Quantcast

No handed 360's

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
check your namesake:

http://www.23mag.com/events/afa/a88r6.htm

" Plus : The AFA has two portable ramps they take to every contest. A lot of riders have complaints about them, but the intensity of the riding at the contests must prove that there can't be too much to complain about.
It rained Saturday, but the sky was clear Sunday. The sun was shining in through the windows around the contest area. The glare hit just the right spot so that it blinded a lot of guys just as they hit one of the transitions. This was not an ideal setup, and it interfered with practice before the noon eliminations. Fortunately, the glare was gone before the elims began. Leo Chen was present but bikeless, though he did borrow a bike and participate in practice.
Only three classes had to run eliminations; 14, 16, and 18 Expert. They were finished by 1:30 and practice resumed till four for the mains.
Patrice Kharoubi beat Gregg Macomber in 13 Expert ramps. Patrice was one of the members of a French team who flew all the way to Ohio for the contest. They all did quite well. The international scene is expanding by great leaps and bounds.
The 16 Expert battle Sunday was just as intense as it was Saturday. Matt Hoffman was at this contest, blasting severe air with millions of variations such as no-footers to no-footer cancans, decade drop-ins, barhop airs, and way-high disasters. He's been on the road polishing his routine and substituting for Ron Wilkerson (who broke his ankle and had pins put in it just days before) on the Swatch Impact Tour.
Joel Alamo was his usual impressive self, blasting Indian airs, barhops, nohanders, and the like at about the seven-foot mark. Carlo Griggs has been staying at Gary Pollak's house for a while. The two practice together and it shows. Carlo went out for his routine with the crowd behind him. His first air was a shocking 12 (yes, twelve) feet! The hush that befell the crowd amplified the deafening sound of Carlo's back tire exploding as he hung on re-entry. He coasted to an unsteady stop on the floor, 17 seconds into his routine. He was granted a rerun and after changing wheels he came back and took second place between Hoffman and Alamo (both of whom are turning pro next year). That was Carlo's only second at the contest. His other two were "firsts" -first place in Overall (congrats, dude), and 21st in flatland (heh, heh).
Pro ramp attendance was up from the last contest. Present were DMC, Josh White, Joe Johnson, Rick Moliterno, Dennis Langlais and Todd Anderson. Obviously missing were Brian Blyther, who was on the Swatch Impact Tour, and Ron Wilkerson, who was recovering from ankle surgery. Todd Anderson was way aggressive, but bails and sketches took their toll on his score.
Dennis McCoy was definitely not having an on day Sunday. A hard bail during an attempted grasshopper drop-in (he flies out and lands on the deck facing away from the transition, then hops back hard and lands his front wheel next to coping and does a backwards drop-in) in practice seemed to detune him a bit. He did, however, pull the dropin during his run.
Joe Johnson's cherrypicker drop-ins, barspinner disaster, candybar to cancan, attempted double-tailwhip flyout, no-hander disasters (think about that one ... ), and, of course, his nearly flawless tailwhip airs should have taken top honors, according to many members of the crowd who booed his second-place spot. First place went to a raging Josh White. His airs and 540s were way up there, and his one-handed cancan 540 capped-off an intense, flawless routine. Too cool."

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
unless that's you....

can-can footplants are a possible clue that you rode in the 80s !

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Yep, that was me... Brian Blyther and I were pretty good friends way back, and he always threw the cancan footplant down in his runs. I learned to do it just like him because he had the sickest style. I turned pro a year later after that article was written, then two years later freestyle bmx was dead. No sponsors, no contest, nothing. Things are so much better now it's not even funny.

By the way, I'm from Texas, too. I see you are from Austin. I rode a bunch of AFA contests in the Austin Music Hall place.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
By the way, I'm from Texas, too. I see you are from Austin. I rode a bunch of AFA contests in the Austin Music Hall place.
i know cuz that's how i remember your name. i rode AFA (flatland) and i remember your name because some of the only freestyle videos i had for a while was our home videos of those contests. the Austin City Coliseum is no more. it was demolished. cool to see you're still riding.