Quantcast

No More SPD's!! NBL & Pros discuss ban

BUG

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
CoSprings, Colorado
Hey saw this the other day while surfin'.

"The National Bicycle League and a large portion of the AA Pro class met today at the NBL Christmas Classic to talk about the possibilities of the AA class "Going Flat" in Pro Series races."

......"The AA's met with the NBL as a group, and discussed the option, and the consensus across the board from the AA Pros, was positive to the proposed action."

I don't know about everyone else but I personally think it's great. I never really liked the whole SPD thing in BMX, don't get me wrong I don't see it as cheating like some people argued. I really think flats was what bmx was all about, I mean you wouldn't see anyone racing Hell Track in SPD's or anything. I also think it got some younger kids in a little over their heads a little too fast, just trying to win. I know if it all goes thru I might just have to start racing again when I get my little boy started here in a year or so(he'll be 4 in may).

oh yeah here's the link I found it on BMXmania there's another article and a few more links I think

http://www.bmxmania.com/december_02.htm

go down to Sunday December 29, for the article

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I don't have any experience in BMX racing, but I'll say this:

In any sport, the less they make it about the equipment, and the more they make it about absolute athletic perfomance and skill, the better.
This is a great move to make BMX racing more accesible and less daunting to beginners, as well as making the actual racing more "pure" by removing the technology factor.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
I feel it's more about being safe. Ever try racing with 10 to 15 guys all aiming for the same line straped to the bike. It makes for more injuries and mess than riding flats.

UpstatePride

Chimp
Feb 1, 2002
Upstate NY
One summer in highschool racing at the BMX track was all the rage. I just remember this one kid there who literally had to throw all his weight into unclipping his foot. There was no soft "click" when his foot came out, more like a loud "clunk" from the tension being so high. I think in a crash, he'd be more likely to just break his ankle than have his foot come off. I think the ban would be a good thing for sure, especially for the young'uns.

ChrisNJ

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
jersey
I raced in expert class for a few years, and i would have to say, i would never think of using spd's in bmx. personally, i think its too much and doesnt allow free enough movement of your feet on the pedals when jumping. Im sure its a nice advantage on gates..but i would never use anything but flats :) especially now that im doing street/trails more than racing.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
when i used to race bmx, for a little while i used clipless. the worst was when i first got them i was on the gate, lost my balance and couldnt clip out in time so i had to grap onto the kid next to me to keep me from falling.

i went back to platforms later though.

oh i also was paranoid of the gate not falling and filliping over the gate connected to my bike