Quantcast

"No Country for Old Men"

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
watched it Fri eve.. very very well done flick.

Interesting story and characters.

5 stars

---

Newest version of Beowulf on the other hand was average at best. Not worth going out of your way to see.

2 1/2 stars

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Read the book, waiting to see the movie.

Cormack McCarthy is awesome. I am incapable of putting his books down, I finished NCFOM at 6AM after reading through the night. I was a little tired at work the next day.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Read the book, waiting to see the movie.

Cormack McCarthy is awesome. I am incapable of putting his books down, I finished NCFOM at 6AM after reading through the night. I was a little tired at work the next day.
the movie was well done and i figured that the book had to be even better.. wanting to read the book now.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Amazing film, dark just like his writing style. I highly suggest his novel "The Road" as well. Post-apocolyptic tale of a father and his son after nuclear war. I read it in one sitting (something I don't do often)

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Maybe i just had a bad day, but the movie (twbb) just seemed like it wanted to be taken seriously so badly that it made me pretty reluctant to continue watching it. No Country for Old Men was sort of like that as well, i prefer the Coens when they are ironic and cynical. My No.1 for 2007 would have to be Zodiac, i can't get enough of that movie.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I tried twice to watch it all the way through, got to the same part about 15 minutes from the end and my mind wandered until the credits started rolling and snapped me out of it. Loved the cinematography, wasn't too keen on the story. Tommy Lee Jones should be dragged behind a pickup for the piss poor job he did with his accent.

shamrock

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I thought No Country was just ok... The burning thing in my mind is "hmmm... if he hadn't gone back to bring the dying guy water he probably woulda' gotten away with it." Seriously, what are the odds of tracking the transponder to his trailer.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I thought No Country was just ok... The burning thing in my mind is "hmmm... if he hadn't gone back to bring the dying guy water he probably woulda' gotten away with it." Seriously, what are the odds of tracking the transponder to his trailer.
That's sort of the point of the movie.

And the odds are pretty good, since Chugar-bowl-haircut knew where he was headed, and I'm imagining there's not a plethora of routes to choose between the cities.

I haven't seen There Will be Blood, because I walked out of Gangs of New York, and I'm still not in the mood for another Daniel Day Mustache.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Cormack McCarthy is awesome.
Best thing McCarthy ever did was inspire this:

Saw NCFOM a second time in a theater/drafthouse...was even better on the big screen with a pitcher of Yuengling...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
saw no country this weekend. really liked the cinematography and stack of acting talent. sugar dude's haircut gave me nightmares. seriously, I thought Josh Brolin blew it up acting wise. pretty much nailed the part. The movie did make me think at the end so I'd say it did its job.

On a side note, I've been watching a fair amount of flicks lately and 3:10 to Yuma might be my favorite in years...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Poor flick, i enjoyed reading the Coen Brothers interview the author in Time Magazine or whatever rag that was. Some comment about being so old you don't know if you time to have the bananas turn brown or something to that effect.

Anyways the movie...

Clear concise, everybody dies in a nice consistent timeline. Then blam completely vague at the end, as you are to presume what happened to everybody.

phhhft... Put a poll on who lives and who dies on this board and i bet you'll have 50 different ideas on what went down. Kind of like a bad rave experience.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
In someways, Blood Simple is a better movie..
I dunno about that.

It's always interesting to see what favorites the re-use during the movies, though...the empty lock holes in NCFOM were a lot like the bullet holes in Blood Simple.

Miller's Crossing still wins HUGE marks in my book, though. Bookended with Lebowski--wow.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Read the book first and the ending pissed me off. The movie was almost word for word, action for action and the ending pissed me off.

Good book and movie, though.

As to Tommy Lee Jones' accent, watch Lonesome Dove and it'll seem authentic. Being a Texan-in-law, not really that far off.

Solid acting all around, IMO.

My twist? I think the boy the Sheriff was talking about in the narrative, the one he went to see recieve the death penalty, was actually Chugar. Pretty far off, i know.