe right after the Gifford Shootings. The talk of the town was concern about high volume magazines being outlawed. People didn't seemed concerned about the shootings but how it might affect their future gun purchases.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was in Tempe right after the Gifford Shootings. The talk of the town was concern about high volume magazines being outlawed. People didn't seemed concerned about the shootings but how it might affect their future gun purchases.
There were like 11 murders in SF in January, an abnormally high figure would would project to double digit murders for the year, the highest in the last 10 years.

But there hasn't been much concern because almost all of them were not gang or drug related, just random incidents.

The Gifford shooting is also a random incident and it is hardly indicative of a crime pattern of Glock owners or community college dropouts.

I bet if there was something like this, people would care:

ACAPULCO, Mexico – A spate of attacks on taxis in the Mexican resort city of Acapulco has left 12 taxi drivers or passengers dead, police said Sunday, just hours before the Mexican Open tennis tournament is scheduled to start.

Acapulco has been the scene of bloody drug cartel turf wars, and taxi drivers have often been targeted for extortion or recruited by the gangs to act as lookouts or transport drugs.