Quantcast

No More Driving - Bike To Work

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
After receiving a RM beating after disclosing that I drive to work when I can take the train, I have decided to stop driving to work for the rest of the month.

I did it once in Connecticut when the Iraqi War first broke out, and it was difficult because the public transportation system there is mediocre. This one will be easier because of Caltrain.

I will also keep mtn biking after work (Waterdog is about 8 miles from my job). I will also ride home at least once (about 30 miles).

Now I challenge everyone to stop driving to work this month too, Toshi!!!!

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
i actually could have ridden to work today but i need some new slicks/street tires. maybe ill head over to the LBS after work to pick some up

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
I'm going to start biking to work (~16 miles one way) after I get my Psylo fixed. Oh, and the weather improves. :mad:

-S.S.-
from another thread...
SkaredShtles said:
<shrug>

Nobody said that saving the planet was going to be easy........... ;)

-S.S.-

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When I gave up driving in protest of the war, it was a miserable month. I did not drive at all, and those evening visits to friends in the 'burbs became huge drags. After two weeks, I really started to hate riding.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sanjuro said:
from another thread...
Yes - but what you'll note is that at no point did I profess to be holier-than-thou when it comes to doing things to "do my part."

I do what I can, but I don't let it control my life. And I sure as hell don't go about saying "You should do <this> and <that>" to people - I recognize that the *biggest* environmental impact I have is simply in the fact that I *exist* - and I'm not going to off myself. :p

-S.S.-

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Good job. After my knee surgery when I heal I might be able to pull it off. It's tought though because I leave early in the morning and go swimming, then I go to work, to the gym at lunch, and then riding after work. That's a lot of crap to pack around on a bike!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I drive to work with my bike in the back. then, when I get out of work, I can go ride. usually, I just go home and drink though.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I'm gonna buck the trend and start driving to work. Hell, everyone rides these days. I wanna be cool again.

:dancing:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
Yes - but what you'll note is that at no point did I profess to be holier-than-thou when it comes to doing things to "do my part."

I do what I can, but I don't let it control my life. And I sure as hell don't go about saying "You should do <this> and <that>" to people - I recognize that the *biggest* environmental impact I have is simply in the fact that I *exist* - and I'm not going to off myself. :p

-S.S.-
This is quickly falling into the realm of "Internet Argument".

In the real world, I don't hassle anyone for driving a gas-guzzler. People do what they do, and my words have little impact on them.

On the other hand, some of your words forced me out of my sloth and back on my commuter bike. So maybe, expressing my opinion does influence people.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
When I lived in Phoenix, I biked to work all the time. My different jobs varied from 1 mile away to 4, 20 and 35 miles away. Obviously, the 1 and 4 got done all the time, the 20 most of the time and the 35 rarely.

My fav was the 20 as I could get there in just under an hour on my road bike, or cut through the mountain preserve and hit 'trail 100' to make the commute two hours.

I miss having the predictable weather and time to do that.

When I finish school, I will be biking in at least three times a week. Until then, it's just thursdays and fridays.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
Hey, at least you recognized your hypocrisy! Most "do-gooders" don't. :thumb:

-S.S.-
BTW, I said people shouldn't drive big SUV's because the size was unnecessary considering the gas usage. I know people have to drive for various reasons, and convenience was my reason. So to your accusations of hypocrisy :eviltongu

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When gas is $5 a gallon, you'll look awfully stupid driving around with a bike on the back of your car...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sanjuro said:
BTW, I said people shouldn't drive big SUV's because the size was unnecessary considering the gas usage. I know people have to drive for various reasons, and convenience was my reason. So to your accusations of hypocrisy :eviltongu
Let's break out the quote:

You drive a big ass vehicle, you're influencing the price of gas, pollution, traffic, and even the Iraq war.

Most people either don't know or don't care about the effect they have on the world. Remember, somebody always picks up your tab.
The simple act of driving *any* vehicle influences the price of gas, pollution, traffic, etc. And by commuting in your car, you too are expecting someone else to pick up the tab, eh?

At least you're going to step up to the plate! :thumb:

-S.S.-

P.S. Let us also remember this one:

2. I bike commute.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuro
BTW, I said people shouldn't drive big SUV's because the size was unnecessary considering the gas usage. I know people have to drive for various reasons, and convenience was my reason. So to your accusations of hypocrisy

Let's break out the quote:

Quote:
You drive a big ass vehicle, you're influencing the price of gas, pollution, traffic, and even the Iraq war.

Most people either don't know or don't care about the effect they have on the world. Remember, somebody always picks up your tab.

The simple act of driving *any* vehicle influences the price of gas, pollution, traffic, etc. And by commuting in your car, you too are expecting someone else to pick up the tab, eh?

At least you're going to step up to the plate!

-S.S.-

P.S. Let us also remember this one:

Quote:
2. I bike commute.
I do own a car and I do drive to work. I typical bike commute distances under 5 miles, and since moving to SF, I have done the train/bike combo at least 40% for my commutes of 25 miles. I started a new job this month, and I have been driving because it has been convenient.

And yeah, I feel guilty about not taking the train to my new job. But guilt is a good motivator for me; Anger is. And boy did I get angry when other RM's started criticizing me!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
sanjuro said:
Now I challenge everyone to stop driving to work this month too, Toshi!!!!
props. i ride to "work" every day. right now it's only 0.5 mi or so :D but will soon become a 3.5 mi trek. not bad at all considering it's all on the burke gilman and i have a road bike (with fenders! a seattle necessity). the next big step for me would be to buy groceries on the bike. i'll have to find somewhere close and make more frequent trips... :think:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi said:
props. i ride to "work" every day. right now it's only 0.5 mi or so :D but will soon become a 3.5 mi trek. not bad at all considering it's all on the burke gilman and i have a road bike (with fenders! a seattle necessity). the next big step for me would be to buy groceries on the bike. i'll have to find somewhere close and make more frequent trips... :think:
OK, you ride to work!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Toshi said:
Panniers are awesome for trip to the grocery store. You also spend less because you are forced to buy less as you can only carry so much. Also, bring cloth bags of your own for extra karma points. You get deducted hippie points though if they are hemp :p

I don't think I've even been in a car since I drove back from the Firestone race.

The Ito

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
wooglin said:
I'm gonna buck the trend and start driving to work. Hell, everyone rides these days. I wanna be cool again.

:dancing:

wooglin-
it's going to take a lot more than bucking a trend to get you cool.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Been riding to work as much as I can. Outta the 6 day work week I've been trying to ride 4 of those.

That's only been happening for a week now, so we'll see how long I can stay at it. I'm totally doing the bike to work week... so I have atleast one more week in me.

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
I use the subway to get to work, i'm building a commuter bike at the moment, my goal is to not buy my subway monthly pass and ride to work starting june 1st.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
tartosuc said:
I use the subway to get to work, i'm building a commuter bike at the moment, my goal is to not buy my subway monthly pass and ride to work starting june 1st.

What are you building up for a Commuter Bernard???

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I wish that I could participate :( On my bike, 35 miles each way would suck when I have to be here at 7:30am. Plus, I am a teacher and right now I have to bring a bunch of crap back and forth. There is no available public transportation.

However, I just applied to 2 school that are much closer to home that I could see myself biking to. :thumb:

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Heidi said:
Good job. After my knee surgery when I heal I might be able to pull it off. It's tought though because I leave early in the morning and go swimming, then I go to work, to the gym at lunch, and then riding after work. That's a lot of crap to pack around on a bike!
Come on Heidi you can still skinny dip :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: ,BTW I walkm to work every day it`s about 45 ' from my front door to the shop