Quantcast

No real intresting posts! here's a tid bit and a ?.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
TID BIT:
Found a great chainstay protective cover, walmart in the plumbing isle.
It's 3/4" wide stretchy, black, no adhesive bonds to itself and extremely pliable and remains stuck. Cost was $5 and its enough to do 2 to 3 bikes. Handles abuse and looks awesome.
A buddys been running it now for over 4 yeqars and hasn't replaced it yet.

?:
Need tire recomendations for wintery weather in the N.W., some snow, rainy days, dry days with crappy trails and some street riding.
Studs are not an option, I currently run Nevegal, blue groove and have maxxis minions 40d slow reazay.

Oh yeah post your tid bits and cheap tricks to make life easier in the DH/FR arena. Wether it be repair, accessories, bike maintenance and or just plain weird tips and tricks for your bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
mtnbrider said:
WHat is it that you put on your chain stay? I have a completely ripped lizard skins one that needs replacing.
Its made for plumbing and it looks great, it sticks to itself and remains in any kinda of condition. It's 22 degrees here today and wet/snowy it stays put, I rode it hard and no problem.
A buddy told me about it, it's on or near the plumbing isle in wal mart. Comes in a roll form and green packaging with clear cover.
Cost is around $5 or $6.

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
bullcrew said:
TID BIT:
Found a great chainstay protective cover, walmart in the plumbing isle.
It's 3/4" wide stretchy, black, no adhesive bonds to itself and extremely pliable and remains stuck. Cost was $5 and its enough to do 2 to 3 bikes. Handles abuse and looks awesome.
A buddys been running it now for over 4 yeqars and hasn't replaced it yet.
I got that on my chainstays too. I have only been using it for 6 months, but it stands up to grinding rough concrete on my DOC.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
I might have to go out and get some of that. Been having a bit of a problem with my chainstay wrap.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Another easy one is to slice an old road tube along the seam and cut out the valve stem. Then you have a long peice of rubber that is pliable and cheap if you happen to have any busted tubes or anything. Seems like kinda the same thing, works great though.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Li'l Dave said:
Another easy one is to slice an old road tube along the seam and cut out the valve stem. Then you have a long peice of rubber that is pliable and cheap if you happen to have any busted tubes or anything. Seems like kinda the same thing, works great though.
Yeah, I saw a guy with an intense tire chunch zip tied to his chainstay and as fork bumpers.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
mtnbrider said:
Does not going there have to do w/ the stampede?
Moral values. I find that conservative Christians shop there. That and the fact that they're constantly trying to drive down prices, which has devastating effects on the employees of their vendors.

Thanks for the pics and info bullcrew.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
bullcrew said:
CLEANING TID BIT:
Model rc cleaner is a degreaser and safe for plastics and painted surfaces. Runs approx $4 a can and is pressurized so it's easy to clean the hard to reach aes of the bike and pressure washes the crus out.

I have some of that. It works good.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I go through the rc spray fast, so i rarely use. When I wash my bike, I use simple green which works really well.

Simple Green is great for armor too. After a few rides or after every ride w/ poison oka, I wash my bidy armor and shin guards w/ it. It seems to work very well. I hate poison oak I get it bad. Posion oak heals faster when you don't sweat (ride), but it it really sucks because I do go out and ride which makes it take longer and itch.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the the chain stay protechtors, i use a rim tape and just wrap it around, use a couple of aip ties to finish it off. cool thing is about this is that you can chose colors!!! right now i got a clear yellow one.. :cool:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The simple green on armor is really good!!!!

When using an allen wrench, cesent wrench or similar wrench, put a pipe on the handle to extend the handle giving more leverage. (some might not know that)

I can't really think of anything right now....

oh... when you put a tire on/ replce a tube, put a bunch of talc powder in the tire and all around the tube. I alwys do this. I haven't had a pinch flat since i've been doing it. Desert motocrossers do this too.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
When you're taking off or installing a stubborn tire, pinch the bead to the center of the rim all the way around.

Keep your hand clear from the chainrings when tacking off the cranks.
Don't use spoke prep on spokes, use a thick oil.
Duct tape is a realy good rim strip as is insilation tape.
Thick XXL zip ties can be used as tire chains.
When tacking apart a Marzocchi make shoure you have a realy rhin wall 12mm socket.
Don't wear a watch when working in the sovant tank.
Never grind Aluminum with a bench grinder. (grinder wheel explodes).
Always double check spoke lengths.
Never use tire irons.
Don't try to smoke pot out of bent fork lowers.
NEVER use the park hp-1 or hp-2 hs press on campy headsets.
The park fag-1/2 works as a good wrench extender.
Ill try to think of more.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
mtnbrider said:

oh... when you put a tire on/ replce a tube, put a bunch of talc powder in the tire and all around the tube. I alwys do this. I haven't had a pinch flat since i've been doing it. Desert motocrossers do this too.

dont use soapy water with talc...use one or the other or u will get a nasty paste

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I've never heard of soapy water. I've heard of soapy water to find holes on tubes. I like talc becasue its dry and fine making it very slick in there w/o a mess. If the talc get on anything, just beat it w/ a cloth, until it comes out (very helpfull in carpet and rugs).

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I put DW40 all over my rotor, pads and everywhere inside the calliper. I even put some in the bleed valve too. That should stop the squeaking. I will let soak over night. When I ride tunnel tomorrow, I won't have to be annoyed by them.