Quantcast

NO JOKE! Tsunami Warning - West Coast of North America

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
I just saw this... At first I thought this was more U.S. media hype, but this could be the real deal. ARMAGEDDON is coming!!! And I don't mean Karpiel is back is business. God is pissed!!!

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Just heard a second "Emergency Broadcast System" alert. Checked the National Tsunami warning center in Hawaii info conflicts slightly concerning degree of risk of dangerous Tsunami conditions.

Having lived in Hawaii, I had a house at the beach, I wouldn't be in it right now.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Yea, It would have to be one helluva wave to get to my house, but I hope the poeple that could get hit get the **** out of the way

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
I'm sitting in a coffee house right now. Some guy just said he was going surfing tomorrow. I poped off yeah and you will end up right back in Tahoe. You could tell in the room who has heard the news because a FEW folks started laughing, and the others just had this blank I don't get it look.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
They broke in to FOX with Live breaking news to say Washingtons alert level had been downgraded. I remember being in grade school in the 80's and being evacuated from my coastal Oregon town from an alaskan quake that was supposed to create a wave. Nothing ended up happening, but it sure was panic time for a day or so.....

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
what a loud of crap. The news report comes on and tells us an earthquake 80 miles off the coast of Norcal will send a tsunami to the coast in that area in two hours. Hmmmm, at some point the marketing crap has got to stop. I mean come on tsunamis travel at around 400mph. It would have hit the coast in minutes.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
ncrider said:
what a loud of crap. The news report comes on and tells us an earthquake 80 miles off the coast of Norcal will send a tsunami to the coast in that area in two hours. Hmmmm, at some point the marketing crap has got to stop. I mean come on tsunamis travel at around 400mph. It would have hit the coast in minutes.
So screw the better safe than kill a couple of million theory... Right.
People forget sooooooo fast. The same thing JUST killed like what 20-30 thousand over seas. But hey we're america that kinda thing doesn't happen to us. :nuts:

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
hmmm, I didn't hear anything, I guessed I'd be dead if it really hit!

but then again according to the Tsunami warning, I live in a good spot but If I move 2 miles north I'd be dead!

Its all about your home in relation to creeks!

On the bright side, I'd have coastal property!!!!!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
kidwoo said:
Marketing........true...I hear the USGS is owned by the company that makes water wings.
Ive also heard that same company has teamed up with the Terminator to issue a set to every californian that they have to wear 24/7 incase the big one happens and Cali finally falls into the sea...... I think its time to buy stock in that USGS company.....

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
ncrider said:
They have these things called books. You ought to try one out.

The Tsunami that hit Hilo took over 8 hours to traverse from the seabed 100nm south of Dutch Harbour in the Aleutian Islands to the Big Island.
In deep ocean water the waves can travel at as much as 950kph but in shallower water (along a coastline) as little as 30kph.

So, how much do you know about the contours of the seafloor of the entire western coast of North America. Can you accurately predict the arrival time of a Tsunami wave for every coastal town, given the myriad of variables at work? No.

NOAA could, but it would take them longer to do so than it would take for the waves to arrive.

Bottom line. Tsunamis are among the most unpredictable natural disasters. Where the quake happens, or landslide happens, the direction of movement of the land and how much water it displaces, it's magnitude, the depth of the water over the event, tides, bottom contours etc etc etc. There is no real way as yet to predict size of Tsunami waves, where they will hit and when with any sort of real accuracy. That is why when an seismic event happens they err on the safe side and alert everyone as if it were the worst possible outcome.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I missed all of the action tonight; we were out dirt jumping until the sun went down. I must say, it was a great session, we were having so much fun we flowed the four pack after the sun went down...good times!

D

d-sop

no tsunami. its been canclled. as far as earthquakes, what else is new in cali?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
this reminds me of a song I heard somewhere......

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will.
I sure could use a vacation from this

Bullsh1t three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks

Here in this hopeless fvcking hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fvcking time. Any fvcking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Fret for your figure and
Fret for your latte and
Fret for your hairpiece and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your prozac and
Fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and
Fret for your car.

It's a
Bullsh1t three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks

Here in this hopeless fvcking hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fvcking time. Any fvcking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh1ts.

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will cuz
I sure could use a vacation from this

Silly sh1t stupid sh1t...

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.

Mom's gonna fix it all soon.
Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Learn to swim.

fvck L Ron Hubbard and
fvck all his clones.
fvck all those gun-toting
Hip gangster wannabes.

Learn to swim.

fvck retro anything.
fvck your tattoos.
fvck all you junkies and
fvck your short memory.

Learn to swim.

fvck smiley glad-hands
With hidden agendas.
fvck these dysfunctional,
Insecure actresses.

Learn to swim.

Cuz I'm praying for rain
And I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.
Mom please flush it all away.
I wanna watch it go right in and down.
I wanna watch it go right in.
Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.
Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't
Welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it all come down.
suck it down.
flush it down.

