Quantcast

No complaining about your weather

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Record cold for northern Minn.: 40 below

By JEFF BAENEN, Associated Press Writer2 hours, 55 minutes ago

It lived up to its name: The temperature in International Falls fell to 40 below zero Monday, just a few days after the northern Minnesota town won a federal trademark making it officially the "Icebox of the Nation."

It was so cold that resident Nick McDougall couldn't get his car trunk to close after he got out his charger to kick-start his dead battery. By late morning, the temperature had risen all the way to 18 — below zero.

"This is about as cold as it gets, this is bad. There's no wind — it's just cold," said McDougall, 48, a worker at The Fisherman, a convenience store and gas station in the town on the Canadian border. "People just don't go out, unless you have to go to work."

Residents of the area use electric engine block heaters to keep their cars from freezing.

"You plug in your car, for sure, and you put the car in the garage if you can," McDougall said. His garage is full of other things, so he had to park outside — a "big mistake."

The previous record low for Feb. 11 in International Falls was 37 below, set in 1967, said meteorologist Mike Stewart at the weather service in Duluth.

The temperature also fell to 40 below in Embarrass, 80 miles southeast of International Falls. That's just one degree above the all-time record in Minneapolis, 250 miles to the south, that was set in January 1888, the weather service said.

It was also a cold day in Winter. The town in northwest Wisconsin chilled to a low of 25 below.

"You don't want to be out there too long," said Winter area resident Bill Warner, 37.

The chilly air also blew into the Northeast on Monday and many schools in New York state between Buffalo and Syracuse closed or opened late. Single-digit temperatures plus wind drove the wind chill factor to nearly 20 below across much of upstate New York.

New York state got more than 3 feet of lake-effect snow Monday along the east end of Lake Ontario as the cold wind picked up moisture from the lake. "The highway crews are having a difficult time keeping up with the amount of snow and blowing conditions," said Oswego Town Supervisor Victoria Mullen.

South of the coldest air mass, freezing rain hit southwest Missouri, making roads hazardous and closing schools. Ice was more than an inch thick in places, authorities said. Several thousand lost electricity in the Springfield area when lines iced over and ice-covered limbs crashed onto power lines.

"It's treacherous" Missouri Highway Patrol Sgt. Dan Bracker said in Springfield.

As the precipitation moved eastward out of Missouri, the weather service posted winter storm and snow warnings for parts of Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio.

Hundreds of West Virginia homes and businesses had no electricity Monday, down from several thousand, after weekend wind gusts of up to 55 mph. At least nine counties closed schools because of power outages and the cold. The mountain city of Elkins had a low of 6 above.

Classes also were canceled Monday for a number of schools in Michigan, which remained in a deep freeze after a weekend of single-digit temperatures and gusty wind. One death was blamed on the weather there.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
It's 70 this week. Moved to texas after almost 30 years in the cold of the midewest. I can't understand why people stay there.
:stupid:
It's supposed to be around 0 Celsius here tonight which is about as cold as it gets here although it might get down to minus 3 or 4 on a very rare night. Even that's way too cold for me, can't imagine what 20 or 30 below must be like.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
-40*F is just cold.

I just saw on the news that South Park -- yes, the area that the TV show is based on -- has gone into emergency mode. It's no where near that cold, but the snow and wind has created 25 FOOT SNOW DRIFTS. People are trapped in their homes and are running out of food and propane.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
We couldn't get my car door to shut the other day after TN went out to start it. The latch was frozen open. I will never, ever live in Minnesota.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
it was a brisk -7 when i went to class this morning.

this cold, along with the coming storm, should mean some good snow for the mountains. it's too bad i'm going to be spending all day tomorrow studying for a poli sci test instead of going snowboarding.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
international falls and rainey lake is beautiful... i've been going walleye fishing up there every summer since i was a shorty.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
"This is about as cold as it gets, this is bad. There's no wind — it's just cold,"

Classes also were canceled Monday for a number of schools in Michigan, which remained in a deep freeze after a weekend of single-digit temperatures and gusty wind.
pvssies. It's often windy around these parts when it's that cold...and the schools don't close.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
oh you know very well that global cooling because of global warming.
must...refrain...from...commenting....:banghead:
must...remain...on...topic...

yea, i lived in the twin cities for undergrad and -40 is flippin cold. i can't even imagine it reaching that without a windchill! i suppose it's gonna get worse though; i'm moving into onatario (6 hours due north) of the twin cities for grad school.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It got up to 50 here yesterday. It felt like Spring after all the 20-30 days we have been having. My new bike is finished and I am riding this weekend with a high of 54!

It was 32 when I left the house this morning. It's not bad as long as you keep it under 40mph on the moto.

Dec 13, 2007
Rochester, NY
The chilly air also blew into the Northeast on Monday and many schools in New York state between Buffalo and Syracuse closed or opened late. Single-digit temperatures plus wind drove the wind chill factor to nearly 20 below across much of upstate New York.

Just thinking about my trip to Jamaica on Saturday! 86 and partly cloudy in Kingston Jamaica!

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
i suppose it's gonna get worse though; i'm moving into onatario (6 hours due north) of the twin cities for grad school.
Yes. Thunder Bay will be ridiculous! Very nice area though...

It was -26 C on my walk to work yesterday morning.....
Jamaica on Friday! One day ahead of you Moxie!

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
I was going to chime in, but Wumpus beat me to it. It's been that cold here for 2 weeks.....

-49.9F was the record here from 1975, but I've seen colder on non-official thermometers outside (I've seen -53C (-63ishF) on a dial-thermometer) outside my old office.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
Yes. Thunder Bay will be ridiculous! Very nice area though...
you're kidding, right? i was just up there two weeks ago meeting with my advisor. that was the nastiest place i've ever been through: old industrial town with a few bowling lanes, some fastfood restaurants and rent-by-the-hour motels. think a non-bohemian duluth, just colder and sh!ttier. basically the fridgid arsehole of canada. on the plus side, the wilderness surrounding the town is beautiful so i'm sure i'll be able to suffer through it.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
oh you know very well that global cooling because of global warming.
you all are going to hate me for saying this, but there actually is a phenomenon called global dimming. basically there is way too much pollution in the atmosphere, so less solar radiation is reaching the earth to warm it. it's basically been keeping global warming from getting to be too crazy.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I used to hate getting up at 5:30, riding my 10-speed to work at 6:00 on saturday mornings in chicago. Nothing worse than 20 below without the wind while you try to ride on skinnies in snow and ice.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
on the plus side, the wilderness surrounding the town is beautiful so i'm sure i'll be able to suffer through it.
That's what I was referring to. I guess the surrounding area is very nice...

You don't move to Thunder Bay for a nice modern/urban city...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you all are going to hate me for saying this, but there actually is a phenomenon called global dimming. basically there is way too much pollution in the atmosphere, so less solar radiation is reaching the earth to warm it. it's basically been keeping global warming from getting to be too crazy.
and here all along i thought that global dimming was directly linked the amount of cntrl c/cntrl v that n8 applied to RM.

:monkey:

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
What i originally put was just a joke, but ok! Haha a little lesson in science! :twitch: