Quantcast

No more Bullits?

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I was just visiting the Santa Cruz Bicycles website which has just been updated over the last couple of days. There is no longer a Bullit listed as one of their bikes. So, I guess I now own a piece of history with my Bullit! I can't believe they dropped Bullits. They still sell quite a few of them here in the Bay Area.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I can belive they dropped the bullet, its old i think the rear end feels like crap and there is alot of brake jack. as well they have the nomad and the VPfree

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
TheMontashu said:
I can belive they dropped the bullet, its old i think the rear end feels like crap and there is alot of brake jack. as well they have the nomad and the VPfree

Hehehehe.....Loren, The EXPERT ON EVERYTHING....

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I rode 2 days on a bullet 1 at northstar and 1 at pacifica, ill take an FSR or VPP bike any day than a high dingle pivot with no floater that has been around for like 8 years

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
TheMontashu said:
I rode 2 days on a bullet 1 at northstar and 1 at pacifica, ill take an FSR or VPP bike any day than a high dingle pivot with no floater that has been around for like 8 years

You don't go fast enough for it to matter anyway...

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
I think they could have did some changes to the Bullet:
Added a swinglink like YETI AS-X
Cut the seatpost tube down on the LARGE by 1"
Redesigned the swingarm for more clearance.

But the NOMAD looks good & comparable to the Bullet..

I'm not happy with the looks of the NEW V10.Some will post that looks don't matter,but they do to me. I love my 2003 V10. Low slung & just plain looks better ,probably faster too/more raked out !

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
The Bullit swingarm fits a Michelin 2.8" on an 823 rim with room to spare. Don't tell me you need more clearance than that.

-r

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Dam.........
I always thought my 2.7" was the biggest.Must not be much clearance with that 2.8" Those are huge tires......

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I think that the addition of a floating brake is really all the Bullit needs and that is available aftermarket from Therapy Components. I even wrote to Santa Cruz and suggested that they offer a floater as optional kit but they did not seem too interested. They said they were going to keep the Bullit because of it's simplicity and affordability along witht the Heckler. This was about 5-6 months ago.

Now, I think it is pretty obvious that they are going to put all their apples in VPP technology which is probably a good move. I think the Heckler, Juliana, and Superlight are probably on their last year. So, I think the days of picking up a Santa Cruz frame in the $1000 price range are numbered. So much for affordability.

I've had my eye on a Nomad ever since the first prototype photos came out and want one badly! Saving my pennies!!!

RobsterCrw

Chimp
May 13, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
there was a thread for this on MTBR, someone claimed that the bullit is taking a hiatus while it gets revamped. I can't confirm that. Bullit is a great bike.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I have love my Bullit. There is something to be said for simplicity. The rebuild kit is only $24 directly from Santa Cruz and is a piece of cake to complete. Really, the only thing I wish I had for mine would be a floating brake. I wish Santa Cruz would have their own kit for this instead of Brake Therapy. That guy makes a nice floater but it is pretty damned expensive in my opinion. I think that is why he has not sold more of them.