Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
The water was "cloudy" :( I don't think I would be swimming in that pool

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i don't believe it. something is seriously amiss here. After serving as a life guard for a couple of years, it's not possible to ignore a huge dark colored object on the floor of the pool when you sit in chair. if it is, you're way too high, blind, or something else is terribly wrong with the pool. They're supposed to check for all those things before you get in chair anyways. I mean seriously, not a single person swam in the deep end with goggles on, or walked by the side of the pool? Nobody skimmed the pool over those two days nor checked?

I just don't believe it. I want to see an autopsy saying she was indeed in the pool for three days before being removed. Plus, don't dead bodies float?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
i don't believe it. something is seriously amiss here. After serving as a life guard for a couple of years, it's not possible to ignore a huge dark colored object on the floor of the pool when you sit in chair. if it is, you're way too high, blind, or something else is terribly wrong with the pool. They're supposed to check for all those things before you get in chair anyways. I mean seriously, not a single person swam in the deep end with goggles on, or walked by the side of the pool? Nobody skimmed the pool over those two days nor checked?

I just don't believe it. I want to see an autopsy saying she was indeed in the pool for three days before being removed. Plus, don't dead bodies float?
They said the water was "cloudy". it must have been REALLY stanky. It's 12 feet deep. I won't bore everyone with my expertise in pool chemistry....but if they really weren't taking care of the water, (which sounds like the case), I could see how something in 12 feet of opaque water could be missed. Even if you can see 6 or 7 feet down, the water would appear ok.....if you weren't really paying attention. and that still leaves 5 feet of water to hide in.

And bodies only begin to float after they've been decaying for a few days. (says so in the article).

In my "expert" opinion, in a poorly maintained pool, this is totally plausible.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

They said the water was "cloudy". it must have been REALLY stanky. It's 12 feet deep. I won't bore everyone with my expertise in pool chemistry....but if they really weren't taking care of the water, (which sounds like the case), I could see how something in 12 feet of opaque water could be missed. Even if you can see 6 or 7 feet down, the water would appear ok.....if you weren't really paying attention. and that still leaves 5 feet of water to hide in.

And bodies only begin to float after they've been decaying for a few days. (says so in the article).

In my "expert" opinion, in a poorly maintained pool, this is totally plausible.
i used to guard too. regardless of what happened, this is negligence.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm calling bullsh*t on this one. If a little girl will notice a Baby Ruth floating, somehow a dead body will draw more attention.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm calling bullsh*t on this one. If a little girl will notice a Baby Ruth floating, somehow a dead body will draw more attention.

shows how little you know. if they messed up their chemical balance badly (which I've seen before), you wouldn't be able to see something in 3-4 feet of water. At which point you're SUPPOSED to close the pool.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
shows how little you know. if they messed up their chemical balance badly (which I've seen before), you wouldn't be able to see something in 3-4 feet of water. At which point you're SUPPOSED to close the pool.
Exactly. pH gets out of whack and the water turns a cloudy white. And the top 1/2 or 3/4 of the water won't look THAT bad. (But not being able to see the bottom should be a huge red flag). And 12 feet, is pretty deep.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
There was a kid that drowned at a camp in Iowa a year or two ago. Same kind of scenario...pool full of campers and no one missed him until they counted heads for the trip back to camp. Total :facepalm:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
well you can see the bottom of the lap lanes, which usually run 4-5'6", in all the aerial photos. They tried to use the fact that they couldn't see the grate at the bottom of the deep end as evidence that it was opaque, but that was as seen from a helicopter several hundred feet off the ground using a VGA quality lens....so I'm going with "likely visible from a guards chair based on the clarity at 5ft". I agree that it's cloudy, but it looks like too much chlorine to me. I've been in plenty of older pools where that happens.

I begooglized it, and yeah, dead babies only float after several days. Still, that water must have been paint-thick to not see it, especially if not a single person swam close to the bottom.