Quantcast

No Hands

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
Any tips out there for the no hands (suicide trick??). Do you have to use your knees more, squeeze the frame or something? I'm starting to feel more comfortable in the air and want to incorporate more tricks.
Oh yeah, riding an '04 DHR if it matters any. Thanks!

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I cant do them, but Im gonna pretend like I know what Im talking about: Try to practice on the ground, just roll along, grab the seat with your knees, and let go. This should help you figure out a proper seat hight. Most people I know have to raise their seats a little when they do no handed tricks. I would imagine one of the most important parts is a proper seat hight. I would also imagine that you shouldnt take your hands off until you are completely stable in the air. Finnaly, start smal, just take your hands off a little, or maybe even just one hand, then work your way up to bigger and bigger no-handers....Again, Im am just talking out of my ass, but it sounded good to me...oh yeah, good luck

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
escapeartist said:
I cant do them, but Im gonna pretend like I know what Im talking about: Try to practice on the ground, just roll along, grab the seat with your knees, and let go. This should help you figure out a proper seat hight. Most people I know have to raise their seats a little when they do no handed tricks. I would imagine one of the most important parts is a proper seat hight. I would also imagine that you shouldnt take your hands off until you are completely stable in the air. Finnaly, start smal, just take your hands off a little, or maybe even just one hand, then work your way up to bigger and bigger no-handers....Again, Im am just talking out of my ass, but it sounded good to me...oh yeah, good luck
You should follow your own advice. :)

I just got these down, so how I got there is still fresh. Everything you said about seat height and rolling practice is right on. The biggest thing that helped me was doing one handed half x-up thingies. You still need to pinch your seat on these but it's not such a big deal if you lose it because you've still got a hand on the bars. Practice those and get them down and then a suicide is just the next logical step.

Something that also helps is kind of a faith move.......push the bars foward a little bit when you take your hands off. This helps get the seat against and pinched by your legs a little better.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
seat height doesn't matter.
pinching w/ your knees doesn't matter.

what does matter is that your bike is stable before you take your hands off.

1. go off jump
2. stablize bike
3. remove hands
4. put hands back on
5. land

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
pnj said:
seat height doesn't matter.
pinching w/ your knees doesn't matter.

what does matter is that your bike is stable before you take your hands off.

1. go off jump
2. stablize bike
3. remove hands
4. put hands back on
5. land
And pinching your seat is not a good way to stabilize your bike?

If you can do them without that little detail more power to you. I've had a few too many footless landings to leave that one out though. :eek: ;)

cowboy-jeff

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
Basel Switzerland
If I were you, I would first practice with one hand (left) once you feel real comfortable with your left hand switch to the right hand. That's what I did. I'm in the process of learning the 'No hander' and it's not only hard but pretty dangerous. Be careful and good luck. One more thing, wear as much protection as you can.

Cheers

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
personally, im not into removing either of my hands from the bars, but a buddy of mine (dont ask how the hell he does it) puts his knees against the fork to keep the bars from turning.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
I got Suicide one handers down pretty easy, and id suggest learning them before you step it up to the No hander...

Start small, and for the one hander, i have realized its easier to kind of tuck your hand to get back, rather than keeping it locked and going strait out and around... (If that made any sense...)

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I just got suicides down a while ago. I definately recommend pinching your seat. Otherwise its hard to remain stable. Also, running a DJ seat is a good idea. Alot easier to pinch, and made it alot easier for me when I learned them. I can do them now with my titec, but it feels alot better on a DJ seat. Heres a pic of the Snafu Jump Seat, which would be a good choice, or the Poverty Sofa which is what I learned on. The Sofa is $16 on Danscomp.

-Chris

Attachments

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
mcA896 said:
personally, im not into removing either of my hands from the bars, but a buddy of mine (dont ask how the hell he does it) puts his knees against the fork to keep the bars from turning.
Chris Duncan does it that way in Suspect. But in my opinion, the Kyle Strait suicide looks soooooo much cooler.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
ya thats a tuck no hander, where you pinch your frame near your headtube instead of the seat. They look pretty cool if u ask me.

-C

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
mcA896 said:
That's a tuck no-hander, I think it's an old BMX trick. John Cowan and Greg Watts do them when they do backflip no-handers.

You put your bars in your lap and that keeps the whole bike still.