No problem with the 2010 BoXXer (video)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Lee!

(a bit off topic of Boxxer Tuning BUT)

RAD camera angle!

Plus with the sound of the wind buffeting the mic - your bike sounds like the Space Shuttle on take-off!

Probably been covered before, but - what kind of mounts and what kind of cameras are you using - saw them at the Open, but forgot to ask.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
your fork didnt bottom out once of course something is wrong

its supposed to bottom out once or twice a run however smooth the track is ok

super sick angle and video man, good job

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
It's a funky vid, but I'm not convinced it shows anything special about the 2010 forks, I think G.Lee was taking the piss. I'm confident that my 2006 Boxxer Team would look every bit as good (albeit maybe less chunky!) in the same scenario. I'm normally the biggest gear whore there is, AND as a weight weenie I should be jumping all over the newer lighter Boxxer, but I really can't fault the one that I've had for 3 years now! Well, other than it always leaking oil out of the top of the damping leg! :P

k1creeker

Chimp
Mar 11, 2008
your fork didnt bottom out once of course something is wrong

its supposed to bottom out once or twice a run however smooth the track is ok

super sick angle and video man, good job
The 2010 bottom out urethane bumper is about 1.25" too long and a harder durometer than it needs to be. This limits usable travel for DH use to about 7". For big FR hucks you "might" be able to compress it enough to get the last inch, but it's going to be a bit hit.

The upside, is there is never harsh "bottom out" if you run it stock. The other upside is that you can easily get the extra inch back if you want it.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
It has a very long bumper,yes... But I have hit all 8" of travel with it in there so I anot sure what you are getting on about.

I have mine set to have the bumper kick in around 7" and that last inch is only when absolutely slamed. If tunes correctly a fork should stay in the top few inches of travel unless hitting large hits.

Think of how a good bottomout bumper works on rear shocks... It is a similar concept. Just about all of them (except the crap one on a dhx) are an inch long and therefor use between 2-3" of wheel travel to compress.

You can also trim or remove the dropstop bumper from the fork if you don't like it... There are still bumpers at the bottom of the legs as in previous years.

Some like to complain... Others just like more options to get their set up dialed

Wilson

Chimp
Feb 17, 2007
It has a very long bumper,yes... But I have hit all 8" of travel with it in there so I anot sure what you are getting on about.

I have mine set to have the bumper kick in around 7" and that last inch is only when absolutely slamed. If tunes correctly a fork should stay in the top few inches of travel unless hitting large hits.

Think of how a good bottomout bumper works on rear shocks... It is a similar concept. Just about all of them (except the crap one on a dhx) are an inch long and therefor use between 2-3" of wheel travel to compress.

You can also trim or remove the dropstop bumper from the fork if you don't like it... There are still bumpers at the bottom of the legs as in previous years.

Some like to complain... Others just like more options to get their set up dialed
So I could trim the bottom out bumper in order to get that few extra travel and then readjust the bottom out adjustement to my liking ?

I was wondering if cutting down the bumper could be done...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I don't think the botom out bumper is too hard or too long, I've hit the full 8" plenty of times. But the fork in the vid is set up with the bottom out control about 2/3 of the way in so it takes a pretty solid impact to fully bottom. Aside from that I was riding pretty slow since the trails were pretty slick from 2 days of rain and i was fairly well hung over from the night before, plus the camera is right in front of my knee so i can't get too aggressive. pretty much tip-toed through some of the rougher sections so i really wouldn't expect the fork to bottom out on any of the 2 runs i did. and my fork is fully dropped in the crowns so 8" is not all the way up to the lower crown like it might be on some forks.

if anyone is curious about the set up it's a soft spring, 3 clicks HSC and 12 clicks LSC (a lot), ending stroke rebound (red) run fairly quick and the beginning stroke (grey) run a bit slower. i weigh about 160lb.

i shot it for fun, so try not to get to carried away with over analyzing it.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
if anyone is curious about the set up it's a soft spring, 3 clicks HSC and 12 clicks LSC (a lot), ending stroke rebound (red) run fairly quick and the beginning stroke (grey) run a bit slower. i weigh about 160lb.
just curious...why faster end stroke rebound and slower beginning stroke? i thought usually its the other way around.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
just curious...why faster end stroke rebound and slower beginning stroke? i thought usually its the other way around.
only when riding on the internet is it the other way around

stability/better grip... and then the ability to recover from large hits is how you set it up to ride well when you want to ride off the internet :busted:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jon... are you the guy Todd and I were talking to at Plattekill about the wonderful stuff that can be found in China/Taiwan?

If so, nice putting a face with a name in real life
Yup, that was me. Sorry if I didn't properly introduce myself, but I didn't wanna be all "hi I'm Jon Kranked, I'm from the internet!" :biggrin:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
It's the other way around for compression but that way that it was written is for rebound. It caught me off at first when I had a Vivid but then I thought about what is the beginning and end of the rebound stroke.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Running fast LSR can make the front wheel wash out when exiting corners or wander around when steering. set too fast and it feels like the frot weel is rebounding out from underneath you. the pre-06 boxxer had a real problem with this and the 06-09 does too to some extent but not as bad. HSR is set a bit faster because i want to fork to recover from big hits quickly so it can absorb the next one. having the LSR (beginning stroke, last inch or so before top-out) a bit slower lets the fork rebound fairly fast for most of its stroke without losing control and traction; especially in corners.

combined with a lot of LSC and the fork doesn't have a lot of excessive movement at the top end, which keeps the steering angle consistent when shifting weight around, braking, and changing direction quickly. The rear is set up with quite a bit of LSC as well for the same reason. comfort and traction are a big part of suspension set-up but so is stability and consistency over a wide range of terrain and speed.

the video really doesn't show anything useful, its mostly just entertaining. there's no way to tell how big the bumps are or if the fork is compressing too much or too little. since the camera is mounted to the frame it gives the impression that everything is stable and not getting bounced around or pitched forward. you can see the effect of slow LSC/LSR in corners and less bumpy sections, and faster HSR though the rocks.

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
sweet ass vid..I love these kind of angles. thanks for the share.:cheers:
I think that you actually clicked on the Trumpore speedo vid and not the boxxer on. You might want to go back and watch that one instead, unless you're into that kind of thing.