Quantcast

No more fvcking step up session videos!!!

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
It seems that there is a new trend. Since pants have gotten tighter, walking back up to the top of hills has gotten harder. So in order to compensate for this major handicap, kids are now making more videos of step ups, and less of trails. Please, I am asking kindly, buy some real pants and film something that I haven't seen a million times before.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
what about fly-outs which aren't technically step ups? Cause I was just about to release a sweet web-vid of me dead-sailoring a fly out from about 20 different camera angles and wicked slow-mo....... maybe I won't now... :(.

Personally, I can't wait until no-pants comes into fashion. Now thats something I can get behind.

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
haha, awesome. I can't necessarily bash people for sessioning step-ups all day, but I CAN'T FVCKING STAND video segments of riders walking up hills and time-lapse sky shots. I mean, really, are clouds moving in fast forward THAT interesting? While girl pants are debatable, filler shots in videos are not: stop doing them. :thumb: </end rant>

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
don't forget cased landings, looooooots of cased landings.

I would session the heck out of that step up though given the chance.......... just not video it or tell anyone about it, kinda like mopeds.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
slow mo needs to die as well. i have no problem with it when used for some extremely epic trick or shot, after it is shown regular speed. but many of the videos people are putting out seem to be about 60/40 slowmo to real time. wtf. the shots are not that epic and slowmo will not make them that way it highlights the fact that they are not.

in the video that was shot i did like the close up shot of dirt being thrown on the lip even if it was filler. filler footage that is unique and interesting or funny can add to the video a lot imho.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Sonic Reducer! you still riding? Seems like I heard/saw that you sold your bike....

And I agree. NO MORE FREAKING SLOW MO!!

I watch a video the other day that seemed like it was ALL slow mo. Horrible.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
yes of course i am still riding. havent sold any bikes recently though i am seriously considering getting rid of my IH sunday. i go to softies periodically but have been riding a lot of delridge skatepark. the new beacon hill park is prime and apparently they will run the lights. night session at your own risk lol.

slow mo is to bike videos as auto tune is to top 40 rap music.

Last edited:

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
death to setups!

(nothing wrong with a step up, but I'm totally biased since every single jump on the local spot here is a step up. hatred.)

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Step up jam vs trail jam on Vimeo

goodness I hope you haven't seen this one yet Truth, it has so many things wrong with it I just don't want to even start typing. Again, caveat-ed with my admission that if it was next door, I would ride this stuff, but you won't ever catch me digging/building this kind of thing.

Also, stino, in my mind there is at least one very good and traditional reasoning behind step ups... trails growing up. If you don't want to have every lip be a steep boomer and you don't want to change the spacing of every set in a 24-pack but you want to have bigger jumps and go higher over the years, having step ups is an easy way to limit your lateral travel without needing super steep sets.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
goodness I hope you haven't seen this one yet Truth, it has so many things wrong with it I just don't want to even start typing. Again, caveat-ed with my admission that if it was next door, I would ride this stuff, but you won't ever catch me digging/building this kind of thing.
What you don't like the wooden lips and all the pedaling between sets? I agree with you - back yard or next door, sure would be fun but not something I'd spend time on. Although they did a nice job on that berm with the low exit set.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Although they did a nice job on that berm with the low exit set.
yeah, thats one of the things that made the spot seem weird, there seemed to be some level of digging/building talent present with the landings, berms and that berm-to-skipper, but then the flats and lips...... shrug.