Quantcast

No disk brakes...?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I'm in the market for a trail bike that can double as an adventure racer ride. Last year I had a prophet that was good, but didn't leave me breathless with it's ride qualities.

I've got a line on a used TiSports hardtail for $500...it's not disk compatible however. It's been forever since I was on anything besides disk brakes...how bad would it be to go back? I've also never ridden a hardtail for extended periods of time, I've always been a suspension nut...am I in for some disappointment? Any commentary on the TiSports frame?

Thanks in advance...

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
If you think you can sell it back for $500 then give it a try. Otherwise, i think you are in for some disappointment. I absolutely can't stand rim brakes anymore.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you have to go without disks get ceramic rims. Just as powerful as most disks just without the smooth hydraulic lever feel.

RAMNATION1

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
BRAKE THERAPY has those parts for making a non-disc bike a disc compatible with a bolt-on... if you're partial to your rig,a nd have a set or can get a set of disc wheels, I would spend the 20-50 $$ for that... otherwise I would get a new frame... cost is always an issue choose wisely and make sure the need is there...

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I ride a TiSport myself for XC, without discs.

I rock the discs on every other bike I own. When I was building this frame up I thought it would be a bit weird to go back to Vees, but they aren't missed at all.

The frame itself is butter, rides very nice.
Ruined me, I can't justify buying another alu hardtail ever again.

Good choice for an adventure race, too. Spare sets of Vee pads are much lighter (and less hassle to fix) than carrying extra fluid and a bleed kit if you snag your line on something in the middle of nowhere...

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Up until last season all of my bikes had disc on them. When I built up my race bike I found a frame that I really wanted but was rim brake only. (Klein Attitude Race) I built it up with Avid SD SL Calipers, Paul Love Levers, and Nokon housing and I could not be happier with the performance. The brakes haven't held me back at all racing, even in a wet and muddy race they still worked well. The housing makes a big difference IMO. I saved some cash and they're lighter as well.