:stupid:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
dhtahoe said:
So screw the better safe than kill a couple of million theory... Right.
People forget sooooooo fast. The same thing JUST killed like what 20-30 thousand over seas. But hey we're america that kinda thing doesn't happen to us. :nuts:
Kidwoo said:
You are one ignorant human.
Do some more research mmkay?
Marketing........true...I hear the USGS is owned by the company that makes water wings.
Damn True said:
They have these things called books. You ought to try one out.
Can you accurately predict the arrival time of a Tsunami wave for every coastal town, given the myriad of variables at work? No.
NOAA could, but it would take them longer to do so than it would take for the waves to arrive.

WOW WOW WOW. Simma down guys. Look you all have valid points. Certainly, error on the side of safety is always the best option. I should have explained my point of view in more detail. To answer Kidwoo and Damn True, well I've done research on these things in the past (wrote a paper in college) and I simply forgot to run the equation for the speed of tsunamis ( speed= square root of (g*d), where g=acceleration of gravity (9.81meter/second^2) & D= depth of ocean floor.

What I was coming from is my complete hate for local news which is typicaly dramatized crap. This report from NOAA was issued right after the quake.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/wmsg

It says that localized tsunami (withen 100km) is possible, but further threat is not a concern. True these are hard to predict, but my point is this, the local news in San Diego was chalking this up to be the end of the world and they even said it would hit La Jolla in 3 - 4 hours and then the classic "stay tuned for further updates" OK thats when I get synical. NOAA has released a report saying only a localized tsunami is a possibility, yet local news pusshes that aside for dramatic ratings. Certainly the news loves events like this for their marketing $$$ and they will drag it along as far as they can. My local news was still saying we were all in danger even after NOAA has released a report saying the opposite.

So I'm sorry for being synical on such a potentially serious manner (DHtahoe), but it really stems from my disgust of local news and not my short sited mentality on the dynamics of this event (Damn True) and not that I am ignorant (Kidwoo).

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I don't like the coast for that :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ,no really .On the coast of Oregon there are Tsunami areas with sirens ,but did you know drift wood kills people every year on the Oregon coast :think: :think: them dam trees ,Oh well we did not have one and be thank full we have to convienince of electronics to warn us :think: :think: :think:

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
shocktower said:
I don't like the coast for that :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ,no really .On the coast of Oregon there are Tsunami areas with sirens ,but did you know drift wood kills people every year on the Oregon coast :think: :think: them dam trees ,Oh well we did not have one and be thank full we have to convienince of electronics to warn us :think: :think: :think:
How does driftwood kill people? :confused:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
MtnbikeMike said:
How does driftwood kill people? :confused:

Surfers, swimmers or anyone else in the ocean can get bonked on the head and drown.

This past el nino winter in California was really bad. For a few months anytime I went surfing there was drift wood everywhere. It was scary. I even stopped surfing for awhile out of concern, but it was tuff because the sand bars were so good.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
ncrider said:
WOW WOW WOW. Simma down guys. Look you all have valid points. Certainly, error on the side of safety is always the best option. I should have explained my point of view in more detail. To answer Kidwoo and Damn True, well I've done research on these things in the past (wrote a paper in college) and I simply forgot to run the equation for the speed of tsunamis ( speed= square root of (g*d), where g=acceleration of gravity (9.81meter/second^2) & D= depth of ocean floor.

What I was coming from is my complete hate for local news which is typicaly dramatized crap. This report from NOAA was issued right after the quake.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/wmsg

It says that localized tsunami (withen 100km) is possible, but further threat is not a concern. True these are hard to predict, but my point is this, the local news in San Diego was chalking this up to be the end of the world and they even said it would hit La Jolla in 3 - 4 hours and then the classic "stay tuned for further updates" OK thats when I get synical. NOAA has released a report saying only a localized tsunami is a possibility, yet local news pusshes that aside for dramatic ratings. Certainly the news loves events like this for their marketing $$$ and they will drag it along as far as they can. My local news was still saying we were all in danger even after NOAA has released a report saying the opposite.

So I'm sorry for being synical on such a potentially serious manner (DHtahoe), but it really stems from my disgust of local news and not my short sited mentality on the dynamics of this event (Damn True) and not that I am ignorant (Kidwoo).

Cynical is spelled with a "c" not an "s". :D

My daughter (seven years old) saw the EBS warning crawl across the screen last night and started freaking out. I live about 12-13 miles inland at about 1300ft elevation, but trying to convince her that we weren't in danger took a little while.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
These warnings are just a short term feel-good reflex to the SE Asian tragedy, I'm afraid. Just like with Terror Threat Levels, we will quickly acclimate to their existence and go about our lives ignoring them like villagers hearing Peter's cry of "Wolf!"

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
llkoolkeg said:
These warnings are just a short term feel-good reflex to the SE Asian tragedy, I'm afraid. Just like with Terror Threat Levels, we will quickly acclimate to their existence and go about our lives ignoring them like villagers hearing Peter's cry of "Wolf!"
In Hawaii they test the system every month (first tuesday) and when the warnings come they are taken very seriously. It should be the same way elsewhere.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
There was a Tsunami warning here a couple of years ago,heaps of people went to the beach to watch it,morons!

Sure nothing happened,but still,going to the beach to watch tsunami's! :nope:
I was glad I live 200m up a hill that day,saved me looking like a fool having to go to the beach to see the tsunami! :stupid: