Quantcast

No more WIM series!

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
Snacks said:
Have you ever put on a race? Or contributed to anything except talking smak?:rolleyes:
already established i don't know anything about puting on a race..... for 50+$ i should'nt have to. if i did help w/whatever at the venue, i would expect to have my entrance fees paid, or at least discounted greatly. as a paying customer showing up to race, i should'nt have to understand the inner workings of race promotion. if i buy a fifty dollar bus ticket to idaho, am i expected to know idaho state history, who the governor is, what city is the state capitol...etc.etc..maybe try reading these posts to see a point of view before asking silly questions that have already been answered,before acusing someone of "talking smak"

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
fattyfat1 said:
already established i don't know anything about puting on a race..... for 50+$ i should'nt have to. if i did help w/whatever at the venue, i would expect to have my entrance fees paid, or at least discounted greatly. as a paying customer showing up to race, i should'nt have to understand the inner workings of race promotion. if i buy a fifty dollar bus ticket to idaho, am i expected to know idaho state history, who the governor is, what city is the state capitol...etc.etc..maybe try reading these posts to see a point of view before asking silly questions that have already been answered,before acusing someone of "talking smak"

You are talking smack, actually that is all you are doing. Your points aren't relevent. This isn't a trip to Idaho on a bus. It's the fact that you aren't even for a minute taking the time to think about the reality of the situation, nor learn the facts.

WIM often gave free or discounted entry for those who volunteered. I had my entry waived numerous times for being a course marshall, cleaning up, etc and I know there were plenty of others who were in the same boat.

And to touch on this constant point of the fact that it's expensive. What in this world hasn't increased in expense over time? Racing is just another of those expenses. Promoters face a lot of expenses for each event, each of which increases yearly. Promoters pay for permits, insurance, supplies, food for volunteers/staff, shuttles/lift rental, gas, etc. It's only natural that if the cost to the promoter increases there's a chance it will go up for the racer also. The reality of a service.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
fattyfat1 said:
I'm not really sure what buying a bus ticket to ID has to do with any of this:rolleyes:

As for your point of view, if you had one in any of your pervious post they were shadowed by all your negative comments:p

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Secret Squirrel said:
The B.C. Cup series....I plan on going expert next season and was already wanting to hit a couple...but now it sounds like it'll be between those and the nat'ls west of the rockies...

Anywayz, any info helps!! Thanks!!

And oh yeah....Joy, clean out your PMs........haha..I almost made a funny!!

Oh yeah, congrats!! (you prolly don't know me, but I know you guys!! :sneaky: )
Oops. I didn't realize it was full. Try now.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
holliswood said:
So since everyone is putting in their two cents....................

I have been doing the WIM thing for over seven years and I have seen alot of changes, good and bad go along with that series. For me, I started out racing WIM and would not have been exposed to the racing side of our sport without them. Yes, I do agree, the courses have been less than favorable over the years, but they were holding races when others were not. As for the people who keep saying WIM races were expensive......When was the last time anyone ever heard of racing being inexpensive! I don't know of a cheap kind of racing unless you are into the gerbil races at the county fair. I have seen other individuals (all good freinds) take a stab at the race promoter thing. They did an awsome job taking on an extremely tough challenge and offering us an alternative to the courses of WIM (Thanks Kevin Ryan, Eric Kack-ley, Jason Mosely, The City of Montesano). I appriciate everything these individuals did and are continuing to do for our sport locally! I don't know if alot of you younger riders know this but the WIM series carried ALOT of weight for national points, upgrades ect........ What that means is if you are a young guy who is trying to move up the ranks as a racer, obtain sponsors, and national points, things just got alot tougher for you. You thought WIM was expensive and the races were a long drive (this seems to be a big bitch I am hearing in this thread), now you are going to have to drive just as far (except for the Hood races and some BC Cups) depending on where you live. but the NORBA NCS races are going to be the big races you will need to hit and they cost a ton (travel, entry fee's$$$$$$$$$$$$). I am actually sad to see WIM go. I do hope this will help open up more avenues for locals to throw some races and give us some courses that we could actually race and become competitive with the rest of the country.

But then again, I"m old and I don't know what I am talking about!
Exactly Holliswood!

I'm really bummed that this thread has gone in this direction...although what should I expect...this is RM!:blah:

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
so i need suggestions on which races to do now that the WIM series is gone :(
but anyways i'll probably hit the mt hood races, willamette pass, bc races, and the garbonzo dh during crankworx, but what else is there?
thanks a ton for any help, racing dh is my life and the demise of the WIM series is a tragedy

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
Well, that's a lot of races right there. Hood will have 5 races next year, I think Williamette had 4 or 5 last year, and there's the B.C. cups, plus you could probably count on a race or 3 up at Silver Mtn. in Idaho. How many times do you want to race?

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
I don't know a dam thing about the WIM races. I didn't go to one. Didn't race in one. Stay with me here. In the mid 90's this guy named Matt Hoffman had a contest series called the Bicycle Stunt Series. Skatepark, Vert, flat all for 20" bikes.
Everyone bitched about everything.
Matt got ESPN on board to get money for better ramps and better staffing. Everyone bitched.
He got tired of it and it got sold/ changed into the XGames
Now everyone that bithced thinks back on those times of riding, parties, car break downs, and good times wishing for a contest series.

Isn't it about having a good time riding your bike, being with budies, and running into new riders?
Why all the anger?
Can't we all just get along?

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
Snacks said:
I'm not really sure what buying a bus ticket to ID has to do with any of this:rolleyes:

As for your point of view, if you had one in any of your pervious post they were shadowed by all your negative comments:p
the bus ticket thing is called an analogy, ever heard of one? like i said before, after paying money to race, i don't need to know the inner workings of race promotion, nor do i care. i payed my money, you deal with it. as for relavent points, they dont get any simpler to understand. 50-60$ dollars to race is too much money for what you are getting at wim races(point#1) the courses were less than desirable for people who race challenging courses everywhere else (point#2) the treatment was lackluster considering downhillers are not 2nd class citizens next to xc., we are all customers paying wages with our entrance fees.(point#3) pretty simple i think. now if these arent relavent points then i must not be typing this in english. p.s. please spare me the "enlightenment" of explaining every detail of how a race is put together, ive aready read about it 5 times now.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
fattyfat1 said:
the bus ticket thing is called an analogy, ever heard of one? like i said before, after paying money to race, i don't need to know the inner workings of race promotion, nor do i care. i payed my money, you deal blah blah blah blah blah
You must have come in "last" place too much, because you really like having the "last" word.:evil:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
fattyfat1 said:
...negative nancy...
You said something before to the affect of "who wants to pay all this $ and time, and etc" to go to Spokane to sniff farts. I guess the close to 300 participants that show up to every race there?
I here people moaning about how they're glad the called it, well I'm not. I had fun at almost all the races they put on not because of (or inspite of) them but because I enjoy racing. Even if I'm not competitive. The courses I didn't like, I didn't go to.
We get it, you don't feel you got your moneys worth with there product. You undoubtedly stopped participating. You've done your part?
We tried our hand at putting on races and learned that the DH crowd (and maybe all competitive event participants?) are a fickle bunch. If someone locally wanted to try their hand I would lend a hand. But just because its a "local" race I'm not going if I don't feel I'm getting my $'s worth. Apparently people felt that way about the races we put on so we counted our losses and moved on. BTW, our events were never meant as an alternative to WIM, but in addition.
I hope the locals try to get something going. I'll go and hit it up. If they suck at putting on an event or if the venue sucks I won't go back. But I won't get on some forum and continue to take shots at them long after the horse is dead.
To each their own I guess.

garcia

Chimp
Jun 10, 2005
let's do our own races, everyone $10 dollars and we play that money , each category with their own price. and forget about norba and be famous, and just ride because we love to ride

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
i didn't speak my mind on this thread to make enemies. everyone is entitled to have a side on this except people who were unhappy w/wim. you guys thought their races were great. thats fine, i can respect that. it's a passionate subject with fellow mtb'ers on both sides.(well, me on one side, all of you on the other!) borrekid(post#34) said he didn't care if they were lame, it's about the beer and food and friends afterward. I DO CARE! i came there to race! if i wanted to drink beer and eat food id go to the bar w/friends. i'm not going to appologize for having an opinion or being negative, but i will feel sorry if i have made any enemies because i spoke my mind and those people who disagree can only employ their opinions. races are not easy to put on. agree! they cost lots of money to put on and are very labor intensive. agree! the impression i'm getting here is its not ok to speak honestly about subjects here? its ok to have opinions that are negative about l.b.s. or supergo, or god forbid the all holy and all encompassing "EXITS". but don't touch wim? smak talker? ya, alittle. negative nancy? maybe. trying to get the last word? definetely not, just trying to get my point across like everyone else..................

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
MUTOLI said:
Exactly Holliswood!

I'm really bummed that this thread has gone in this direction...although what should I expect...this is RM!:blah:
At least we wont have any more threads about making the race courses easier by cutting down jumps......

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
oly said:
At least we wont have any more threads about making the race courses easier by cutting down jumps......
Haha it's RM, they will reappear in some fashion, give it time. They can't whine about WIM, sure someone will whine about the BC Cup or Hood races in just a matter of time if that's all thats left...

I can't wait!:blah:

In the mean time, I'll be out enjoyin' the riding up here, and taking the occassional swim in a puddle... wait, mountain biking is fun?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Skookum said:
i'm super light, if i was beer i'd taste like watery piss. :blah:
You mean busch? God I don't get how the Freshman here drink it. You can tell you are an upper classman when you refuse to drink watery piss. You learn to appreciate beer. As a friend refered to the Chuckanut Brewfest at the festival - "A non-denominational celebration of beer" microbrews is where it's at;) haha ok enough random discussion, time for a beer!

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
right now i'm drinking a snow cap (pyramid's finest ale) laughing so hard i sharted and had to go check! now i'm back and all i have to say is go read the last two pages of the dhz thread. that is comedy! not that any of this is relavent to this thread.........
except for the microbrew part. life is too short to drink cheap beer!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
fattyfat1 said:
right now i'm drinking a snow cap (pyramid's finest ale)
life is too short to drink cheap beer!
Finally a post I can agree upon. Snowcap is up there with Negro Modelo as my favorite brews.

ok, now back to your regularly scheduled bickering.....

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
mplutodh1 said:
You mean busch? God I don't get how the Freshman here drink it. You can tell you are an upper classman when you refuse to drink watery piss. You learn to appreciate beer. As a friend refered to the Chuckanut Brewfest at the festival - "A non-denominational celebration of beer" microbrews is where it's at;) haha ok enough random discussion, time for a beer!
Ha Ha! You think Busch is bad...Back in the day when I dated a hunter in good O'l Shelton, the beer to drink was Schmidt Ice!!!:drool: Sometimes I got fancy and had Zima's!;)

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
ummbikes said:
Throw in some Black Butte Porter and Dick's Danger and you would have the Holy Quadrinity of beers.
Ah, Yes! Dick's Danger Ale! Have you tried the Mountain Ale? It's good stuff! Dick's is what brought me and my husband together!:D :eek: :thumb:
I tried to get Dicks as a sponsor for my team. I know the owner pretty well! They couldn't do it for liability reasons!!:(

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
MUTOLI said:
Ah, Yes! Dick's Danger Ale! Have you tried the Mountain Ale? It's good stuff! Dick's is what brought me and my husband together!:D :eek: :thumb:
I tried to get Dicks as a sponsor for my team. I know the owner pretty well! They couldn't do it for liability reasons!!:(
Yeah Joy, I can't blame Dicks for not sponsoring you guys. I mean, look at what happened the last time you had a "dicks" thrown your way. You got pregnant!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :nuts:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
holliswood said:
Yeah Joy, I can't blame Dicks for not sponsoring you guys. I mean, look at what happened the last time you had a "dicks" thrown your way. You got pregnant!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :nuts:
*groans*

OK I laughed.....a lot.

:D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
PsychO!1 said:
Speedy Beavers...sponsored by Dick's.

Sounds like a perfect match!!
Well the Dirty Beaver is the one that got pregnant...

:think:

What does that tell us? :D

Maybe we should lock this thread before it gets out of hand? :)

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
RhinofromWA said:
Well the Dirty Beaver is the one that got pregnant...

:think:

What does that tell us? :D

Maybe we should lock this thread before it gets out of hand? :)
:D You guys crack me up! Ethan wants me to wear a shirt when I start to really show that says "Future Fur Trapper" (if it's a boy of course)! :rolleyes:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
MUTOLI said:
Arg! TMI:nope:;)

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
So now that the WIM series is gone.......
What downhill races, series, and events are there around the PNW?
Mt hood Series?
Willamette Pass Series?
BC cup series?
Whistler?
Port Angeles Olympic Meltdown/Spring Fling?
anything else?
:help: